Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 11:13 PM
RE: Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?
(06-05-2014 11:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Do people need a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto to dismiss the notion?

Weeping

Depends. Bel Air? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 11:14 PM
(06-05-2014 11:13 PM)kim Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 11:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Do people need a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto to dismiss the notion?

Weeping

Depends. Bel Air? Shy

[Image: Freshprincelogo.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
06-05-2014, 11:30 PM
1957 Chevrolet Two-Ten Townsman 4-door 6-passenger Station Wagon
[Image: 57_Chevy_210.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-05-2014, 11:30 PM
(06-05-2014 11:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  A-theism. Absence of theism.
A-symmetry. Absence of symmetry.

Do people need "a-"1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto to dismiss the notion ?

Weeping

I'm just gonna try to be clever for a second here so bear with, this might go horribly wrong...

Oh yes, great success Muffs, you're a fucking genius.

Cool

Get it? Because he's talking about how A-Theism is the absence of theism. And I made what he said into A-1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto, as in the absence of a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto.

I amaze even myself sometimes.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-05-2014, 07:25 AM
(06-05-2014 05:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?
This is what I am trying to address in the problem with the term, "atheism."

Atheism only makes sense because theism exists. Eliminate theism, and atheism is subsequently eliminated - humanism is the default.

The term, "humanism," is not dependent on the exercise of another term for validity.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
07-05-2014, 07:30 AM
(06-05-2014 11:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I amaze even myself sometimes.

The media has been alerted. Drinking Beverage

07-05-2014, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 10:15 AM by Artie.)
(07-05-2014 07:25 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 05:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?
This is what I am trying to address in the problem with the term, "atheism."

Atheism only makes sense because theism exists. Eliminate theism, and atheism is subsequently eliminated - humanism is the default.
"Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

Eliminate theism and everybody would be not theists (atheists) but it wouldn't be necessary to have a special word for not being a theist. Not being a theist and being a humanist is of course not the same thing although one can be both. An irrational and immoral person who is not a theist may assign absolutely no value to human beings and kill them in millions (Stalin), a person who is not a theist may not prefer "critical thinking and evidence" and believe in whatever he wants no matter how irrational as long as it doesn't involve gods.
[+] 1 user Likes Artie's post
07-05-2014, 10:30 AM
(07-05-2014 10:11 AM)Artie Wrote:  An irrational and immoral person who is not a theist may assign absolutely no value to human beings and kill them in millions (Stalin), a person who is not a theist may not prefer "critical thinking and evidence" and believe in whatever he wants no matter how irrational as long as it doesn't involve gods.
You may describe the person with out morality, but Stalin probably believed he was exterminating burdensome people to make way for the better civilization based on scientific information (inaccurate by today's standards).

What do you want to do with the burdensome people we have now - I'm living on welfare, I know what it like. I am unemployed, I troll the Internet forums, eat, smoke, and drink, on your dime; and there are millions like me. For those brilliant philosophers who say that life has no meaning - why work???

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
07-05-2014, 10:50 AM
As others said, the main reason atheists identify themselves as "atheists" is because most religious people do not understand "I don't believe in any god".

I personally try to avoid the term as much as I can. I actually never use it anymore, and many people in here will agree that it is not a name that we like or wish to hold forever. I believe most of us are wishing there will be a day when it won't even need to exist as a word.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
07-05-2014, 11:09 AM
(07-05-2014 10:50 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  . . . and many people in here will agree that it is not a name that we like or wish to hold forever. I believe most of us are wishing there will be a day when it won't even need to exist as a word.
I believe you are mistaken. I have laid out the semantic correction that will occur to signify the situation that you describe (no need for atheism), but atheists refuse to accept it, much less progress it - they unwittingly perpetuate the stagnation of the revolution that they are really wishing for.