Do atheists need a Caitlyn?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
22-07-2015, 12:39 AM
RE: Do atheists need a Caitlyn?
(22-07-2015 12:20 AM)pablo Wrote:  It's because we oppress them so. Ohmy

It's part of the natural order. Lions eat Christians and atheists dismantle their logic. It's not our fault, it's just the way we are.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
22-07-2015, 01:40 AM
Reallly????????

NO mention of George Carlin or Douglas Adams????????

George was worth 2 Caitlyns....

Doug even more.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
22-07-2015, 01:45 AM
(22-07-2015 01:40 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Reallly????????

NO mention of George Carlin or Douglas Adams????????

George was worth 2 Caitlyns....

Doug even more.

I deliberately declined to mention dead atheists, as they seem to make poor spokespersons, relative to live ones. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
22-07-2015, 04:37 AM
I think the a beneficial thing would be for some successful and relatively popular politicians, both parties, with a good track record of getting things done for their constituents to come out as atheists.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
22-07-2015, 05:54 AM
It's not that there aren't a lot of celebs who ARE atheists, it's ones who are leading the cause (for lack of a better word) that are lacking. Like I said in my OP, a quote here or there in a GQ magazine isn't taking up a cause to end the persecution and/or misunderstanding of atheists. I mean, have an already famous Christian politician, someone with the popularity of an Olympic gold-medal athlete, take over an atheist organization. Have a popular A-list actor stand up on the Academy Award stage and use their victory as a chance to make a speech about atheism in front of millions and millions of viewers, like Tom Hanks did (Philadelphia/AIDS/his gay high school teacher), or an athlete like Jenner at the ESPYs.

You have to admit, there are a lot of similarities between being gay/transgender and being an atheist when it comes to relations with families, friends, work, public persona. How many atheists on here are still in the closet with their co-workers, friends and families? How many on here might benefit from their families seeing someone they respect or admire stand up for atheism the way Jenner did for trans people?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-07-2015, 06:01 AM
(22-07-2015 05:54 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  It's not that there aren't a lot of celebs who ARE atheists, it's ones who are leading the cause (for lack of a better word) that are lacking. Like I said in my OP, a quote here or there in a GQ magazine isn't taking up a cause to end the persecution and/or misunderstanding of atheists. I mean, have an already famous Christian politician, someone with the popularity of an Olympic gold-medal athlete, take over an atheist organization. Have a popular A-list actor stand up on the Academy Award stage and use their victory as a chance to make a speech about atheism in front of millions and millions of viewers, like Tom Hanks did (Philadelphia/AIDS/his gay high school teacher), or an athlete like Jenner at the ESPYs.

You have to admit, there are a lot of similarities between being gay/transgender and being an atheist when it comes to relations with families, friends, work, public persona. How many atheists on here are still in the closet with their co-workers, friends and families? How many on here might benefit from their families seeing someone they respect or admire stand up for atheism the way Jenner did for trans people?

You know, why don't *you* go be the one who does not lack. It's hardly their fault that the media doesn't go ape-shit crazy over them.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-07-2015, 06:11 AM
(21-07-2015 11:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It got me to thinking: Would atheists benefit from a Caitlyn Jenner? In other words, if an A-lister who was an atheist could garner the same attention and accolades as Caitlyn, would the nonbeliever community receive the same boost in acceptance? I realize there are quite a few A-list celebs who are nonbelievers, but very few step up and push the acceptance. Their involvement usually just means a quote in some magazine or meme on FB. But if someone like Brad Pitt led a national atheist organization, what could it mean?

But what would that entail in addition to what is already commonly acknowledged, that a variety of popular celebrities are atheist, Brad Pitt, Neil Tyson, Seth Macfarlane, etc.....?

An atheist organization tends to represent a variety of political causes, like insuring the separation of church and state, threatening restaurants for offering prayer discounts, etc...

I think the real aversion to atheists, has less to do with being atheist, and more to do with perceived antagonism towards the religious, that turn people off primarily. It's that atheist commonly get associated with the Dawkins type, the Madalyn O'Heir type, and I think a variety of atheists organizations perpetuate that stereotype, like Dan Barker on the two occasions when he did the Daily Show.

Atheists like S.E Cupp don't elicit the same vitriol, and seem to be widely accepted.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
22-07-2015, 06:27 AM
(22-07-2015 06:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 11:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It got me to thinking: Would atheists benefit from a Caitlyn Jenner? In other words, if an A-lister who was an atheist could garner the same attention and accolades as Caitlyn, would the nonbeliever community receive the same boost in acceptance? I realize there are quite a few A-list celebs who are nonbelievers, but very few step up and push the acceptance. Their involvement usually just means a quote in some magazine or meme on FB. But if someone like Brad Pitt led a national atheist organization, what could it mean?

But what would that entail in addition to what is already commonly acknowledged, that a variety of popular celebrities are atheist, Brad Pitt, Neil Tyson, Seth Macfarlane, etc.....?

An atheist organization tends to represent a variety of political causes, like insuring the separation of church and state, threatening restaurants for offering prayer discounts, etc...

I think the real aversion to atheists, has less to do with being atheist, and more to do with perceived antagonism towards the religious, that turn people off primarily. It's that atheist commonly get associated with the Dawkins type, the Madalyn O'Heir type, and I think a variety of atheists organizations perpetuate that stereotype, like Dan Barker on the two occasions when he did the Daily Show.

Atheists like S.E Cupp don't elicit the same vitriol, and seem to be widely accepted.

I'd add David Silverman to that group of perpetuating that stereotype. It's why I don't like the American Atheists organization. The stands he and the group take in some situations are ridiculous sometimes when it comes to what is legally justifiably argued. I think part of his agenda as leader of that group is to just start out by making a presence heard though.

I think the difference is where knowledge levels were before. Unless it was Pat Robertson or a president, I don't think there would be a significant political outing impact. Not even a really well known senator or something would do much I think. There has been openly atheistic House members in the recent past.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-07-2015, 06:48 AM
(22-07-2015 06:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 05:54 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  It's not that there aren't a lot of celebs who ARE atheists, it's ones who are leading the cause (for lack of a better word) that are lacking. Like I said in my OP, a quote here or there in a GQ magazine isn't taking up a cause to end the persecution and/or misunderstanding of atheists. I mean, have an already famous Christian politician, someone with the popularity of an Olympic gold-medal athlete, take over an atheist organization. Have a popular A-list actor stand up on the Academy Award stage and use their victory as a chance to make a speech about atheism in front of millions and millions of viewers, like Tom Hanks did (Philadelphia/AIDS/his gay high school teacher), or an athlete like Jenner at the ESPYs.

You know, why don't *you* go be the one who does not lack. It's hardly their fault that the media doesn't go ape-shit crazy over them.

If only millions of people adored me.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
22-07-2015, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 07:16 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
(22-07-2015 06:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Atheists like S.E Cupp don't elicit the same vitriol, and seem to be widely accepted.

Cupp, while very easy on the eyes has said several things that make me question whether she's just playing a part. I'm not trying to make a NTS argument here or anything, but I have heard her say things that I would never expect a non-believer to say and more like what a xtian would think an atheist would say.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post