Do human beings have any intrinsic value?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 02:10 PM
RE: Do human beings have any intrinsic value?
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Reply to this post if you have any intrinsic value. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
03-03-2017, 02:33 PM
(03-03-2017 02:10 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 03:08 PM)ProudCatholic Wrote:  As atheists do you think human life (as opposed to animal life) has any intrinsic value at all?

Reply to this post if you have any intrinsic value. Dodgy

Of course I have an intrinsic value. It's just relative rather than absolute.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
11-03-2017, 11:27 PM

Just for the record, I don't believe atheists would love to just kill everyone in sight. I may not agree with you, but I at least give people like you some credit!

Are human beings important in the grand scheme of things? Are we as a species more worthy of respect and care than say baboons or insects?

If so, why are we?

I noticed that the OP has been banned, so I hope its ok that I leave my thoughts on this.

I am a Nihilist, this means I don't think anything in the universe has "intrinsic" value. I derive value from existential contemplation, philosophy, empathy, so I think that any special value humans have is what we choose to give ourselves (since there's really no one else to argue with us yet). That said the bigger question should be "why should humans be more valuable than the rest of the living beings?" because we can think, and reason (well first of all its debatable how well we perform those two tasks to begin with, and the entire thing would be highly subjective now wouldn't it?). I think its unwise to over simplify the world in such a way as "Humans are right because we are smartest," I mean why not have our great ape cousins be right since they are stronger than us?

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
11-03-2017, 11:31 PM
(11-03-2017 11:27 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I am a Nihilist, this means I don't think anything in the universe has "intrinsic" value. I derive value from existential contemplation, philosophy, empathy, so I think that any special value humans have is what we choose to give ourselves (since there's really no one else to argue with us yet).

Just because all meaning is artificial don't make it bad.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-03-2017, 11:36 PM
(11-03-2017 11:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 11:27 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I am a Nihilist, this means I don't think anything in the universe has "intrinsic" value. I derive value from existential contemplation, philosophy, empathy, so I think that any special value humans have is what we choose to give ourselves (since there's really no one else to argue with us yet).

Just because all meaning is artificial don't make it bad.

Thank you! It's quite nice to be accepted, usually I hear Nihilism as portrayed as this scary depressing thing. Personally I find it quite liberating.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
11-03-2017, 11:42 PM
(11-03-2017 11:36 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 11:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Just because all meaning is artificial don't make it bad.

Thank you! It's quite nice to be accepted, usually I hear Nihilism as portrayed as this scary depressing thing. Personally I find it quite liberating.

There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke. Big Grin

#sigh
11-03-2017, 11:43 PM
(11-03-2017 11:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 11:36 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Thank you! It's quite nice to be accepted, usually I hear Nihilism as portrayed as this scary depressing thing. Personally I find it quite liberating.

There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke. Big Grin

Well said my new BFF!

Big Grin