Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2014, 12:21 PM
RE: Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?
(08-05-2014 08:40 AM)namrejaf Wrote:  The trouble with being an atheist is that whenever I try to discuss something with a believer, I am made to feel like someone who has kicked a puppy. I have been an atheist all my life (started about age 10/11) and a synagogue member for the last 40 years or so. As Didactylos says, Whatthehell?

It's called an "Argumentum Ad Hominem Fallacy". They have no reasonable arguments, so they attack your character and pretend they have shown you.

It's bullshit, but hey it works for them, in their deluded minds....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2014, 12:41 PM
RE: Do non-believers need God in order to call themselves Atheist?
(06-05-2014 05:51 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  . . . atheism doesn't require gods, just the concept of gods. Everyone would be atheist if gods were never invented, but we wouldn't have a word for it.
Except for the possibility that the Xtians generated the term, because they commandeered the language just like they commandeered science, education, and everything else in the world. And to solve this problem is why the term, "humanism," was generated - it is not dependent on the existence of theists guarding theism.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply