Poll: Do you think guns cause rape?
Yes
Guns increase violence, so maybe a little. I don't know.
No
[Show Results]

Do guns cause Rape? What do you think is the leading cause of rape?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2014, 07:07 AM
RE: Do guns cause Rape? What do you think is the leading cause of rape?
(26-05-2014 06:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Higher crime figures generally indicate a greater trust in the enforcement agencies.

Higher figures rarely mean more crime... they mean more reporting of crime.

Definitely true.

Also I like what Doug Stanhope pointed out. In Britain we know that other people are less likely to be carrying guns and that there is free medical care if we get hurt so there is less fear of starting a fight.

I'd also like to point out that the there are extremely complex reasons for the rise in violence in Britain, such as large swathes of the younger generation having nothing to live for and nothing to lose. Also the historical fascination with buying and owning a house and moving up the housing ladder, the current lack of security for tenants priced out of house ownership, the lack of job security and the need to move anywhere in order to find work means that people are less likely to feel that they are part of a community. The south east of England has become like a huge commuter metropolis serving London. It can takes years before you even speak to your neighbours in some places. A far cry from the early 80's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
26-05-2014, 07:14 AM
(26-05-2014 07:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It can takes years before you even speak to your neighbours in some places.

Sounds ideal to me.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
26-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Crime, as I mentioned in the other thread in the world news section, is caused due to several reasons. Inequality/poverty, mental illness and/or family violence.
You don't see a bunch of rich kids forming a street gang and shooting people that intrude on their "turf". You don't see "normal" minded people kidnapping small children and raising them in their basement. You don't see the kid that loves his perfect parents and is the most popular kid in school go on a shooting rampage.

It doesn't matter how many guns are in society, if you don't have a handle on the above issues than crime will exist. Particularly when there's poverty because people who turn to crime because of poverty could be perfectly well loved members of society if they just happened to be born into a middle income household.
Mental illness and family violence are more hidden and it doesn't discriminate against economic status so it's harder to prevent people that suffer from these things committing crime (initially).

I doubt anyone goes out and rapes because they have a gun. I think people rape because of mental illness or being raised up into a family/community that has a negative impact on their morals. ie: gang life.

Guns certainly escalate the scale of crime. ie: one of the recent mass shootings in America happened at the same time as a mass stabbing in China. Yes both crimes happened, but one resulted in 13 deaths (or however many it was) and the other (the stabbing) resulted in just injury.
But in the case of America, their best bet is to aim to solve poverty as an issue, rather than guns because gun violence is just a mask to a wider issue.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
26-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Americans need more sex on TV. There's more violence on American TV than in Britain and we have the higher crime rates. Yet Americans are more puritanical about sex and have higher incidents of rape. Do any American newspapers have page three devoted every day to showing a topless woman for example?

I suggest regular public information broadcasts of gynecological examinations until incidences of rape starts to decrease.
[+] 7 users Like Mathilda's post
26-05-2014, 08:13 AM
I'd just like to point out that the vast majority of rape incidents are carried out by people who know their victim, not strangers scouting for lone women in peripheral environments in the middle of the night with a gun in their pocket. Chances are it's your ex or current boyfriend/husband, or a family acquaintance/relative if you're very young. The role of guns seems to be largely irrelevant in the big picture.

See this for instance:

Quote:Acquaintance rape is much more prevalent than stranger rape. In a study published by the Department of Justice, 82% of the victims were raped by someone they knew (acquaintance/friend, intimate, relative) and 18% were raped by a stranger.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 2 users Like John's post
26-05-2014, 08:34 AM
What's going on here? Is the original post supposed to be ironic? I mean it sounds like a lot of BS to me.

If guns are linked to violent crimes like rape in way suggested how does one explain Canada?
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
26-05-2014, 08:39 AM
(26-05-2014 08:34 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  What's going on here? Is the original post supposed to be ironic? I mean it sounds like a lot of BS to me.

If guns are linked to violent crimes like rape in way suggested how does one explain Canada?

It struck me as satirical.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
26-05-2014, 09:43 AM
(26-05-2014 07:47 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Americans need more sex on TV. There's more violence on American TV than in Britain and we have the higher crime rates. Yet Americans are more puritanical about sex and have higher incidents of rape. Do any American newspapers have page three devoted every day to showing a topless woman for example?

I suggest regular public information broadcasts of gynecological examinations until incidences of rape starts to decrease.

I think you're right Tildie! It's really our lack of sex on tv and not the guns that cause rape.

Then again....we also have more twinkies....

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
26-05-2014, 09:45 AM
(26-05-2014 09:43 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(26-05-2014 07:47 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Americans need more sex on TV. There's more violence on American TV than in Britain and we have the higher crime rates. Yet Americans are more puritanical about sex and have higher incidents of rape. Do any American newspapers have page three devoted every day to showing a topless woman for example?

I think you're right Tildie! It's really our lack of sex on tv and not the guns that cause rape.

Then again....we also have more twinkies....

Yeah, but all that causes is cardiovascular disease.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Guns are definitely a contributing factor, but by what % is hard to say.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.