Do kids actually want to pray in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 12:46 PM
RE: Do kids actually want to pray in schools?
I was compelled to go to "seminary" in the morning before each day of school for my entire high school career at my church for 45 minutes, then shuttle off to first period.
I think at that point i had really lost most of my faith so it was an inconvenience to me, but i had contemporaries that were into it.
if these people are so concerned about daily doses of delusion, they should emply the LDS strategy, not that it is a better alternative, but at least they can do it on their own time in their own facility.
it wasn't until years later that i figured out why we never studied leviticus... lol!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2015, 04:00 PM
As someone who's still in high school, I can reliably say ... no. Not at all. Not even the religious kids seem to pray in school. Ever. Not that there's that many religious students to begin with. It's New York, and not upstate, so you're lucky to find even a handful of fundamentalists. Might have an easier time looking in Suffolk, but still. There are some kids who'll claim they've started praying heavily, but they.re usually making a joke about how stressful it is knowing that the APs are a month away.
But, I digress. While I may not be able to speak for, say, someplace like Mississippi or Texas, I can say that (here at least) school prayer is a non-issue. Not like you could get compulsory prayer here, anyway. There's enough Muslims here to give a religious right winger a heart attack. The prayer would have to be ecumenical or all-inclusive, and I don't think that's a point the Christian Right are willing to concede.
31-03-2015, 04:11 PM
When I was a kid a few kids were pulled out of the class and they got to go to Catechism. I had no fuckin idea what Catechism was but I figured it had something to do with candy. Like Candychism. (I donno, I was a silly kid.) Anyway, I was jealous cause they were getting a bunch of candy and I had to sit in my chair and learn stuff. I finally asked someone and they said the kids had to learn about church. How disappointing, and all that time I thought they were stuffing their faces with candy.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-04-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm sure some do, but in my experience - both in private christian and public schools - most do not.

For the most part, prayer time was when you could cut up and mess with others because all of the authority figures had their eyes closed.
01-04-2015, 03:46 PM
(28-03-2015 08:36 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I see the subject of prayer and bibles in school brought up a lot, and whenever it is all I can think is "How many kids want to pray in school to begin with?".

Seriously, is this a common want? Do you guys know school aged people who want to pray in schools? Regularly? I don't remember seeing it ever actually happening. Even when I went to Catholic school it only ever seemed to happen when the teachers made us.

I doubt even the children who believe really care that much about it.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.