Do atheists not favor firearms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Do atheists not favor firearms?
Listened to the atheist party podcast, and listening to the L vs R podcast right now.

Like a lot of issues, we are victims of our prospective, and pro and anti gunners are no different.

I'm here to provide a positive prospective for firearms. My background is: Grew up in the midwest to a father who liked to plink(non serious shooting at trivial targets, ie just fun) and was a NRA instructor for the local 4-h program teaching grades 3-12 basic rifle fundamentals and taking shooting teams to state matches. I did this from 3-12 grade, shot some matches. Bought a pistol when I turned 21, got my carry permit and took some classes to hone pistol skills. Joined the Marines a year later, and my first year in became a marksmanship coach, and very much liked that small part of my job and have made it the big part. I've also trained under the guy who's responsible for USMC's combat marksmanship program. I also shoot IPSC, which is in every country it's legal to be. I'm going into law enforcement soon and will continue with training and shooting sports. I own a semi auto shotgun, a AR15, 2 glock style handguns, one for carry, and one for sport, and a .22 pistol for training and for my wife to shoot. I'm more of a shooter vs a gun collector. I value skill over simply having firearms.

Why I feel a lot of people have such a servere adverstion to firearms is they have no positive reinforcement. They dont know anyone who owns or is willing to admit it, so they only"know" what they see on movies,the press, and from anti gun politicians who are in the same knowledge level they do. You can tell this by the very words and things they say, such as "the gun went off" and "if you get shot in the head, you will die" to "assault rifle" etc etc.

So what we have is both sides saying that "guns are the problem" and "guns are the solution" when this is not even the issue. The gun does nothing without being acted apon.

So what questions do you guys have about firearms? What is your prospective, and background if any? Your thoughts on "high capacity assualt rifles" or people making their own ammo, or "what kind of training do military and cops even get anyway"? Fire away you godless dogsLaughat

[Image: 293000_144845195657837_1096112086_n.jpg][Image: IMG954707.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBlackKnight's post
09-10-2012, 06:34 PM
RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
Actually researching to buy a gun now, got lots of good info on here a couple weeks ago.

There are more than a few gun owners around here.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-10-2012, 06:36 PM
The word you want is "perspective". Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Im kinda pro gun myself. I have two shotguns and a henry lever action. And my best friend is sponsored by glock. So you will have no opposition from me. But do you still participate in matches?

I ate the eleven Hunters before me Smile
09-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I have a Colt AR-15 and a Ruger Mini14, and multiple magazines for each. I prefer the Ruger.

Do you do any shotgun sports?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Remember the forum has members from all over world with diverse perspectives based on culture. I wouldn't ascribe pro-gun or anti-gun stances to atheism. It's much more than that...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
09-10-2012, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 08:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-10-2012 06:32 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  I value skill over simply having firearms.

I got no problem with skilled, properly trained citizens with a demonstrated capacity for proper use owning whatever firearms they want. I would like to keep them out of the hands of sociopaths and psychopaths. Myself, I got Mossberg shotguns for home protection but am not comfortable owning handguns. If it's too convenient I might just off myself in one of my many fugues. Tongue

(09-10-2012 06:32 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  [Image: IMG954707.jpg]

In addition to keeping firearms out of the hands of sociopaths and psycopaths, think we should at least consider keeping them out of the hands of fucking aliens with eyes but no nose or mouth. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Re: RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
(09-10-2012 06:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  The word you want is "perspective". Thumbsup

You do the spelling, ill do the trolling.

(09-10-2012 06:42 PM)TwelfthHunter Wrote:  Im kinda pro gun myself. I have two shotguns and a henry lever action. And my best friend is sponsored by glock. So you will have no opposition from me. But do you still participate in matches?

Whos your friend? All of Glock's talent recently did a mass exodus to other teams. I think the only pro shooters they still have is KC and randi rodgers,and im not sure about her.
09-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Re: RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
(09-10-2012 06:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Do you do any shotgun sports?

No. Shotgun caddies and all the go fast goodies for them are really expensive. I concentrate on pistol because its most relevant to my life, the cheapest for parts and reloading, and the hardest to master.
09-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I currently don't own a gun, but I grew up shooting them. I still shoot every time I go and visit my dad out in Maryland, he has a great collection of antique military arms. From the Brown Bess to the M1 Garand, from the Mississippi Musket to the Swiss K31 and a Swedish Mauser, from the SKS to the M1 Carbine, and from the M1911 to the vz. 52.

He's promised me one of his vz. 82s once I can afford the hobby, and he might give me the old Savage Mk. II I learned on. That gives me a couple of cheap, fun plinking guns. Big Grin

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.