Do human beings have any intrinsic value?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Do human beings have any intrinsic value?
As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

If so, why are we?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2017, 03:12 PM
RE: Do human beings have any intrinsic value?
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

If so, why are we?

You are asking as if there were some absolute value. The truth as I see it is that any given individual has all sorts of relative values. I am worth much more to my wife than to a stranger for instance.

What is "the grand scheme of things"?
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
02-03-2017, 03:21 PM
No, and....no (for animals).

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
02-03-2017, 03:22 PM
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

No.

All statements of value are subjective. There is no objective standard by which anything, life or otherwise, can be said to have more value than anything else, because "value" is an inherently subjective property.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 8 users Like Unbeliever's post
02-03-2017, 03:24 PM
People have value to other people. To the universe, nil.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 10 users Like morondog's post
02-03-2017, 03:26 PM
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

No, they aren't. It's just that we belong to that species that makes us biased to protect our own. We don't know what animals are thinking about their own, so I don't know if that makes us special.

But, as has been said, my family and friends are certainly more important to me than any outsider.
02-03-2017, 03:29 PM

Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

If so, why are we?

Any value my life has is value that I and others (friends, family, government, coworkers, strangers, etc.) might put on it. That value will obviously be relative to the individual. No intrinsic value, though.

I certainly don't think killing another human is a moral thing to do in most circumstances. Not only are you cutting short an individual's only opportunity at life, you are hurting all those that value that person's life.

We aren't important in terms of the universe. When the last human dies, the universe will carry on as it did before the first human lived.

Are we more worthy of respect than other animals? Not objectively, no. But again, relatively, we certainly are. My family is more important to me than the life of other animals. My own life is more important to me than most all other animals, too. To most animals, their own lives would be more important to them than me. If I were in the woods, and a hungry bear came upon me and was able to kill me and eat me, it just might do that and not feel guilty about it.
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
02-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Nope. Value is subjective, and as such can't be intrinsic.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Don't go and blow your load of questions all in one day. Maybe pace out your threads a bit more? Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-03-2017, 03:44 PM
If something has value then it is because something else deems it to be so.