Do human beings have any intrinsic value?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 03:45 PM
RE: Do human beings have any intrinsic value?
Participate in threads you've already started instead of making new ones. What is the point of engaging with you if you are just going to minimally respond and then abandon the thread? Why waste time on you?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-03-2017, 03:52 PM
(02-03-2017 03:45 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Participate in threads you've already started instead of making new ones. What is the point of engaging with you if you are just going to minimally respond and then abandon the thread? Why waste time on you?

My guess is he wants some nice quotes about how life is pointless when you're an atheist that he can include in his sermon on Sunday Thumbsup

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 8 users Like morondog's post
02-03-2017, 03:57 PM
(02-03-2017 03:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 03:45 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Participate in threads you've already started instead of making new ones. What is the point of engaging with you if you are just going to minimally respond and then abandon the thread? Why waste time on you?

My guess is he wants some nice quotes about how life is pointless when you're an atheist that he can include in his sermon on Sunday Thumbsup

Gotta have something to talk about in Bible Study I guess

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-03-2017, 03:57 PM
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

If so, why are we?

Intrinsic value? No.

My view is we (humans) are part of the animal kingdom and so we have interaction between different species. Sometimes those interactions are wonderful and sometimes they are not depending on your personal stance.

But talking about the human species... I think we are, as a whole, a pretty incredible species. We are capable of creating wonderful and magnificent things. But we are also capable of doing the exact opposite of that. In a perfect world we would all wish to work together to create a better world than the one we leave behind when we die. But realistically speaking we know that doesn't happen as much as we would like.

On a more personal level I think our value is determined by what we do in our own personal lives. Value to your family, friends, and how you treat others as a whole is widely determined by your actions. Did you have a positive impact upon those you are closest to, members of society, and the world as you know it? My wish is I hope so. I hope when I leave this world that it can be said that I had more of a positive impact than a negative impact.

But to quote you: "Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!"

Well... I'm glad you cleared that up. Atheists are known for the rampant raping, killing, and pillaging of all that we see Rolleyes Maybe you need to adjust the aperture of the lens you view us through.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
02-03-2017, 04:02 PM
(02-03-2017 03:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Ah, heroic stories for the pulpit! Stories of grand battles against the atheist menace earn great respect from the kept masses.
[+] 5 users Like Emma's post
02-03-2017, 04:12 PM
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

If so, why are we?

If by "intrinsic value" you mean apart from any valuer then no, they don't. Value is contextual. It is only in the context of a living organisms life that anything has value.

On my view Human lives matter more than baboons because Humans have more to offer than baboons, namely their rational minds. But in the grand scheme of things (by this I take you to mean the universe) no because the universe is not a living being.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
02-03-2017, 04:13 PM
(02-03-2017 04:02 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 03:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  My guess is he wants some nice quotes about how life is pointless when you're an atheist that he can include in his sermon on Sunday Thumbsup

Ah, heroic stories for the pulpit! Stories of grand battles against the atheist menace earn great respect from the kept masses.

Well ya see, thinking on it some more, ya know... They Christees see the world through a different pair o' gogglers than us. Many of us have said something to the effect of "humans other humans value they do, the universe, fucks it gives not". To yonder Catholic my suspicion is that it's anathema to think that there's nothing out there that gives a flying fuck, and they use that fear as a virtue. As in "look at those silly atheists saying the universe doesn't care. Well of course it doesn't. But GOD does !!!" Rolleyes Sometimes the stupid doesn't burn. Sometimes it just... makes one depressed.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
02-03-2017, 04:45 PM
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

If so, why are we?
Humans are important to humans,
Why? Because they are our mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, lovers, friends, role models etc

I would think baboons would hold more value on other baboons than humans. So really it is based on who you ask.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
02-03-2017, 04:56 PM

No

Quote:Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Facepalm

Quote:Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things?

No... even if I believed there was a "grand scheme" there's no reason to think humans are anything of consequence overall

Quote:Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

Still from the "grand scheme of things"? No
To us? Yes, at least in general. Individual cases may vary.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
02-03-2017, 05:27 PM
I don't think we have proven ourselves to be any better than the other animals.

Probably we are the most vicious and harmful animal of them all.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post