Do human beings have any intrinsic value?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 05:35 PM
RE: Do human beings have any intrinsic value?
(02-03-2017 03:45 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Participate in threads you've already started instead of making new ones. What is the point of engaging with you if you are just going to minimally respond and then abandon the thread? Why waste time on you?

Exactly this.

This is just an assumption on my part but I doubt ProudCatholic will respond in this thread again. Seems to like to start them but then disappear not long after. Still haven't quite figured him out. Well... that's not completely true but you know what I mean.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
02-03-2017, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 08:37 PM by Full Circle.)
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit.

"People like you"... WTF. You come across as a total douche.

Try not to get a nosebleed from that high perch you sit on.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 8 users Like Full Circle's post
02-03-2017, 05:41 PM
I don't believe in anything in the sense of "absolute" ___, if it's completely subjective (such as meaning, morality, etc.) Human beings, by nature, are social animals. We also like to look at our own personal values as if they are laws. Personally, I believe humans have meaning to other humans. So, if you're asking me I'd say yes. However, I do not believe we have value in a cosmological sense. I think the universe, the planet, etc. would keep on keeping on without us, so no we're not significant in that perspective. As for other living creatures, I think the only significance we have to them is to the extent we connect with them (like domesticated animals we take care of) or we mess with them (habitats, hunting, etc.)

Also, this is a personal question and you'll get varying answers by person, even if they are atheists. We don't all abide by the same philosophies.
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post
02-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Given that the whole species is no more than the proverbial fart in the cosmic whirlwind, I'd say no.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
02-03-2017, 06:39 PM
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Fuck off asshole. 'People like you' is such a condescending thing to say to any group of people. We aren't all alike - are you saying you can't tell us apart?

People like you are the reason I am not Catholic any more. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post
02-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Actually it's Catholics that have very little regard for life. You people teach innocent little children they are "born in sin" and need saving. You disrespect humanity.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-03-2017, 07:00 PM
(02-03-2017 03:22 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  All statements of value are subjective. There is no objective standard by which anything, life or otherwise, can be said to have more value than anything else, because "value" is an inherently subjective property.

We look at the vastness of time and space, and think ourselves insignificant. But consciousness determines value. That's why all values are subjective.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Condescending droppings under the sign of Taurus by the OP aside, in a local cosmic sense, people have value. If you are looking to cash in on the chemicals a human makes, you could get enough money to make a down payment on another masterpiece to hang in the Vatican!. Oh, wait! We know how they get/got them. NVM Dodgy

For the record, you're one of the worst tools I've seen posting here. But then, I'm relatively new. Drinking Beverage
02-03-2017, 07:43 PM
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

If so, why are we?

Oy, didn't you get the memo? We have a new chew toy to play with. We don't need you anymore because the other guy is chewier and --unlike you-- responds to questions and comments directed to him.

You do not need to continue logging in. You are dismissed.
[+] 8 users Like Aliza's post
02-03-2017, 09:03 PM
(02-03-2017 07:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Oy, didn't you get the memo? We have a new chew toy to play with. We don't need you anymore because the other guy is chewier and --unlike you-- responds to questions and comments directed to him.

You do not need to continue logging in. You are dismissed.

Whoa, hold on a minute. I think Moms just banned the other one.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus