Do atheists not favor firearms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2012, 08:56 AM
(27-10-2012 08:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-10-2012 08:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  No you can't.

Fucking Earmuffs.

WELL TO BAD! I WILL NOT BE OPPRESSED!

*fires gun into air*

That's better. You beta Aussies need to lighten up a little.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
(27-10-2012 08:56 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-10-2012 08:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  WELL TO BAD! I WILL NOT BE OPPRESSED!

*fires gun into air*

That's better. You beta Aussies need to lighten up a little.

WE DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING!! YOU CAN'T TELL US WHAT WE NEED TO DO!!!

RRRAAAWWWRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: 425-the-incredible-hulk-033108.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-10-2012, 09:04 AM
(27-10-2012 09:01 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-10-2012 08:56 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  That's better. You beta Aussies need to lighten up a little.

WE DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING!! YOU CAN'T TELL US WHAT WE NEED TO DO!!!

Well now I see why you don't need to favor firearms.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-10-2012, 09:08 AM
(27-10-2012 09:04 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-10-2012 09:01 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  WE DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING!! YOU CAN'T TELL US WHAT WE NEED TO DO!!!

Well now I see why you don't need to favor firearms.

Yeah, when you're the hulk it's not like you're gonna have mugging issues at night when walking down poorly lit dark alleys dressed as a women.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Aww...I heard it several years ago and took it for granted. My bad. In any case, I still agree with it...

28-10-2012, 02:44 AM
I am glad you disagree with me on the point you do Dark Light because its a subject that I have to admit I don't truly understand or agree with, perfect debate fuel. It probably mostly has to do with the fact that I was raised and lived in countries that haven't had a violent internal war for many centuries before the War of Independence, or never had a violent upheaval to gain freedom.

(27-10-2012 01:55 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I spent several years in the most powerful military that the world has ever known, and I have confidence that if they government ever overstepped its bounds so much as to incite a civil war in which a police state combated its citizens the citizens would be victorious.

I am a little confused by your wording on this one. Are you saying that should a civil war against an oppressive government break out that the military would back the populous and win, or that an armed populous could legitimately pose a threat to a military backed government? If it is the former than I agree with you, but militia vs military not so much. Now I am not an American, but I have had the pleasure of seeing American military might on display and I am sure you and I can both agree that the mere concept of facing such a force is enough to make most sane opposing forces stand down, and seek a change of pants. For me the idea that even the best trained and armed militia forces could stand a chance is pretty much a downright impossibility.

(27-10-2012 01:55 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Governments have historically grown to oppress their people of over time. It is more often than not a question of when rather than if it will happen. I do not foresee this happening mind you, but time will tell, and perhaps can be delayed because of the right which we hold. I know this may seem paranoid, but I am not thinking it terms of decades, I am thinking in terms of centuries. Look back just three centuries and see how often this has occurred.

Your are correct that the past few......er......millennia, are a litany of either established or encroaching oppression on a nation's population. Everything from Rome to Feudal Europe to Communist Russia to Nazi Germany (hey, someone had to break Godwin's law at some point) to McCarthyism to the PATRIOT ACT. Such patterns are ones that we should all be concerned about as free thinking individuals. Lets not forget that not so long ago, being an atheist translated (to some idiots) to being a communist. But I must disagree with you on this idea that we need to preemptively arm ourselves for the great revolution to come. I know that Jefferson said that there should be an armed rebellion every 20 years, but I think this does step over the line of overkill. A deliberate and necessary rebellion of an overarching government is a reaction to a problem, an act of necessity taken by a complacent populace who have allowed their government to get out of hand by not being proactive in their political education and voting habits. You can do more damage to a government these days with a decent education and a ballot box than you could ever do with a gun.

This is also one of the reasons I am glade that voting is compulsory where I live, it forces people to pay attention to what the government is doing.

