Do atheists not favor firearms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2012, 08:31 PM
RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
(18-10-2012 08:24 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 09:15 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  No. Shotgun caddies and all the go fast goodies for them are really expensive. I concentrate on pistol because its most relevant to my life, the cheapest for parts and reloading, and the hardest to master.

Well....once you have mastered the pistol, the shotgun and rifle are relatively easy.

From most difficult, to least difficult to master, I'd say the progression is: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun.

Me...I mastered them in almost a bassackwards fashion: Shotgun - Pistol - Rifle.

Julius

I went shotgun, rifle, pistol.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2012, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't say that I have "mastered" any of them, but I will say I have plenty experience using a rifle, followed closely by a pistol and relatively little experience with a shotgun. I would not agree that the rifle is the easiest to master though, I would say it is on par with or more difficult than pistol mastery. With a rifle you have to consider windage, bullet drop/distance (and a spotter depending on the distances), something you rarely have to contemplate as long with a pistol just because your targets are much closer. I'm not saying those are not factors, they are just minimized. If you are firing an automatic rifle you have to take into account accuracy vs. lead slung downrange as well, most folks will never use a machine pistol even if they are military (though some do). Anyhow, I would say shotgun is definitely the easiest to master, although I have far less time behind a shotgun (probably less than 500 rounds) I would sooner consider myself a master at it than the others, and I am not a bad shot either (I usually qualify as expert or sharpshooter for the military depending on which branch of service's version of the test I take.) So there is my opinion.

Oh, by the way, I learned rifle first, then pistol and shotgun at about the same time.

Find all posts by this user
18-10-2012, 10:50 PM
(18-10-2012 08:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 08:24 PM)Julius Wrote:  Well....once you have mastered the pistol, the shotgun and rifle are relatively easy.

From most difficult, to least difficult to master, I'd say the progression is: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun.

Me...I mastered them in almost a bassackwards fashion: Shotgun - Pistol - Rifle.

Julius

I went shotgun, rifle, pistol.

Thar sounds good like a pretty good order. One thing I never understood is why guys who shoot pistols keep saying "Concentrate on the Front Site" - as this doesn't help much. What does help is being able to look down a barrel site like one would ride a Bicycle - you just subconciously get everything aligned and shoot. After shooting the shotgun for years at fast-moving targets, I realized that conciously aiming a pistol was a "Loser Propositinn". As a result, I taught myself to aim a pistol instinctively through thousands of" dry-fire point-and shoot" drills that did not even use live ammo. I leaned more about how to point and shoot a pistol from fry-fire drills that I ever learned out at the range - and this goes for the shotgun, too.

Afterwards, it was the rifle where I had to slow a bit and learn the ballistics - but I had the aiming and trigger down just fine by then.

Later, I tested this philosophy of learning to shoot by teaching three friends how to shoot - and they shot better than I did within just a few range trips. Of course, my philosphy of how to shoot a pistol will never gain popularity - since it cost relatively little and doesn;t rely on proffessional instruction - there is just no money in it.
19-10-2012, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2012 10:20 AM by TheBlackKnight.)
Re: RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
(18-10-2012 10:50 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 08:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  I went shotgun, rifle, pistol.

Thar sounds good like a pretty good order. One thing I never understood is why guys who shoot pistols keep saying "Concentrate on the Front Site" - as this doesn't help much. What does help is being able to look down a barrel site like one would ride a Bicycle - you just subconciously get everything aligned and shoot. After shooting the shotgun for years at fast-moving targets, I realized that conciously aiming a pistol was a "Loser Propositinn". As a result, I taught myself to aim a pistol instinctively through thousands of" dry-fire point-and shoot" drills that did not even use live ammo. I leaned more about how to point and shoot a pistol from fry-fire drills that I ever learned out at the range - and this goes for the shotgun, too.

Afterwards, it was the rifle where I had to slow a bit and learn the ballistics - but I had the aiming and trigger down just fine by then.

Later, I tested this philosophy of learning to shoot by teaching three friends how to shoot - and they shot better than I did within just a few range trips. Of course, my philosphy of how to shoot a pistol will never gain popularity - since it cost relatively little and doesn;t rely on proffessional instruction - there is just no money in it.

What kind of shooting tests do you use to test these techniques?

Point shooting dose not work with small target areas at distance. Its impossible to call a shot without seeing where the front sight was as it lifts during recoil. Its has nothing to do with a conspirisy of selling training but more about knowing where your rounds are hitting without looking at the target,which will make you extremly slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q1XC8k-...ata_player
19-10-2012, 04:12 PM
(19-10-2012 10:06 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 10:50 PM)Julius Wrote:  Thar sounds good like a pretty good order. One thing I never understood is why guys who shoot pistols keep saying "Concentrate on the Front Site" - as this doesn't help much. What does help is being able to look down a barrel site like one would ride a Bicycle - you just subconciously get everything aligned and shoot. After shooting the shotgun for years at fast-moving targets, I realized that conciously aiming a pistol was a "Loser Propositinn". As a result, I taught myself to aim a pistol instinctively through thousands of" dry-fire point-and shoot" drills that did not even use live ammo. I leaned more about how to point and shoot a pistol from fry-fire drills that I ever learned out at the range - and this goes for the shotgun, too.

What kind of shooting tests do you use to test these techniques?

