Do kids actually want to pray in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 09:43 AM
RE: Do kids actually want to pray in schools?
(29-03-2015 07:04 AM)cactus Wrote:  There are some kids who "care" about praying at school, but they're usually the ones who are just parroting back what they've heard from their parents, and they haven't started thinking for themselves yet.

And many never will.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2015, 10:13 AM
(29-03-2015 06:09 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 05:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I thought school was a place to meet girls...... That count as "anything"????

I went to an all boys school...pity me.

Heaven if you're gay.

Hell if you're hetro.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-03-2015, 10:28 AM
(29-03-2015 07:42 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  I had a classmate who prayed before every volley when he played ping pong. It didn't do him any good when he was playing against this one foreign student. The foreign student was the third-rated ping pong player in his own country, and beat the kid who prayed every time.

The fact is, there is no law against kids praying in school. There's no law against kids bringing their Bibles to school. What the law prohibits is schools conducting public prayers that would force or pressure kids into praying if they don't want to; or schools spending taxpayer money organizing religious events or services.

Kids, on their own, can pray all they want to, as long as they don't disrupt class or try to impose their religion on other kids who don't want it.

But what the religious bigots want is to force all kids to pray, and to pray to the particular god of the particular religious bigot. And this is in clear violation of the Constitutional protection against state-imposed religion.

Yeah, we know. It just seems like a massive amount of whining from the Christians for something only a tiny number of people will ever want to do to begin with, and could effectively do in their heads anyway. Not that I'm ever surprised by Christians whining about made-up persecution. Dodgy

That's another thing, by the way, how many kids want to do this, want to do it regularly, and want to do it noticeably? Like, their god's supposed to hear all their thoughts. Bowing your head just makes you look sleepy. Heck, depending on where you're holding them, even the praying hands thing can look very inconspicuous.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
29-03-2015, 04:50 PM
(29-03-2015 10:28 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 07:42 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  I had a classmate who prayed before every volley when he played ping pong. It didn't do him any good when he was playing against this one foreign student. The foreign student was the third-rated ping pong player in his own country, and beat the kid who prayed every time.

The fact is, there is no law against kids praying in school. There's no law against kids bringing their Bibles to school. What the law prohibits is schools conducting public prayers that would force or pressure kids into praying if they don't want to; or schools spending taxpayer money organizing religious events or services.

Kids, on their own, can pray all they want to, as long as they don't disrupt class or try to impose their religion on other kids who don't want it.

But what the religious bigots want is to force all kids to pray, and to pray to the particular god of the particular religious bigot. And this is in clear violation of the Constitutional protection against state-imposed religion.

Yeah, we know. It just seems like a massive amount of whining from the Christians for something only a tiny number of people will ever want to do to begin with, and could effectively do in their heads anyway. Not that I'm ever surprised by Christians whining about made-up persecution. Dodgy

That's another thing, by the way, how many kids want to do this, want to do it regularly, and want to do it noticeably? Like, their god's supposed to hear all their thoughts. Bowing your head just makes you look sleepy. Heck, depending on where you're holding them, even the praying hands thing can look very inconspicuous.

The thing is, there is no laws against praying in school. Nor are there any laws that prohibit any adult, or child from taking a bible, Qu'ran, Torah, or any other holy book into a school and read it to themselves during any free time they may have.
What the Christians really want is to force their beliefs and force EVERY school child to study the bible and "FORCE" EVERY SINGLE LAST PERSON to have to listen to a American School teacher in every last school shove Christianity down their throats. Not just Christianity, but whatever Flavor of Christianity the teacher happens to be by allowing them the ability to put up Christian banners, statues, slogans, bible versus and LEAD children, teens and adults into prayer.

You can make the "they can just sit there any pretend they have it all figured out" bull shit argument that Christians make, or the "they can just ignore what is going on" argument that Libral minded conservatives would make....yes...its possible to be both. But it does not change the fact that this is the very reason why Christians really want the rules to be changed.

Not because they are not allowed to exercise their religion to themselves in any way. But, because they are not allowed to force their religion down the throats of others like they can on the streets when they go door to door on Saturday mornings, or when they hold up signs and shout out of loud speakers in large busy city squares to everyone within electronic ear shot!

Anyone can pray in school if they wanted too. It doesn't matter what deity. When I go back to college next term, I could Pray to Flying Spaghetti monster if I wanted too.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
29-03-2015, 06:33 PM
(29-03-2015 10:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 06:09 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I went to an all boys school...pity me.

Heaven if you're gay.

Hell if you're hetro.

Hell for me.
Heaven for the Christian Brothers.
Smile
29-03-2015, 06:36 PM
I didn't want to pray in school even when I was a believer.
29-03-2015, 07:08 PM
(28-03-2015 08:36 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I see the subject of prayer and bibles in school brought up a lot, and whenever it is all I can think is "How many kids want to pray in school to begin with?".

Seriously, is this a common want? Do you guys know school aged people who want to pray in schools? Regularly? I don't remember seeing it ever actually happening. Even when I went to Catholic school it only ever seemed to happen when the teachers made us.

A good question.

A more relevant question might be, do they want to pray in school IN A WAY THEY'RE CURRENTLY NOT ALLOWED TO?

It's not like they can't bring a Bible to school in their backpack, say Grace, or pray a few prayers by themselves or even with friends between bells before class starts.

What's banned in US public schools is compulsory prayer, or prayer led by people acting in an official capacity.

EDIT: Aaaaand Daniel beat me to it.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
30-03-2015, 10:14 AM
(29-03-2015 04:50 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  The thing is, there is no laws against praying in school. Nor are there any laws that prohibit any adult, or child from taking a bible, Qu'ran, Torah, or any other holy book into a school and read it to themselves during any free time they may have.
What the Christians really want is to force their beliefs and force EVERY school child to study the bible and "FORCE" EVERY SINGLE LAST PERSON to have to listen to a American School teacher in every last school shove Christianity down their throats. Not just Christianity, but whatever Flavor of Christianity the teacher happens to be by allowing them the ability to put up Christian banners, statues, slogans, bible versus and LEAD children, teens and adults into prayer.

You can make the "they can just sit there any pretend they have it all figured out" bull shit argument that Christians make, or the "they can just ignore what is going on" argument that Libral minded conservatives would make....yes...its possible to be both. But it does not change the fact that this is the very reason why Christians really want the rules to be changed.

Not because they are not allowed to exercise their religion to themselves in any way. But, because they are not allowed to force their religion down the throats of others like they can on the streets when they go door to door on Saturday mornings, or when they hold up signs and shout out of loud speakers in large busy city squares to everyone within electronic ear shot!

Anyone can pray in school if they wanted too. It doesn't matter what deity. When I go back to college next term, I could Pray to Flying Spaghetti monster if I wanted too.

Yeah, I know it's not actually against the law to pray in school. It's hard to read atheist blogs and not pick up on that.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
30-03-2015, 07:25 PM
When I was in high school (as a believer), there was a prayer group that met before school. I can't remember if it was every morning or on a particular day, but it was perfectly acceptable. Nobody tried to stop it from happening, it was just a "come if you feel like it" kind of thing. Even as a believer I rarely went. In three years maybe only a handful of times.

On another note, I wonder how many kids actually bow their heads at lunch time. Not many from what I remember of high school. Where are our younger members? We need some live reporting.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
31-03-2015, 10:29 AM
No prayer, but certainly bullying and shaming of those who weren't believers. I remember that openly evangelical teachers were tolerated, but an annoyance. Partly because she was of one particular denomination and didn't like others.

But I do remember being bullied and pestered by classmates trying to evangelize when I began to question and doubt Christianity.