Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?
The thread subject explains it all. I saw this comment on a Youtube video and I thought it would be worth discussing. Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist? I think this question can be a little tricky because it is true, that because of religion and because of the creation of Gods we had to separate ourselves and that resulted in the term Atheist, but at the same time we don't need a God to not believe in a God, we just don't believe in one because it doesn't fit the natural world and reality. What are your thoughts? Someone else made a comment which I thought was pretty good and it said:
Quote: Do non believers in unicorns need Unicorns in order to call themselves non-believers in unicorns?
No. In fact, 'non believers in unicorns' isn't even its own term, like 'atheism'.
It's the standard position.
The person that makes the claim 'unicorns exist' is required to explain it, not the person who does not believe in their existence.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
06-05-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?
(06-05-2014 05:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  The thread subject explains it all. I saw this comment on a Youtube video and I thought it would be worth discussing. Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist? I think this question can be a little tricky because it is true, that because of religion and because of the creation of Gods we had to separate ourselves and that resulted in the term Atheist, but at the same time we don't need a God to not believe in a God, we just don't believe in one because it doesn't fit the natural world and reality. What are your thoughts? Someone else made a comment which I thought was pretty good and it said:
Quote: Do non believers in unicorns need Unicorns in order to call themselves non-believers in unicorns?
No. In fact, 'non believers in unicorns' isn't even its own term, like 'atheism'.
The person that makes the claim 'unicorns exist' is required to explain it, not the person who does not believe in their existence.

Well Atheist is a reaction to the prevailing (incorrect and illogical) worldview that there is/are God/Gods if there comes to be a time when that is considered nonsense by the majority and only crackpots believe in imaginary friends then yes there would be a lack of a need for the term.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-05-2014, 05:30 PM
(06-05-2014 05:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  The thread subject explains it all. I saw this comment on a Youtube video and I thought it would be worth discussing. Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist? I think this question can be a little tricky because it is true, that because of religion and because of the creation of Gods we had to separate ourselves and that resulted in the term Atheist, but at the same time we don't need a God to not believe in a God, we just don't believe in one because it doesn't fit the natural world and reality. What are your thoughts? Someone else made a comment which I thought was pretty good and it said:

No, just the unsubstantiated claims of theists.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
06-05-2014, 05:39 PM
(06-05-2014 05:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Well Atheist is a reaction to the prevailing (incorrect and illogical) worldview that there is/are God/Gods if there comes to be a time when that is considered nonsense by the majority and only crackpots believe in imaginary friends then yes there would be a lack of a need for the term.

Don't get your hopes up lol

(06-05-2014 05:30 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  

No, just the unsubstantiated claims of theists.

But Atheism is denying of Deities, if no deities were ever created then the term Atheism would have never been created either.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
06-05-2014, 05:51 PM
(06-05-2014 05:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I saw this comment on a Youtube video...

I think I found the problem Smile

Anyway, I agree with True Scotsman; atheism doesn't require gods, just the concept of gods. Everyone would be atheist if gods were never invented, but we wouldn't have a word for it.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
06-05-2014, 06:22 PM
(06-05-2014 05:51 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 05:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I saw this comment on a Youtube video...

I think I found the problem Smile

Anyway, I agree with True Scotsman; atheism doesn't require gods, just the concept of gods. Everyone would be atheist if gods were never invented, but we wouldn't have a word for it.

If it helps it was a video of Neil deGrasse Tyson asking a question to Sam Harris.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
06-05-2014, 06:31 PM
(06-05-2014 06:22 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 05:51 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I think I found the problem Smile

If it helps it was a video of Neil deGrasse Tyson asking a question to Sam Harris.

Oh, no...the video wasn't the problem, it's comments on youtube. I've found they're rarely a bastion of rational discourse. Facepalm

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
06-05-2014, 06:36 PM
This is beyond stupid...

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
06-05-2014, 06:45 PM
(06-05-2014 06:31 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 06:22 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  If it helps it was a video of Neil deGrasse Tyson asking a question to Sam Harris.

Oh, no...the video wasn't the problem, it's comments on youtube. I've found they're rarely a bastion of rational discourse. Facepalm

Or anywhere on the internet for that matter.

(06-05-2014 06:36 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  This is beyond stupid...

Thank you for your comment...

06-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Quote:Thank you for your comment...

Well it is.

If religion and God isn't a thing than who gives a fuck that atheism isn't a word???

It's stupid.

[Image: oscar.png]