Poll: Do you think guns cause rape?
Yes
Guns increase violence, so maybe a little. I don't know.
No
[Show Results]

Do guns cause Rape? What do you think is the leading cause of rape?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2014, 05:51 PM
RE: Do guns cause Rape? What do you think is the leading cause of rape?
(28-05-2014 06:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 07:21 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I don't need those three birds, there are way more animals killed by humans.

http://inhabitat.com/7-animals-driven-to...-humans/3/

Intent is the keyword. I don't think anybody poaching a Java Tiger or Western Black Rhino woke up and said to themselves "You know what? Fuck those Tigers/Rhinos, I'm going to hunt them to extinction."

Yeah but we did over hunt them didn't we? We did know we can stop and only kill them out of self defense right?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
28-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Re: Do guns cause Rape? What do you think is the leading cause of rape?
It's well known Date rape is the most frequent type of rape. So what should be done to halt that? Simple ban dating

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
28-05-2014, 10:13 PM
(28-05-2014 05:51 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 06:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Intent is the keyword. I don't think anybody poaching a Java Tiger or Western Black Rhino woke up and said to themselves "You know what? Fuck those Tigers/Rhinos, I'm going to hunt them to extinction."

Yeah but we did over hunt them didn't we? We did know we can stop and only kill them out of self defense right?

Who is this collective 'we'?

Some, like tigers and rhinos, are the victims of capitalism and superstition. But do all of the poachers know, let alone care, for the future of the species they are hunting? Or are they concerned with their own livelihood? It's so easy to sit back with our western educations and the benefit of hindsight and tut-tut and waggle our fingers in disapproval. But if you grew up in Africa and you had the choice of being a poor dirt farmer or living a life of relatively more comfort as a poacher, and you lacked the education to have an existential crisis, good money says you become a poacher. But does that mean that the poacher's goal is to make the animal extinct? I doubt it, as then there would be nothing left to poach. I imagine their concerns are much more immediate.

That's not meant as a tacit approval of their actions, but rather an acknowledgement of their ignorance of the wider picture.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
29-05-2014, 12:54 AM
OH MY GOD!!! THIS IS PROOF THAT GOD IS REALAngry.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
29-05-2014, 04:32 AM
(28-05-2014 10:13 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 05:51 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Yeah but we did over hunt them didn't we? We did know we can stop and only kill them out of self defense right?

Who is this collective 'we'?

Some, like tigers and rhinos, are the victims of capitalism and superstition. But do all of the poachers know, let alone care, for the future of the species they are hunting? Or are they concerned with their own livelihood? It's so easy to sit back with our western educations and the benefit of hindsight and tut-tut and waggle our fingers in disapproval. But if you grew up in Africa and you had the choice of being a poor dirt farmer or living a life of relatively more comfort as a poacher, and you lacked the education to have an existential crisis, good money says you become a poacher. But does that mean that the poacher's goal is to make the animal extinct? I doubt it, as then there would be nothing left to poach. I imagine their concerns are much more immediate.

That's not meant as a tacit approval of their actions, but rather an acknowledgement of their ignorance of the wider picture.

Is it, because poachers still tend to hunt even illegally. I understand hunting, that is not the problem, it is hunting for sport till they are near extinction(or to extinction). I am also being kind showing that humans tend to kill every thing while killing each other. I remember the nuke on japan or any other bombing. Animals fight and kill each other yes, but they don't destroy every living thing in an area in one go while killing each other.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
29-05-2014, 05:31 AM
(29-05-2014 04:32 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 10:13 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Who is this collective 'we'?

Is it, because poachers still tend to hunt even illegally. I understand hunting, that is not the problem, it is hunting for sport till they are near extinction(or to extinction). I am also being kind showing that humans tend to kill every thing while killing each other. I remember the nuke on japan or any other bombing. Animals fight and kill each other yes, but they don't destroy every living thing in an area in one go while killing each other.

Arguably, all you are doing is accentuating the negative.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-05-2014, 05:32 AM
(29-05-2014 04:32 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 10:13 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Who is this collective 'we'?

Not every poacher is an educated sport hunter that acknowledges what he is doing is ethically wrong, but does it anyways because 'fuck tigers/rhinos/pandas/etc.' Facepalm

Also, 'poaching' is by definition illegal hunting; so 'poaching' legally is a contradiction.

You do know that there is a huge black market in the Pacific and Asia for the parts of some endangered species, right? Tigers and rhinos get poached because there is a demand created by the superstitious beliefs that ground up tiger bones or rhino horns can cure cancer, arthritis, male impotence, the common cold, etc. The people who poach these creatures do so for money, for their own best interest. Their intent is to make a living, unfortunately their jobs can and do push other animals to extinction; but I imagine their express intent is not the total eradication of that species.

Much like with rape, gun violence, and violent crimes in general; I imagine the root of the problem is lack of education, wealth inequality, and lack of opportunity. If the poachers could make as good, if not better, a living doing something else that didn't require poaching, how many of them do you think would continue to poach? They're not all rich European sport-hunters only interested in the thrill of an illegal hunt... Facepalm

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
29-05-2014, 06:48 AM
I am in a bar, a bit drunk, and will look up the necessary citations later if I remember. But as far as I can make out, the only way to reduce rape and other sexual assaults is to give everyone access to high speed internet

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
29-05-2014, 01:25 PM
(29-05-2014 05:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 04:32 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Is it, because poachers still tend to hunt even illegally. I understand hunting, that is not the problem, it is hunting for sport till they are near extinction(or to extinction). I am also being kind showing that humans tend to kill every thing while killing each other. I remember the nuke on japan or any other bombing. Animals fight and kill each other yes, but they don't destroy every living thing in an area in one go while killing each other.

Not every poacher is an educated sport hunter that acknowledges what he is doing is ethically wrong, but does it anyways because 'fuck tigers/rhinos/pandas/etc.' Facepalm

Also, 'poaching' is by definition illegal hunting; so 'poaching' legally is a contradiction.

You do know that there is a huge black market in the Pacific and Asia for the parts of some endangered species, right? Tigers and rhinos get poached because there is a demand created by the superstitious beliefs that ground up tiger bones or rhino horns can cure cancer, arthritis, male impotence, the common cold, etc. The people who poach these creatures do so for money, for their own best interest. Their intent is to make a living, unfortunately their jobs can and do push other animals to extinction; but I imagine their express intent is not the total eradication of that species.

Much like with rape, gun violence, and violent crimes in general; I imagine the root of the problem is lack of education, wealth inequality, and lack of opportunity. If the poachers could make as good, if not better, a living doing something else that didn't require poaching, how many of them do you think would continue to poach? They're not all rich European sport-hunters only interested in the thrill of an illegal hunt... Facepalm

Hold on before I lost track of my original point, name an animal that is savage?

29-05-2014, 03:58 PM
(29-05-2014 01:25 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 05:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Not every poacher is an educated sport hunter that acknowledges what he is doing is ethically wrong, but does it anyways because 'fuck tigers/rhinos/pandas/etc.' Facepalm

Hold on before I lost track of my original point, name an animal that is savage?

#sigh