Do atheists need a Caitlyn?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
22-07-2015, 07:16 AM
RE: Do atheists need a Caitlyn?
I think it'd have to be someone who was famous and had at least given the appearance of being religious and then de-converted in some public manner. Jenner is an interesting case, Bruce Jenner was a symbol of masculinity and determination and the transition to Caitlyn shined a light on the struggles that trans people go through. Sure it also has been and continues to be a highly lucrative media circus, but nonetheless for better or worse Caitlyn has become a symbol. The atheist equivalent would have to be someone who, whether clergy or not, was seen to embody the "values" that religious people embrace, but who had a crisis of faith and came out of it as a free-thinker. I'm not sure who that person would be. Maybe a deceased person who was well admired and some journal or letters or something were discovered that illuminated their journey?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
22-07-2015, 07:25 AM
Maybe the pope?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like WillHopp's post
22-07-2015, 07:26 AM
(22-07-2015 07:13 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 06:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Atheists like S.E Cupp don't elicit the same vitriol, and seem to be widely accepted.

Cupp, while very easy on the eyes has said several things that make me question whether she's just playing a part. I'm not trying to make a NTS argument here or anything, but I have heard her say things that I would never expect a non-believer to say and more like what a xtian would think an atheist would say.

I had no idea who that person was, but looking up the name I see she was on the CNN show crossfire... that show was a highlight of generating horrible dialogue from it's commentators. It's all about creating false antagonistic positions in the you gotta battle both sides debate style.

I don't know why that was a person brought up. If mentioned known political commentators are out there I know that Fox morning guy Greg Gutfeld is an atheist.

(22-07-2015 07:25 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Maybe the pope?

What if Benedict came out as an atheist and that was why he left the Pope-Dome

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
22-07-2015, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 08:08 AM by Bucky Ball.)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/former-m....qoyMam0VM

I know there are a few ... this isn't the one I was thinking about. There's a former marine or Seal team person who transitioned, ... so they alrady have 'em from the military.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-07-2015, 08:03 AM

Definitely, we need the pope to come out as atheist!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
22-07-2015, 08:04 AM
(22-07-2015 07:16 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  The atheist equivalent would have to be someone who, whether clergy or not, was seen to embody the "values" that religious people embrace, but who had a crisis of faith and came out of it as a free-thinker.

Isn't that Dan Barker story? Ryan Bell's story? John W. Loftus's story? There's seem to a variety of others who already fit the bill. Though I don't think any of them yielded the sort of results you wanted.
22-07-2015, 08:08 AM
(22-07-2015 07:13 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 06:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Atheists like S.E Cupp don't elicit the same vitriol, and seem to be widely accepted.

Cupp, while very easy on the eyes has said several things that make me question whether she's just playing a part. I'm not trying to make a NTS argument here or anything, but I have heard her say things that I would never expect a non-believer to say and more like what a xtian would think an atheist would say.

No, I think Cupp as authentic, as those black guys waving the confederate flag are authentic. They may be the uncle toms of the lot, but I see no reason to think any of them are faking it.

But either way, her atheism seems more palatable for theists, and is likely more offensive to other atheists, than believers.
22-07-2015, 08:10 AM
(22-07-2015 08:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  

Definitely, we need the pope to come out as atheist!

Meh. He's the anti-Christ. Just ask anyone at Suscipe Dummy-knee ... our "sister" site. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-07-2015, 09:14 AM
(21-07-2015 11:47 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  An atheist who's willing to speak out about their atheism and put a good face on it in public, eh?

You mean, aside from my top pics of:

Seth MacFarlane
Seth Green
and
Chris Hardwick?

How about?
Fred Armisen
Kevin Bacon
James Cameron
Billy Connolly
David Cross
Guillermo del Toro
Peter Fonda
Ricky Gervais
Jody Foster
Kathy Griffin
Jamie Hyneman
Eric Idle
Eddie Izzard
Penn Jillette (and Teller, too)
Keira Knightley
Bill Maher
John Malcovich
Sir Ian McKellen
Dame Helen Mirren
Patton Oswalt
Joaquin Phoenix
Brad Pitt (mentioned, and says he may be just agnostic)
Daniel Radcliffe
Rob Reiner
Ray Romano
Adam Savage
Ridley Scott
Andy Serkis
Sarah Silverman
Stellan Skarsgard
Matt Stone
Emma Thompson
Joss Whedon
and Gene Wilder
?

Edit to Add: Really should have put Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage in the top list.

Great quote by Hyneman about skepticism:
On December 12, 2006, in an interview on Skepticality, the official podcast of Skeptic, Hyneman said, "[A]ctually I'm pretty adamant about, you know, the whole God thing and it seems that skeptics are by and large atheists or something approaching that, which I strongly identify with. So it turned out to be a good thing and I have become enthusiastically part of it."

Add Julianne Moore to that list. Pretty lady.

Well, my daughter is a transgender atheist. She's not famous though.

Several family members of my husband's southern family blame our atheist views for our daughter being transgender. I just laugh and laugh..... Laugh out load Big Grin

and then I laugh some more.....

Laugh out load Wink Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
22-07-2015, 09:50 AM
(22-07-2015 08:10 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 08:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  Definitely, we need the pope to come out as atheist!

Meh. He's the anti-Christ. Just ask anyone at Suscipe Dummy-knee ... our "sister" site. Weeping

I wasn't aware of that site: I checked it out and couldn't decide whether to laugh or cringe in disgust, especially the thread on baptising the remains of a miscarriage: truly sick and deluded. You could tell there were a few moms on that thread that had a terrible time accepting the idea that maybe their "baby" would be stuck in limbo for all eternity. The convolutions (in thinking) are worthy of Cirque du Soleil.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

As for atheists identifying with a "Caitlyn", the (living) person would have to be
a) very well-known
b) very well-respected
c) someone non-atheists would not expect to be an atheist, given their profession or "good deeds"
d) someone whose "good deeds" speak for themselves and who does those "good deeds" in the name of humanism/betterment of humanity.

I'm thinking perhaps someone like the founder of Doctors without Borders (don't know if that person is an atheist or not).

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post