Point shooting dose not work with small target areas at distance. Its impossible to call a shot without seeing where the front sight was as it lifts during recoil. Its has nothing to do with a conspirisy of selling training but more about knowing where your rounds are hitting without looking at the target,which will make you extremly slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q1XC8k-...ata_player

With a pistol, I am not doing anything like "Point Shooting" - I am aiming and I'm aware of where the front site is located. Of course, I just don't think about the front site so much when I'm throwing live rounds. Please let me explain.

For every live round I shoot out of my pistol, I make no less than about 100 dry-fires - or just putting the sites on target. When I'm just pointing a pistol, I tend to aim fairly rapidly after choosing a target, freeze, and then carefully check the alignment of my sites. After I get "on", I'll slowly pick up the speed. After I do this thousands of times, I "forget to aim" so-to-speak. m Yeah...I am aiming, but I do it subconciously and I have most of my concious concentration - and my eyes focused - on the target. So...unlike the shooting video you posted, my target is clear and in focus while the back site and front site of my pistol are blurred (i.e., out of focus). Nevertheless, despite my sites being out of foucus, I can pretty much tell where I hit when I shoot no faster than that guy in the video you posted, but when I shoot much faster - then not so good as far as calling the shots.

Again, this comes through much dry-firing with the front site in focus and constantly checking site alignment during practice, but always having the target in focus when I shoot. And yes...you can remember the front site position well enough when it is out of focus to estimate where you are hitting.

Most of this stuff I learned through fry-firing the pistol and from what I learned while I was duck-hunting regularly with my shotgun. It works against live targets and it works at the range - and it has worked for three other people I have taught (who shoot and practice more and who quickly became much better than myself).

Here's a drill to start off: put your unloaded pistol on a table about hip high and position your feet and body in the isoceles. Choose a target, pick up the pistol and aim it and then check site alignment when you are ready to fire. Start slowly - very slowly - and then speed it up as you get better. At first, concentrate on the sites and get the site alignment perfect, and then concentrate soley on the target so that it - and not the sites - are in focus. Do not start fast. Just get it perfect at first and with perfection you will build speed. Do this about 100 times a day for a week. You will notice a difference at the range.

Hope this helps.
19-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Re: Do atheists not favor firearms?
I dry fire a lot. Im doing mike seeklanders program right now. Your doing a soft sight focus. The only high level pro shooter who does this is Jerry Barnhart, and he hasnt competed in years.

I just wanted to know if you run any standard drills at longer distances and what your times are with all alphas.
19-10-2012, 06:00 PM
(19-10-2012 05:07 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  I dry fire a lot. Im doing mike seeklanders program right now. Your doing a soft sight focus. The only high level pro shooter who does this is Jerry Barnhart, and he hasnt competed in years.

I just wanted to know if you run any standard drills at longer distances and what your times are with all alphas.

Yes, I shoot at longer ranges (i.e., 25 yards) in order to determine if I'm developing any quirks in my form, but I do not practice at 25 yards as if I ever expect to engage at that distance. I have one drill where I run like hell away from the danger to some cover, then stop and get ready to fire. Another drill is where I make to fire from the ground (as if I had the crap knocked out of me).

I always practice figuring the Bad Guy will be approaching me - or he will have ambushed me - and I will be trying to get far away as fast as possible! Also, I don't shoot for time nor do I compete. I just want to know the pistol well enough to be useful as a part of my self defense strategy.
20-10-2012, 02:26 PM
(19-10-2012 06:00 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(19-10-2012 05:07 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  I dry fire a lot. Im doing mike seeklanders program right now. Your doing a soft sight focus. The only high level pro shooter who does this is Jerry Barnhart, and he hasnt competed in years.

Yes, I shoot at longer ranges (i.e., 25 yards) in order to determine if I'm developing any quirks in my form, but I do not practice at 25 yards as if I ever expect to engage at that distance. I have one drill where I run like hell away from the danger to some cover, then stop and get ready to fire. Another drill is where I make to fire from the ground (as if I had the crap knocked out of me).

I always practice figuring the Bad Guy will be approaching me - or he will have ambushed me - and I will be trying to get far away as fast as possible! Also, I don't shoot for time nor do I compete. I just want to know the pistol well enough to be useful as a part of my self defense strategy.

Confused

you should check out a guy named Rob Pincus ie Combat Focus Shooting. Sounds right up your alley.
20-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Good: Dad wants to give me one of his extra vz. 82 9mm Makarov handguns (he has three)

Good: It has a 12 round magazine

Bad: California bans magazines over 10 rounds

Good: The vz. 82 9mm magazines are interchangeable with the vz. 82 .380ACP magazines

Good: The magazines hold one more round of .380 ammunition than 9mm ammunition

Bad: This means that a 10 round 9mm Makarov magazine would be considered an 11 round magazine under California law because it can hold 11 rounds of .380ACP

Bad: This means that the magazine would need to be limited to 9 rounds of 9mm

Bad: Dad is not convinced on the safety of pinned or otherwise modified magazines and is unwilling to modify them

Bad: Factory 9 round magazines are $50 a pop and are scarce on the used market

Conclusion: No vz. 82 for me for the foreseeable future.

Sad

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
20-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Re: Do atheists not favor firearms?
California is surronded by firearms friendly states who dont put their citizens at a disadvantage to criminals.