Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 06:57 PM
RE: Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?
(06-05-2014 06:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Thank you for your comment...

Well it is.

If religion and God isn't a thing than who gives a fuck that atheism isn't a word???

It's stupid.

I know

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 07:03 PM by Charis.)
The need for the term "atheist" does not arise due to the existence of a god, or even the existence of a mere belief in a god (or gods), but rather due to the prevalence of such belief among the populace and to the influence that such beliefs have on societies.

To call myself an Aleprechaunist might be technically correct, but identifying as such would be pointless because belief in leprechauns is neither widespread nor influential enough to warrant such a term for myself. But "Atheist" IS warranted (in my opinion), due to the widespread belief in various gods and due to how these various systems of theology shape communities, small and large.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 5 users Like Charis's post
06-05-2014, 07:01 PM
In order to call myself an atheist, primarily I need courage. I need bravery that will allow me to find another job should I get fired for voicing reason in a crowd of delusional co-workers. Some need the kind of fortitude that a solider at war has when they announce publicly that they are no longer muslim. I have no idea if I could have that much will to face a death sentence for the simple act of saying "I don't believe".

Theists don't need a god in order to be theists. All they need is the willingness to ignore reality in favor of a fantasy.

Gods are never needed, hope however is.
Hope for a better tomorrow with more people who desire to treat others as they themselves would like to be treated

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
06-05-2014, 07:02 PM
(06-05-2014 06:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 06:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well it is.

If religion and God isn't a thing than who gives a fuck that atheism isn't a word???

It's stupid.

I know

Than why make the thread?
06-05-2014, 07:04 PM
(06-05-2014 07:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 06:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I know

Than why make the thread?

Well it still can be discussed, a lot of threads by your definition are stupid but yet they still exist

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
06-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist? Consider

Well.... I'm thinking you need to explore one of the ignostic threads.

I'd link it but, I'm currently alinkist. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
06-05-2014, 07:05 PM
(06-05-2014 07:05 PM)kim Wrote:  Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist? Consider

Well.... I'm thinking you need to explore one of the ignostic threads.

I'd link it but, I'm currently alinkist. Drinking Beverage
Laugh out load

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
06-05-2014, 07:10 PM
(06-05-2014 07:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 07:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Than why make the thread?

Well it still can be discussed, a lot of threads by your definition are stupid but yet they still exist

So? Heaps of people rape other people in the world, doesn't mean you can go out and rape someone.
06-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Well yes, and no.

The word atheist in the sense of the world. Does not need God directly but any deity no matter what the numbers or the name. So in the literal sense. Yes, We need got to call ourselves Atheist.

If religion did not exist or ceased to exist in terms of deityship and those stupid archaic stories etc. Such as newer religions being born these days that are more spiritual in the sense of human social evolution and awareness instead of supernatural deities etc.

The word would not exist anymore so we could not call ourselves that.

It would simply be, do you or don't you believe this X spiritualistic view point and no one would really care or fight over about it really.
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
06-05-2014, 11:04 PM
A-theism. Absence of theism.
A-symmetry. Absence of symmetry.

Do people need a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto to dismiss the notion ?

Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post