Do atheists not favor firearms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2012, 12:14 AM
RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
[corny joke]I got these two guns right here. *kisses biceps*[/corny joke]

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
10-10-2012, 02:17 AM
Re: Do atheists not favor firearms?
I don't know anyone who doesn't have a gun because of aversion but I suppose that's possible. but plenty of atheists have guns including some on here.

Many people in general don't have guns because they have no reinforcement in either way to get a gun.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
10-10-2012, 02:22 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 02:46 AM by depat.)
I live in Texas USA and raised my children here, but I grew to adulthood in Calif. This may make a difference to my view.

Personally, guns are not for me; they were not for me as a Christian, and they are not for me as an Atheist. I do keep a rubber hammer on the seat of my car, and if I find myself walking say between the hours of 11:00pm- and 6:00am in Houston (just moved from there), I'll carry it.

I do not care to chance killing or significantly hurting anyone. Please don't argue that If I or one of my loved ones were in mortal danger I would change my mind. It's happened; I will not.

In any case, I support the right to bear arms in America as this is a critical cornerstone to our constitution, part of our ideology.

I will vote against loosening gun laws, such as allowing concealed handguns in universities and colleges. I believe right now, we are in a fairly good place concerning gun laws.
10-10-2012, 02:47 AM
I'm fine with having firearms. I'm also fine with home defense.
10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
[opinion]I support the general right of citizens to keep and bear arms. But I believe in restrictions on what those arms can be. There are three legal reasons why someone would need to acquire guns; sports, hunting, and self defense. Gun laws should be designed around allowing people to possess arms for those purposes, but restrict anything that is not reasonable for those purposes. So basically, handguns, shotguns, and rifles (bolt or semi-auto) are your options. Beyond "I think guns are cool", there is no reason to start allowing assault rifles and submachine guns in my country.[/opinion]

I do not currently possess any firearms, though I intend to. I have had experiences with bb guns and bows, and it got me interested in sport shooting. I'm a safety-paranoid type, so I'm going to get a lot of training and education in the future in preparation

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
10-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I live inside the city limits of my town close to the hospital and a fair amount of foot traffic. I leave my wife and kids at home for days or sometimes a couple of weeks at a pop. We keep a snub nose .38 inside a locked safe. Over the years, she's only used it once. Two guys came knocking on the door at about 23:00 one night claiming to just need a light for a cigarette. Like, are you serious? The Mrs says "hold on" and then brandishing the .38 remarks "you think this will light it up?". Only thing she saw through the door window after that was assholes and elbows ;-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2012, 09:32 PM
1. Atheism says nothing about the persons quality of rationality or morality, or any tastes that they can be expected to have, or views held. Atheists may be angels, or dicks, warmongering, or pacifists.

2. As an Atheist, my views on firearms are as follows:

they are weapons of war. Designed with the expressed intent to kill and maim. They are meant to destroy lives. These tools serve no other purpose. A failure of society can be, in part, determined by the number of firearms circulating.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
11-10-2012, 07:18 AM
I love firearms, very pro gun ownership. My Atheism doesn't figure into most of my political views.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
11-10-2012, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 01:28 PM by Dark Light.)
I grew up in Tennessee. My parents owned a shotgun, and a old .22, but there were never used, they were heirlooms. My Dad didn't really know what he was doing when it came to shooting as his father died when he was 13, so he just never had anyone to teach him. My Papaw (Grandfather, Mother's Father) taught me how to shoot a rifle when I was about 13, and taught me to reload ammo (measure the gun powder, put in the primer, etc). Then (and only then) my parents allowed me to get a BB gun, which I must've put a thousands of BBs through per month at first. At 20 I joined the Navy and learned to shoot a pistol properly, and a shotgun in bootcamp, then I went to Security Reaction Force Basic school (SRFB, now defunct) to learn more skills, how to properly use the M-16, tactical movement, breach and clear, non-lethal options (Hand to hand, baton, and some almighty pepper spray), etc. A couple of years after that, all the stuff you have to train before being deployed in a war zone (same as before plus Light Machine Guns, Mounted Machine Guns, tactical driving, convoys, yadda, yadda, yadda) Anyway, since then I have been a gun owner (If I could afford it, I would probably have 30 by now). I carry a .40 Baby Eagle aka Jericho (legally), I own a pre-WWI German (Imperial) 8mm K98a Mauser, and a .22 remington speedmaster for plinking, and target practice. I am an advocate of firearm ownership fro all free citizens. As George Washington said "It is the peoples liberty teeth." Plus everyone should have the ability to defend their home and family against thus. I am for loosening up gun laws, but I recognize the need for some restrictions. Next on the list "sawed off" shotgun for home (again, the legal verson with a 20 inch barrel). Probably Mossberg-500.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
11-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Re: RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
(10-10-2012 09:32 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  1. Atheism says nothing about the persons quality of rationality or morality, or any tastes that they can be expected to have, or views held. Atheists may be angels, or dicks, warmongering, or pacifists.

2. As an Atheist, my views on firearms are as follows:

they are weapons of war. Designed with the expressed intent to kill and maim. They are meant to destroy lives. These tools serve no other purpose. A failure of society can be, in part, determined by the number of firearms circulating.

I guess, if you have a real intense alpha type mindset, you could consider competition,sport, hunting and home defense "war".