Do human beings have any intrinsic value?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 06:46 AM
RE: Do human beings have any intrinsic value?
(03-03-2017 01:02 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Wow! Gee whiz! w00t! Break out the champagne!

I can only thank you from the bottom of my heathen heart for giving me "some credit". Tongue

And by "people like you" I assume you're talking about scientifically-enlightened folks who don't believe in a mythical God, or gods, and who require empirical evidence for their beliefsā€”rather than solely a 2,500-year-old work of mainly fiction cobbled together by a disparate group of uneducated camel jockeys?

There's no evidence of which I am aware that says the writers of any of the books in the Bible ever rode camels. That's an unfounded assertion. It's not as bad as the magic powers/events in those stories, of course, which would require a higher level of proof... but I'm going to have to reject that term until such time as evidence is provided that meets the level of the claim.

So, Citation Required before I'll believe that. Sorry...goes with the territory! Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-03-2017, 06:49 AM
God damn, aren't we going to be told how evil we are already?

Fine, I'll do it. We're all evil. How dare we say that subjective value isn't objective. Atheists are just the worst. Stop using logic and just listen to what I say God says.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
03-03-2017, 07:02 AM
About 30 shekels of silver, according to Exodus 21:32.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-03-2017, 07:09 AM
That's just blacks and women. White dudes are probably worth 50.

Funnily enough, in the Quran, it specifically says that a man is worth twice as much as a woman. (Thanks Hugo and Jake!)

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
03-03-2017, 08:03 AM
(03-03-2017 07:02 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  About 30 shekels of silver, according to Exodus 21:32.

Completely overpriced. 10 i say, maximum!

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
03-03-2017, 08:25 AM
(03-03-2017 06:46 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  So, Citation Required before I'll believe that. Sorry...goes with the territory! Big Grin

But there's a lot of stuff on asses in the book. It's a save assumption they knew how to ride asses. Camels by the way, often feature into the very same passages.

Quote: Genesis 32:15 |
Thirty milch camels with their colts, forty kine, and ten bulls, twenty she asses, and ten foals.

Genesis 34:28 |
They took their sheep, and their oxen, and their asses, and that which was in the city, and that which was in the field,

Genesis 36:24 |
And these are the children of Zibeon; both Ajah, and Anah: this was that Anah that found the mules in the wilderness, as he fed the asses of Zibeon his father.

Genesis 30:43 |
And the man increased exceedingly, and had much cattle, and maidservants, and menservants, and camels, and asses.
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
03-03-2017, 11:13 AM
That still doesn't prove the writers rode camels. But at least you provided some evidence.

See? Atheists are better at this religion stuff than the religious folk are! Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-03-2017, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 11:32 AM by abaris.)
I still keep musing over this Zibeon character having multiple asses. And what did his son feed them with?

But there's ample evidence for riding asses being popular. After all Jesus exclaimed: and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her.

He even rode that ass all the way to Jerusalem.
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
03-03-2017, 11:35 AM

03-03-2017, 01:57 PM
(03-03-2017 11:29 AM)abaris Wrote:  I still keep musing over this Zibeon character having multiple asses.

Multiple asses would probably be useful for riding those two-hump camels.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post