Do guilt & shame make theists happy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2015, 05:47 PM
RE: Do guilt & shame make theists happy?
It makes them moldable, like putty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
03-11-2015, 05:57 PM
(03-11-2015 05:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 04:48 PM)EvieTheTurtle Wrote:  Ahhh oxytocin is a wonderful thing. How do you plan to manipulate it? What techniques?

Exogenous:
1) Purchase oxytocin nasal spray (pills don't pass the blood-brain barrier). Only available by script in the US but not a controlled substance so Customs don't give a shit.

Endogenous:
2) Beat off more often.
3) Start sucking my man boobs to see if I can get them to lactate.
4) Dilate my cervix.

#2 is good for prostate health too. Win-Win-Win
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
03-11-2015, 06:57 PM
(14-10-2015 07:02 PM)Alla Wrote:  When we do something bad and we know it is bad then it is good and healthy to feel guilt.
If we don't feel guilt it is red flag that there is something wrong with us.
When we wronged someone and feel guilty we want to make restitution, we want to do what is right. When we do what is right and we know it is right we have true joy/happiness.
The problem is religion defining what is "wrong" and/or "right" as a means of control. It is "wrong" to have premarital sex (a good rule for societies that don't have contraceptives) according to Christianity. Why make somebody feel guilty about fulfilling a natural desire? Masturbation is wrong? Women having equal rights is wrong? Should a woman feel guilty for wanting to speak in a church?

Guilt is very real, but the definition of right and wrong is subjective and circumstantial. Religions set up absolutes that are useful for taking advantage of guilt and controlling adherents.

Guilt is not the problem, guilt is what is being exploited.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
04-11-2015, 02:30 PM
(14-10-2015 10:51 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I came across this article on a business site with rituals to make you happier.

The first point caught my eye. It suggests that shame and guilt trigger the reward center in our brains. It seems to me, as a recovering Roman Catholic, that that's how many churches and religions keep its members.

I think many people feel better if they are convinced of their own "righteousness" and can pat themselves on the back how great they are while condemning others.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
04-11-2015, 05:04 PM
While most of us enjoy sex without guilt, Catholics experience guilt without sex. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-11-2015, 07:50 AM
(14-10-2015 10:51 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  The first point caught my eye. It suggests that shame and guilt trigger the reward center in our brains. It seems to me, as a recovering Roman Catholic, that that's how many churches and religions keep its members.

I'm sure there are some people who love feeling guilty, but the other side effect of this is that you can make other people feel guilty. This serves several purposes:
  • When you do something right and someone does something wrong, you can feel good about yourself.
  • When someone does something bad, you don't have to feel bad for them; it's their fault.
  • If bad things happen to someone, they must have done something to deserve it.
This way of thinking makes the person feel better about their self, lets them not feel bad for other people, and satisfies their world view that bad things happen to those who deserve it. Of course, this leads to lots of victim blaming and refusal to actually try to fix systemic problems.

On a related note, I've heard the reason people like watching sad movies is because they end up feeling better about their own life as a result.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
05-11-2015, 09:16 AM
Do guilt & shame make theists happy?
That was kind of unwritten rule, at least at one church. If you could point fingers or pass gossip off as truth, you circumvented the rules.

The old "I'm not one to gossip, but Widow Jones cooked Mr Smith a big dinner at his house."
05-11-2015, 09:39 AM
(05-11-2015 09:16 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  That was kind of unwritten rule, at least at one church. If you could point fingers or pass gossip off as truth, you circumvented the rules.

The old "I'm not one to gossip, but Widow Jones cooked Mr Smith a big dinner at his house."

The old "I'm not _____, but _____" fallacy.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
05-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Guilt and shame fucked me up, growing up in a shame-based religion. It never made me happier. The idea that I was "forgiven" seemed to help a little bit. But it's a drug that has diminishing returns. Eventually the shit that you repress, ignore, and push away comes back to you- having been left unresolved. The dusty old laws aren't meant for today's society.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
05-11-2015, 02:04 PM
(05-11-2015 09:16 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  That was kind of unwritten rule, at least at one church. If you could point fingers or pass gossip off as truth, you circumvented the rules.

"I'm not one to gossip, but I'm totally about to gossip to you!"

or

"I know we're not supposed to gossip, and we should feel guilty if we do, but I loooove gossiping, so I'll do it anyway."

or

"I know we're not supposed to gossip, but so-and-so is sinning, and I want to talk about their sinning behind their back. Don't you hate it when people sin? The only thing worse is people without a sense of irony."

You'd think anyone capable of even an ounce of introspection would realize that if what they're about to say is lead with "I'm not one to gossip, but...", they should just shut their fucking mouth.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post