Do atheists not favor firearms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2012, 04:32 PM
RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
(20-10-2012 02:41 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Good: Dad wants to give me one of his extra vz. 82 9mm Makarov handguns (he has three)

Good: It has a 12 round magazine

Bad: California bans magazines over 10 rounds

Good: The vz. 82 9mm magazines are interchangeable with the vz. 82 .380ACP magazines

Good: The magazines hold one more round of .380 ammunition than 9mm ammunition

Bad: This means that a 10 round 9mm Makarov magazine would be considered an 11 round magazine under California law because it can hold 11 rounds of .380ACP

Bad: This means that the magazine would need to be limited to 9 rounds of 9mm

Bad: Dad is not convinced on the safety of pinned or otherwise modified magazines and is unwilling to modify them

Bad: Factory 9 round magazines are $50 a pop and are scarce on the used market

Conclusion: No vz. 82 for me for the foreseeable future.

Sad

And why not just ignore the magazine limit?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2012, 04:01 AM
(20-10-2012 02:26 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(19-10-2012 06:00 PM)Julius Wrote:  Yes, I shoot at longer ranges (i.e., 25 yards) in order to determine if I'm developing any quirks in my form, but I do not practice at 25 yards as if I ever expect to engage at that distance. I have one drill where I run like hell away from the danger to some cover, then stop and get ready to fire. Another drill is where I make to fire from the ground (as if I had the crap knocked out of me).

I always practice figuring the Bad Guy will be approaching me - or he will have ambushed me - and I will be trying to get far away as fast as possible! Also, I don't shoot for time nor do I compete. I just want to know the pistol well enough to be useful as a part of my self defense strategy.

Confused

you should check out a guy named Rob Pincus ie Combat Focus Shooting. Sounds right up your alley.

No...that Pincus guy is a day-dreamer with adolescent visions of urban combat. Whatever he's selling, it's not self defense as a normal citizen would ever need to practice it.
Find all posts by this user
21-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Guns? I ain't got no guns. I don't need no stinking guns.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
21-10-2012, 11:12 AM
(20-10-2012 04:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 02:41 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Good: Dad wants to give me one of his extra vz. 82 9mm Makarov handguns (he has three)

Good: The vz. 82 9mm magazines are interchangeable with the vz. 82 .380ACP magazines

Bad: This means that a 10 round 9mm Makarov magazine would be considered an 11 round magazine under California law because it can hold 11 rounds of .380ACP

Bad: Dad is not convinced on the safety of pinned or otherwise modified magazines and is unwilling to modify them

Sad

And why not just ignore the magazine limit?

You can get kicked off a range for it (they will count shots, because otherwise they can get in trouble for it), and I don't want to drive an hour to the uninhabited parts of the desert just to plink with a pistol.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
21-10-2012, 12:32 PM
California has all the things and want and all the thing I hate.

21-10-2012, 10:25 PM

Sad

If you are that worried, then why not just weld a plug in the mag so that it only holds 10 rounds....or whatever? It's not a big deal.
22-10-2012, 06:20 AM
(21-10-2012 11:12 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 04:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  And why not just ignore the magazine limit?

You can get kicked off a range for it (they will count shots, because otherwise they can get in trouble for it), and I don't want to drive an hour to the uninhabited parts of the desert just to plink with a pistol.

Just put the legal number of rounds in the mag. Geez, don't complicate it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I used to be against gun ownership by private citizens until my mom told me a funny story. For the record, she was against guns as well, even going so far as to boycott Walmart because they sell weapons. Anyway, the story goes something like this. It was during Katrina, and there was a woman who lived on a house boat in the bayou. She wasn't too worried about the weather, since her home wouldn't really be destroyed, it would just float away. And then she realized she had chained her home to a tree, and it was raining so hard that she couldn't get to the mechanism to release it. So she went into her house, pulled out her shot gun or whatever, and shot toward it, (it was kind of hard to see), and the chain was broken. Her house was tossed around a bit, but she and her home survived mostly intact, thanks to her trusty shotgun. I don't know if the story is actually true, but it proves an important point. Sometimes private ownership of firearms does come in handy. Wink

Don't Panic...and carry a towel. Thumbsup ...Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
22-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Being a Moderate libertarian, I favor proper citizens having guns. I just believe we need to spend more time checking peeps out on their mental status, instead of adding more pointless Gun Control laws.
[+] 1 user Likes FreudianSlipped's post
22-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Oh I prefer to use my fists. : )

But on a serious note I'm pretty cautious around them, I don't think I'd really want one, but I don't live in a safe part of Texas so maybe my opinion will change.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.