(27-10-2012 01:55 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  George Washington said "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

As ClydeLee pointed out this isn't actually a quote from Washington, but I'm not going to criticize. Funny anecdote; I, for years, used to joke to people at work on bad days that “Work sets you free”, thinking it was a quote from Lenin. It was only after an embarrassingly long time that some one corrected me that it was actually from the sign that hung over the entrance of Auschwitz. I Google my quotes now. Hobo

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
30-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Re: RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
(28-10-2012 02:44 AM)Dunhill808 Wrote:  I am glad you disagree with me on the point you do Dark Light because its a subject that I have to admit I don't truly understand or agree with, perfect debate fuel. It probably mostly has to do with the fact that I was raised and lived in countries that haven't had a violent internal war for many centuries before the War of Independence, or never had a violent upheaval to gain freedom.

(27-10-2012 01:55 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I spent several years in the most powerful military that the world has ever known, and I have confidence that if they government ever overstepped its bounds so much as to incite a civil war in which a police state combated its citizens the citizens would be victorious.

I am a little confused by your wording on this one. Are you saying that should a civil war against an oppressive government break out that the military would back the populous and win, or that an armed populous could legitimately pose a threat to a military backed government? If it is the former than I agree with you, but militia vs military not so much. Now I am not an American, but I have had the pleasure of seeing American military might on display and I am sure you and I can both agree that the mere concept of facing such a force is enough to make most sane opposing forces stand down, and seek a change of pants. For me the idea that even the best trained and armed militia forces could stand a chance is pretty much a downright impossibility.

(27-10-2012 01:55 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Governments have historically grown to oppress their people of over time. It is more often than not a question of when rather than if it will happen. I do not foresee this happening mind you, but time will tell, and perhaps can be delayed because of the right which we hold. I know this may seem paranoid, but I am not thinking it terms of decades, I am thinking in terms of centuries. Look back just three centuries and see how often this has occurred.

Your are correct that the past few......er......millennia, are a litany of either established or encroaching oppression on a nation's population. Everything from Rome to Feudal Europe to Communist Russia to Nazi Germany (hey, someone had to break Godwin's law at some point) to McCarthyism to the PATRIOT ACT. Such patterns are ones that we should all be concerned about as free thinking individuals. Lets not forget that not so long ago, being an atheist translated (to some idiots) to being a communist. But I must disagree with you on this idea that we need to preemptively arm ourselves for the great revolution to come. I know that Jefferson said that there should be an armed rebellion every 20 years, but I think this does step over the line of overkill. A deliberate and necessary rebellion of an overarching government is a reaction to a problem, an act of necessity taken by a complacent populace who have allowed their government to get out of hand by not being proactive in their political education and voting habits. You can do more damage to a government these days with a decent education and a ballot box than you could ever do with a gun.

This is also one of the reasons I am glade that voting is compulsory where I live, it forces people to pay attention to what the government is doing.

(27-10-2012 01:55 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  George Washington said "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

As ClydeLee pointed out this isn't actually a quote from Washington, but I'm not going to criticize. Funny anecdote; I, for years, used to joke to people at work on bad days that “Work sets you free”, thinking it was a quote from Lenin. It was only after an embarrassingly long time that some one corrected me that it was actually from the sign that hung over the entrance of Auschwitz. I Google my quotes now. Hobo

Why are you assuming is civil war did happen that even a majority of the us military would take orders? Most of the military cant shoot or fight anyway, they can however make px runs and do some sweet paper work and mop the deck.
30-10-2012, 10:10 PM
(27-10-2012 08:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Can I just say that the argument of "we have a right to guns because if the government oppresses us we can just kill them" is such a piss poor argument that is extremely flawed and is really only said by complete idiots as to how the real world operates.

Just my 2c
As you were.

All the mass graves out there say otherwise.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
30-10-2012, 11:12 PM
(30-10-2012 10:10 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(27-10-2012 08:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Can I just say that the argument of "we have a right to guns because if the government oppresses us we can just kill them" is such a piss poor argument that is extremely flawed and is really only said by complete idiots as to how the real world operates.

Just my 2c
As you were.

All the mass graves out there say otherwise.

In relation to American public.

31-10-2012, 03:59 PM
(30-10-2012 11:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 10:10 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  All the mass graves out there say otherwise.

In relation to American public.

Ask the people who had their firearms taken during Katrina, by the few police that were left.