Do human beings have any intrinsic value?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 09:09 PM
RE: Do human beings have any intrinsic value?
(02-03-2017 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 07:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Oy, didn't you get the memo? We have a new chew toy to play with. We don't need you anymore because the other guy is chewier and --unlike you-- responds to questions and comments directed to him.

You do not need to continue logging in. You are dismissed.

Whoa, hold on a minute. I think Moms just banned the other one.

There were three. A Catholic, an "atheist" and some self-styled Christian.

The atheist got banned. This thread belongs to the Catholic guy with the one-sided conversations. Harold is the Christian who is deluded, but capable of conversing with people outside his own brain. I'm remaining guardedly optimistic about Harold.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
02-03-2017, 09:41 PM
(02-03-2017 09:09 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Whoa, hold on a minute. I think Moms just banned the other one.

There were three. A Catholic, an "atheist" and some self-styled Christian.

The "atheist" got banned. This thread belongs to the Catholic guy with the one-sided conversations. Harold is the Christian who is deluded, but capable of conversing with people outside his own brain. I'm remaining guardedly optimistic about Harold.

FTFY. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
02-03-2017, 10:14 PM
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

I want no "credit" or anything else from someone like you.

You call yourself proud to support an organization that, among other crimes:

Promotes hate against the LGBT community

Contributed to the spread of AIDS in Africa through lies and misinformation.

Continues to engage in organized pedophilia, through enabling, abetting, concealing, and direct participation in acts of child rape.

And you call yourself proud... Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
02-03-2017, 10:22 PM
About $160 depending on potassium and sodium market fluctuations.

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-03-2017, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 10:34 PM by Peebothuhul.)
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Yes, yes I do think that human as well as all life has value.

(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Thank you. I won't associate you with the baby eating Bishop of Bath and Wells then, either. Thumbsup

(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

Um... Consider What 'grand scheme' of anything?

(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  If so, why are we?

Well... when a male of a species rubs up against a female of the same species in a very 'special' way........... Blush
[+] 5 users Like Peebothuhul's post
02-03-2017, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 11:29 PM by Reltzik.)
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

If so, why are we?

Do I value human life subjectively? By and large, yes.

Do I think there's any sort of intrinsic value? No.

Value requires a valuer.

For the record, if you want to say that something is valuable because God values it? That's also subjective. Now let me scroll down and see if you actually did say that.

EDIT: NOPE! I forgot that you rarely follow up on your threads. Silly me.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
02-03-2017, 11:52 PM
(02-03-2017 06:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually it's Catholics that have very little regard for life. You people teach innocent little children they are "born in sin" and need saving. You disrespect humanity.

It's disturbing how deep this self-hate rhetoric runs through Christianity. They sing songs and preach sermons about how fucking worthless they are and how the only worth in their lives is derived from devotion to God. Even when I was a Christee I thought that shit was a bit over the top. Now it really revolts me.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
03-03-2017, 12:27 AM
The problem is that it's malformed. It's a contradiction in terms. It doesn't make someone callous to admit this, it just makes them aware of the type of languages that are being combined. Ignoring this and projecting your personal opinion onto a contradiction doesn't make you extra-nice. Either you either misinformed, or making an emotional appeal to ignore logic.

Of course, if you define "value" in some non-standard way so that it does refer to some measurable property that humans possess, then sure, they have intrinsic value.

Saying we all matter "to God" is still subjective. Saying who/what is worthy of respect is entirely subjective.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2017, 12:30 AM
Value is a human construct, not an intrinsic property of the universe. Nothing has intrinsic value. Things only have as much value as we agree to give them.

Boy howdy, PrudishCatholic is a special kind of institutionalized stupid.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-03-2017, 01:02 AM
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Wow! Gee whiz! w00t! Break out the champagne!

I can only thank you from the bottom of my heathen heart for giving me "some credit". Tongue

And by "people like you" I assume you're talking about scientifically-enlightened folks who don't believe in a mythical God, or gods, and who require empirical evidence for their beliefsā€”rather than solely a 2,500-year-old work of mainly fiction cobbled together by a disparate group of uneducated camel jockeys?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post