Do atheists not favor firearms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 08:12 PM
RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
There's a safe part of Texas?

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 08:45 PM
(22-10-2012 08:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  There's a safe part of Texas?

Yeah...there are a lot of pretty-safe parts around Texas: despite all the guns and whackos ya' here about in the news. Like anywhere else, 99.99% of Texans just want to peacefully live their lives without any crazy complications. Really...it's mostly pretty much without great-existential drama in Texas, and I figure that's a good thing.
22-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Pretty safe isn't really safe. And I live in one of the safest areas in TX...unless you count the nasty spiders and cat killing coyotes and nuts on motorcycles that pop wheelies to avoid red light cameras, oh and that whole West Nile thing.

As for the original concept...atheism really has nothing to do with like or dislike of guns. I fail to see how there can be a connection.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
23-10-2012, 07:17 AM
(22-10-2012 08:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Pretty safe isn't really safe. And I live in one of the safest areas in TX...unless you count the nasty spiders and cat killing coyotes and nuts on motorcycles that pop wheelies to avoid red light cameras, oh and that whole West Nile thing.

As for the original concept...atheism really has nothing to do with like or dislike of guns. I fail to see how there can be a connection.

Well, one difference is that atheists don't have a God-given right to own a gun. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Re: RE: Do atheists not favor firearms?
(22-10-2012 08:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As for the original concept...atheism really has nothing to do with like or dislike of guns. I fail to see how there can be a connection.

I like to think of atheists as rational people who use evidence to come to conclusions. I have yet to find a anti-gun politician who uses objective studies to try to enact effective gun control laws.

You can tell by the way people talk that they have a irrational misunderstanding of firearms. Ever heard someone say"and then the gun went off". Just like, you know, when you're driving and the car just crashes itself?

Look at the 2nd debate, when obama said he wanted to ban "ak47 assault rifles". Well by that description, full auto and select fire firearms have been regulated since the NFA laws of 1934, and are extremly hard to obtain even for the most squeeky clean citizen, and also 20x the price bc of the law. Since 1934, there have only been 2 crimes comitted with legally owned class 3 firearms, and one of those was buy a cop in ohio. See how that is a non issue? But because most people have no clue about what a assault rifle actually is or that they are already highly regulated, and statistically are less of a problem then pencils.

(21-10-2012 04:01 AM)Julius Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 02:26 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Confused

you should check out a guy named Rob Pincus ie Combat Focus Shooting. Sounds right up your alley.

No...that Pincus guy is a day-dreamer with adolescent visions of urban combat. Whatever he's selling, it's not self defense as a normal citizen would ever need to practice it.
Thank you. You should shoot a comp. Its lots of fun. Once your sights are up, shooting is shooting.
24-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I do not own a gun nor intend to, but in reference to providing favor in firearms themselves is more or less a split in terms of how people use them, how people want to use them, how people should use them and how people shouldn't use them. For example my state of Missouri this year alone has had many cases in public areas where guns became a resort to stop a maniac from slaughtering everyone in sight, in one case I remember at a Wal-mart I believe near Cape Girardeau or some other store,a man purchased a large hunting knife and immediately began stabbing customers until one of them pulled out a concealed handgun and said "Stop or I will shoot you." I can not really fathom any other better way for any civilian to handle such a situation, especially one with a permit, he stopped this terrible situation without pulling the trigger, a couple weeks ago a man shot his own son thinking he was burglar, he did not give him a chance to surrender, no chance for him to even gain closure that someone was there, he just without hesitation shot him multiple times until he died, and I can not count the number of incidents where people who holster a firearm take it as a badge to surrender all thought and logic before using it, the majority of the home robbers shot to death were not given any chance to surrender at all because a resident wanted to be trigger happy. There is difference between between a responsible firearm carrier and an irresponsible firearm carrier. I don't think anyone can really prove that anyone who gets a gun pointed at them must then by default be shot until their lungs cease to draw breath. Guns are great for defense in a tight spot obviously, but defense and just plain killing without hesitation are very separate. The "sport" of hunting is something I'll personally never like as opposed to the actual nature of hunting. You can probably label me as as a middle ruler in gun control and gun rights, I know the good that can be achieved out of them and also the bad, and as long as others look at the full picture too then they can carry on as they please with their weapons.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
24-10-2012, 12:55 PM
I do agree that there are people who should not be allowed to own, let alone carry firearms. But who gets to make that judgement? Who gets to say what makes you fit or unfit for gun ownership? Who writes the psychological tests? What past actions disqualify you? It's a touchy subject, and no system will be perfect.

I will say, however, that banning guns based on features or add-ons is insane. What, you're going to ban a gun if it has a forward grip? Oh no, we can't have you being comfortable while shooting your rifle. That makes it too scary! Banning whole families of firearms just because of their portrayal in media is FUCKING reTARDED as well. California bans guns that use the AR or AK platform. Why? Because they're scaaaaaary. Oh, but a Kel-Tec or Mini-14 is fine even though it's functionally equivalent.

Having some laws to regulate firearms is rational and necessary. But when those laws are designed by idiots who don't understand guns, like many US gun laws are? That's a problem.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
24-10-2012, 03:26 PM
(23-10-2012 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 08:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Pretty safe isn't really safe. And I live in one of the safest areas in TX...unless you count the nasty spiders and cat killing coyotes and nuts on motorcycles that pop wheelies to avoid red light cameras, oh and that whole West Nile thing.

Well, one difference is that atheists don't have a God-given right to own a gun. No

It does not matter if you believe a god gave you the right or not, you may call it a natural right, like I do, but same damn thing.

24-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Re: Do atheists not favor firearms?
In response to matt's post, there is a very small percent of the population that feel zero emotion when killing another human being.

The people who dont PID and end shooting someone they know deserve whatever torment and punishment they get.

Anyone with a firearm for HD needs to have a serious flash light attached or sitting next to it(pistol).
24-10-2012, 04:25 PM
(09-10-2012 09:08 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 06:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  The word you want is "perspective". Thumbsup

You do the spelling, ill do the trolling.

(09-10-2012 06:42 PM)TwelfthHunter Wrote:  Im kinda pro gun myself. I have two shotguns and a henry lever action. And my best friend is sponsored by glock. So you will have no opposition from me. But do you still participate in matches?

Whos your friend? All of Glock's talent recently did a mass exodus to other teams. I think the only pro shooters they still have is KC and randi rodgers,and im not sure about her.

Matthew Pressley. If he switched teams or quit he hasn't told me.

Or maybe he lied... i dunno. Didn't know how to verify what he said.

I ate the eleven Hunters before me Smile