Do atheists need a Caitlyn?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
23-07-2015, 04:49 PM
RE: Do atheists need a Caitlyn?
(23-07-2015 03:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-07-2015 02:57 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I keep trying to think of an atheist equivalent to Caitlyn Jenner that would work. Movie stars wouldn't do much for the atheists. Several are atheists already and many people think actors are a little screwy to begin with.

This has been on my mind for a while so here is my potential list of "if he/she came out as an atheist" it would make huge different .

Queen Elizabeth

Prince William and Kate what's her name (they'd have to do it together 'cause they're married)

Tom Brokaw

Michael Jordan

Dr Phil

Any future female Olympic gold medal figure skating champions from the US would do.
(Can you imagine how she'd be booed. Instead of cute stuffed panda bears people would throw bibles and crosses on the ice.)

Mickey Mouse

That's my list so far.

Dr. Phil is a religious nut, we'll see the pope come out as atheist before we see Dr. Phil.

I know. That's why he's on my list. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2015, 05:12 PM
(22-07-2015 08:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 07:25 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Maybe the pope?

Definitely, we need the pope to come out as atheist!

Oh it's gonna happen.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-07-2015, 05:22 PM
(22-07-2015 09:50 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 08:10 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Meh. He's the anti-Christ. Just ask anyone at Suscipe Dummy-knee ... our "sister" site. Weeping

I wasn't aware of that site: I checked it out and couldn't decide whether to laugh or cringe in disgust, especially the thread on baptising the remains of a miscarriage: truly sick and deluded. You could tell there were a few moms on that thread that had a terrible time accepting the idea that maybe their "baby" would be stuck in limbo for all eternity. The convolutions (in thinking) are worthy of Cirque du Soleil.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

As for atheists identifying with a "Caitlyn", the (living) person would have to be
a) very well-known
b) very well-respected
c) someone non-atheists would not expect to be an atheist, given their profession or "good deeds"
d) someone whose "good deeds" speak for themselves and who does those "good deeds" in the name of humanism/betterment of humanity.

I'm thinking perhaps someone like the founder of Doctors without Borders (don't know if that person is an atheist or not).

Ah you missed it. Some here were there, and were banned, some there were here. Our ecumenical experiment didn't go well. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-07-2015, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't mind someone like Bill Gates being a public advocate. He has business/boardroom experience, is typically measured in his views/discussions, and does a healthy amount of philanthropy. In the right setting, he can be equal parts diplomatic and persuasive.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
23-07-2015, 09:16 PM
There is some question about Gates' true beliefs. I seem to remember people thinking he was an atheist but his wife's theism got in the way and now he goes to church, etc.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
23-07-2015, 09:42 PM
(23-07-2015 09:16 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  There is some question about Gates' true beliefs. I seem to remember people thinking he was an atheist but his wife's theism got in the way and now he goes to church, etc.
A few months ago, he had "The Magic of Reality" by Richard Dawkins on a recommended books list. I get the feeling he's in the agnostic camp, whether he be theist or atheist.
[+] 2 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
29-07-2015, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2015 03:40 PM by Philanthropic Misanthrope.)
Carl Sagan seemed to be that "Caitlin" for atheists. I'm not sure whether Neil Degrasse Tyson is an atheist or not but he seems like he's definitely a skeptic.
29-07-2015, 03:04 PM
(21-07-2015 11:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Tonight I saw a friend who had a debate on Facebook with one of our mutual friends about Caitlyn Jenner. She had shared a post about the serviceman who defended Jenner getting the Arthur Ashe ESPY and she agreed with him. Our mutual friend found it hard to accept calling Jenner a hero, saying he reserved that term for "real" heroes like servicemen, et al.

When I saw her tonight, I told her I agreed with her that Caitlyn most certainly is a hero to a whole community and that the definition of a hero shouldn't be so narrow as to only include people who put their lives on the line. A passerby stopped and heard us chatting and said she thought it sucked that it had to take someone like Jenner to "legitimize" the trans community, to make it acceptable. What she meant by that was, she felt people should have always accepted trans people. My friend said that's just the way society is, mentioning that black people were once considered lesser humans. I mentioned that gay people have faced the same prejudices and are only now really being recognized for the fine people they are.

It got me to thinking: Would atheists benefit from a Caitlyn Jenner? In other words, if an A-lister who was an atheist could garner the same attention and accolades as Caitlyn, would the nonbeliever community receive the same boost in acceptance? I realize there are quite a few A-list celebs who are nonbelievers, but very few step up and push the acceptance. Their involvement usually just means a quote in some magazine or meme on FB. But if someone like Brad Pitt led a national atheist organization, what could it mean?

We are atheists.

We do NOT require the acceptance of any religious organizations whatsoever, nor do we require the acceptance of anyone opposing atheism. We are bulls in a china shop, and nobody can move us.

That will be all.

Thank you.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
29-07-2015, 09:02 PM
(29-07-2015 03:04 PM)Free Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 11:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Tonight I saw a friend who had a debate on Facebook with one of our mutual friends about Caitlyn Jenner. She had shared a post about the serviceman who defended Jenner getting the Arthur Ashe ESPY and she agreed with him. Our mutual friend found it hard to accept calling Jenner a hero, saying he reserved that term for "real" heroes like servicemen, et al.

When I saw her tonight, I told her I agreed with her that Caitlyn most certainly is a hero to a whole community and that the definition of a hero shouldn't be so narrow as to only include people who put their lives on the line. A passerby stopped and heard us chatting and said she thought it sucked that it had to take someone like Jenner to "legitimize" the trans community, to make it acceptable. What she meant by that was, she felt people should have always accepted trans people. My friend said that's just the way society is, mentioning that black people were once considered lesser humans. I mentioned that gay people have faced the same prejudices and are only now really being recognized for the fine people they are.

It got me to thinking: Would atheists benefit from a Caitlyn Jenner? In other words, if an A-lister who was an atheist could garner the same attention and accolades as Caitlyn, would the nonbeliever community receive the same boost in acceptance? I realize there are quite a few A-list celebs who are nonbelievers, but very few step up and push the acceptance. Their involvement usually just means a quote in some magazine or meme on FB. But if someone like Brad Pitt led a national atheist organization, what could it mean?

We are atheists.

We do NOT require the acceptance of any religious organizations whatsoever, nor do we require the acceptance of anyone opposing atheism. We are bulls in a china shop, and nobody can move us.

That will be all.

Thank you.

Meh, I'm not asking religions to accept us so much as I'm suggesting it would make it easier to break religions from their hold on the gullible. If atheism was seen as being on equal footing with religions then it wouldn't be as difficult to make progress toward keeping separate church and state, etc. There is little doubt that atheism is misunderstood in general and someone similar to a Gloria Steinem or Caitlyn Jenner getting the platform for atheism the way they got it for their "movements" would certainly go a long way to gaining equality and respect.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
29-07-2015, 10:21 PM
What we need is a Christopher Hitchens.

Sadcryface