Poll: Do you think guns cause rape?
Yes
Guns increase violence, so maybe a little. I don't know.
No
[Show Results]

Do guns cause Rape? What do you think is the leading cause of rape?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2014, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2014 06:43 AM by Losty.)
Do guns cause Rape? What do you think is the leading cause of rape?
So having followed closely recently 2 particular threads on guns, it never occurred to me that no one would mention the quite obvious correlation between rape and guns.

The statistics have shown (just take a look at the gun thread) that violent crime has everything to do with guns being legal. I mean, it's just blatantly obvious by looking at these stats (which I've shamelessly stolen from someone else):

Quote:The UK has the second highest overall crime rate in the EU.
It has a higher homicide rate than most of our western European neighbours, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
The UK has the fifth highest robbery rate in the EU.
It has the fourth highest burglary rate and the highest absolute number of burglaries in the EU, with double the number of offences than recorded in Germany and France.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...a-U-S.html

[Image: ahy8atas.jpg]

Clearly because this is from the daily mail we can trust this information to be presented in a factual and completely unbiased way. But this information would seem to suggest that legalising guns makes 'Murica safer than the UK? Because we all know us limey's can't get access to guns right? Yet we have more violent crime than anywhere else!!

But wait, I just found this through extensive research that may just sway your opinion on the whole gun debate:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info...rime/Rapes

If you look at this source that took me just 2 seconds to look up from a simple google search, America is ranked 1st in rape crime! So although the UK has more violent crime overall (which could be anything from a scuffle to murder), America has more rapes. Seems pretty clear cut to me, that because guns have so much to do with 'violent crime' statistics, guns must be one of the leading causes of rape in America. I mean, isn't it about time you guys woke up to reality? Guns obviously have something to do with America's crime problems, the stats don't lie.
PS. This is stolen from Napoleon (obviously I am not a Limey)but it made a lot of sense to me and I wanted to know what you guys thought)

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
26-05-2014, 06:29 AM
RE: Do guns cause Rape? What do you think is the leading cause of rape?
This data is a little old but here are some stats regarding rape and the use of firearms.

* Approximately half of all robberies, about a quarter of
all assaults, and roughly a twelfth of all rapes/sexual
assaults involved an armed assailant.
About 90% of
homicide victims were killed with a weapon.

This shows that rape/firearms aren't necessarily connected. However, quite possibly that if the rape victim is also murdered a weapon was probably used.

And keep in mind that an 'armed assailant' isn't necessarily carrying a gun.

Source:

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/wuvc01.txt

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
26-05-2014, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2014 06:43 AM by DLJ.)
(26-05-2014 06:20 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  ...
.dailymail.co.uk

^^^ 'nuff said.

The Daily Mail is a scare-mongering right-wing tabloid not worthy of encasing Friday night chips.

Higher crime figures generally indicate a greater trust in the enforcement agencies.

Higher figures rarely mean more crime... they mean more reporting of crime.

Thumbsup

I didn't read the article (I don't go to places like that on principle) but usually with the Mail and the Daily Express there is an often not-so-subtle link implied between crime rates and immigration rates.

Just sayin'

Dodgy

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
26-05-2014, 06:39 AM
I'd say lack of gun in women's hands helps rape. Rapists have a reasonable certainty that women won't shoot back, because they don't have guns and men do. I would gladly see armed women who know how to shoot and let all the rapists in the world win Darwin's prize. Ladies should carry this in their purse (instead of dildo Evil_monster ) and maybe put in an hour after gym to practice at a local shooting range.
[Image: charter-arms-undercover-lite.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
26-05-2014, 06:40 AM
(26-05-2014 06:29 AM)Anjele Wrote:  And keep in mind that an 'armed assailant' isn't necessarily carrying a gun.

This is true, but I couldn't find any studies about the correlation of mass knife ownership and increased violent crimes.

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
26-05-2014, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2014 08:43 AM by Bucky Ball.)
"What do you think is the leading cause of rape?"

Debils. Prolly debils.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2014, 06:41 AM
No guns don't cause rape. I don't think a man sees a gun and goes, "This gun wants to make me rape people," or a gun hypnotizes and controls a man and makes him rape women. The reason why is because some despite ass wanted quick sex so he found some dame and forced her to mate with him, or a female doing the same thing to males but I only met one person to care about the vice versa. Anyway it is a action of a savage animal, as all savage animals rape. And what animal is more savage than the human?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
26-05-2014, 06:42 AM
You asked about the connection between rape and guns. That's the data I looked for. As it shows, about a 12th of rape victims were attacked by an armed assailant.

Either way, guns do not cause rape as you asked.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
26-05-2014, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2014 08:40 AM by Mathilda.)
I'm completely confused. I thought Losty was American, at least her profile says she's living in the US. But she's writing this in the way that a Brit would to make a point about correlation vs causation.

If you aren't an expat Losty then tell me and I'll send you a badge that says "Honorary Brit" (assuming that is that you pass the other tests*).

* A spelling and vocabulary, ability to drink more than 4 pints of beer without passing out, tendency to create pavement pizzas at 3am, propensity towards violence using parts of own body (bonus points for using parts of someone else's body), creative use of swearing and knowing what irony means.
[+] 7 users Like Mathilda's post
26-05-2014, 07:04 AM
(26-05-2014 06:53 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm completely confused. I thought Losty was American, at least her profile says she's living in the US. But she's writing this in the way that a Brit would to make a point about correlation vs causation.

If you aren't an expat Losty then tell me and I'll send you a badge that says "Honorary Brit" (assuming that is that you pass the other tests*).

* A spelling and vocabulary, ability to drink more than 4 pints of beer without passing out, tendency to create pavement pizzas at 3am, propensity towards violence using parts of own body (bonus points for using parts of someone else's body), creative use of swearing and knows what irony means.

Are you going to make me say this every day? This is why I love you!

Nathaniel Hawthorne
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post