Do guilt & shame make theists happy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Do guilt & shame make theists happy?
I came across this article on a business site with rituals to make you happier.

The first point caught my eye. It suggests that shame and guilt trigger the reward center in our brains. It seems to me, as a recovering Roman Catholic, that that's how many churches and religions keep its members.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Clockwork's post
14-10-2015, 11:01 AM
RE: Do guilt & shame make theists happy?
(14-10-2015 10:51 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I came across this article on a business site with rituals to make you happier.

The first point caught my eye. It suggests that shame and guilt trigger the reward center in our brains. It seems to me, as a recovering Roman Catholic, that that's how many churches and religions keep its members.

If guilt makes one happy then people shouldn't be trying to get rid of it by pushing it on to a dead zombie jew.

[Image: 004.sig]
[+] 2 users Like Aoi Magi's post
14-10-2015, 11:23 AM
What better way to chain one than selling him cure to illness that you forced onto him? Church know how to make money even if it know little else.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
14-10-2015, 11:31 AM
(14-10-2015 10:51 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I came across this article on a business site with rituals to make you happier.

There's no way to rule innocent men. So you've got to break their spirit and make them feel shame and guilt in order to sell them their salvation. Hence the thoroughly immoral doctrine of original sin. If you think on it, you'll see that every virtue required for a good life is a vice according to religion. The three cardinal virtues according to my worldview are reason (no! not autonomous reason! you must have faith), purpose(your own, not a god's) and self esteem. These are antithetical to the the religionist. It drives them mad that someone might have self anything.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
14-10-2015, 12:25 PM
No it doesn't make people happy, the "reward centre" or "pleasure centre" of the brain involves Dopamine the motivation chemical, as opposed to Serotonin the happiness chemical. It's not actually so much of a "reward" or "pleasure", it's a misleading term, it's more of a motivation centre really... it was just originally thought to be a pleasure or reward centre.

It "rewards" us by merely motivating us.... it's just like those experiments with rats that found that they weren't really getting themselves electrocuted to feel a "reward" because they liked it, but just because the dopamine drove them to want it.

Dopamine is more about wanting than liking.

Here I am searching the internet for those articles backing this info up.... if anyone else knows what I'm referring to or can cite an article, please do.

Of course, it makes sense if you think about it. Guilt and shame and regret can indeed be motivating... it can affect us a great deal.... whereas the idea that those unpleasant emotions could be pleasurable... doesn't really make any sense at all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes EvieTheTurtle's post
14-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Guilt and shame drive a lot of behavior (not just religious). I don't think they make people happy, they just motivate people to do things, just as happiness does.

My speculation as this would apply to religion: many religions teach people to worry that their normal happy feelings are evil or too wild and must be tamed. Negative emotions might be easier to feel because they're more permissible, and for lots of people feeling some emotion, even if it's bad, is better than feeling nothing at all.
14-10-2015, 03:00 PM
I suspect that not only guilt and shame make theists happy ----

I'm pretty sure they also like whips, chains and nipple rings..........

Anything to make it "Hurt so good".......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Bug RE: Do guilt & shame make theists happy?
(14-10-2015 12:25 PM)EvieTheTurtle Wrote:  Here I am searching the internet for those articles backing this info up.... if anyone else knows what I'm referring to or can cite an article, please do.

You can make a case for what you say from the Wikipedia entries on Dopamine and Serotonin. But it's always individual. Serotonin does not make me happy, serotonin makes me puke (90% of serotonin is in the gut). SSRIs poisoned me with serotonin syndrome. On the other hand, Wellbutrin which is the only antidepressant which increases dopamine makes me well. I also take an anti-nausea drug called Ondansetron used primarily in cancer patients. It works by inhibiting the serotonin in my gut. I got too much serotonin and too little dopamine. It's always individual.

#sigh
14-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Well Dopamine indeed can help treat depression as much as Serotonin can.... but of course an anti-depressent of any kind is different to a "happy pill"..... even if joy is in serotonin primarily, too much can make you ill... and regardless of how much joy you have, if there's misery in your mood too, it can totally overpower the joy... and a lack of motivation is indeed also depressing.

Adrenaline is also relevant to managing mood somewhat.... too little or two much of any of these things can make you ill and/or depressed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2015, 07:02 PM
When we do something bad and we know it is bad then it is good and healthy to feel guilt.
If we don't feel guilt it is red flag that there is something wrong with us.
When we wronged someone and feel guilty we want to make restitution, we want to do what is right. When we do what is right and we know it is right we have true joy/happiness.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post