Do or Die

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-09-2016, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2016 11:42 PM by OrdoSkeptica.)
RE: Do or Die
(25-09-2016 04:22 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  As I said, I have some rough things going on in my life right now, and I was probably trying to cause an argument out of frustration. I didn't realize that, that wasn't my conscious intent, but I recognized it after I wrote my post and re-read it later.

If your life is rough how about not starting shit online because i can't see that making life any easier .This is an internet forum where we talk about shit not a group theopy session

Quote: Neither of you do a thing for me, sorry...it would be kind of fun have a little dust-up with a worthy opponent, but you two are both all show and no go, I'm afraid.

And you just contradicted yourself on one hand your all "oh poor me woe is my pain you guys are meanies for pointing out my bullshit my mental state is so fragile".Then your like bring it motherfuckers" seeing a inconsistency here i seems we have a glass house amount us .You want a worthy opponent well there is a giant pile of bovine fecal matter over their that's about worth you and better still you speak the same language

Quote: As it happens, I have a Masters in Herpetology from SRSU, and a Masters in applied aerodynamics from CU-B

First off don't believe you
Second- your post sure as hell don't reflect this
Third i generally people who need to brag about there credentials(like creationists) who generally show insecurity as if there posts can't stand on there own so they need to brow beat people with them (Jason lisle dose this alot)
Fourth even if i believed you which i don't what the hell dose aerodynamics have to do with politics or history
So no i fear in terms of education your neither show nor go so go blow a hoe in the snow bro

Quote: I have been a member of MENSA since 1982, having scored a 163 on the Stanford-Binet and in the high 99th percentile on the Mensa exam.

First off don't believe you
Second- your post sure as hell don't reflect this
Third i generally people who need to brag about there credentials(like creationists) who generally show insecurity as if there posts can't stand on there own so they need to brow beat people with them
Fourth having a high IQ doesn't actually mean your smart and even if your generally smart it doesn't translate to expertise in any specific field

Quote: I find that people who resort to abuse as quickly as the two of you do, generally are compensating for something.

That's too bad.

I doubt you can find your car keys let alone the fundamentals of the human psyche.Unless your aerodynamics degree came with a minor in psychology please drop your "experienced " amateur psychoanalysis ( we get enough of that shit from Fundies on this site).And i have resorted to nothing resort would imply your a challenge" It's to bad your not really just another bump in my road

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OrdoSkeptica's post
26-09-2016, 03:21 AM
(25-09-2016 12:22 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  But I have dealt with the..."bad guys" of the world, and I know first hand that hugs and high fives only make them see you as weak and prime for the taking.

This jumped out at me.

I've dealt with some bad guys myself -- not from your angle, as a cop, but as someone who's lived alongside them in the shitholes. I'm a straight runner -- as my dad beat into my head, walk, talk, smoke, and joke (non-Texan translation: don't fuck with me, we'll get along).

Lived for years in SoCal in neighborhoods infested with gangbangers, but managed just fine. Never owned a gun, never skulked in fear, either. I simply treated people as people. Example -- one afternoon, I'm crankin' my Les Paul through my 100w half-stack, and go to take a smoke break out on the stairwell of my apartment. Little vato loco comes up the stairs, "'sup, bro?" We smoke a cigarette, and the kid (probably 20, 21) tells me he did ink in the joint and's trying to make some dough on release, heard me playing guitar, and knows how to use guitar strings as tattoo needles, needs to make a dime. Do I have some to spare? "Shit," I tell him, "I change strings once a month on five guitars, I'll save the old ones. You come on up any time."

I lived in the worst neighborhood in Oxnard, California, one with a gang injunction. Kid knew I had gear, once we talked that day. But I never had a problem there. Not one. No break-ins, no nothing. I didn't own a gun, didn't fly any bad-ass flag -- I just dealt with people how they dealt with me. You're cool? We're cool.

Perhaps it was because I treated him like a person and not a predator, can't really say. But I do think that who we think of as "bad guys" -- your words -- the stereotypes we hold -- has a lot to do with how we get along with folks.

I don't see the point of going through life on the defensive. I'll high-five any sonofabitch, and if he's stupid enough to think that makes me a target, that's his problem, not mine.

But I won't be judging him before that moment. That's just me.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-09-2016, 03:33 AM
(25-09-2016 11:15 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I can deal with ejecting out of a burning jet. Again, been there. Although that incident may prove my undoing.

When and where was this?
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-09-2016, 04:54 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 05:02 AM by OrdoSkeptica.)
(26-09-2016 03:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 12:22 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  But I have dealt with the..."bad guys" of the world, and I know first hand that hugs and high fives only make them see you as weak and prime for the taking.

This jumped out at me.

I've dealt with some bad guys myself -- not from your angle, as a cop, but as someone who's lived alongside them in the shitholes. I'm a straight runner -- as my dad beat into my head, walk, talk, smoke, and joke (non-Texan translation: don't fuck with me, we'll get along).

Lived for years in SoCal in neighborhoods infested with gangbangers, but managed just fine. Never owned a gun, never skulked in fear, either. I simply treated people as people. Example -- one afternoon, I'm crankin' my Les Paul through my 100w half-stack, and go to take a smoke break out on the stairwell of my apartment. Little vato loco comes up the stairs, "'sup, bro?" We smoke a cigarette, and the kid (probably 20, 21) tells me he did ink in the joint and's trying to make some dough on release, heard me playing guitar, and knows how to use guitar strings as tattoo needles, needs to make a dime. Do I have some to spare? "Shit," I tell him, "I change strings once a month on five guitars, I'll save the old ones. You come on up any time."

I lived in the worst neighborhood in Oxnard, California, one with a gang injunction. Kid knew I had gear, once we talked that day. But I never had a problem there. Not one. No break-ins, no nothing. I didn't own a gun, didn't fly any bad-ass flag -- I just dealt with people how they dealt with me. You're cool? We're cool.

Perhaps it was because I treated him like a person and not a predator, can't really say. But I do think that who we think of as "bad guys" -- your words -- the stereotypes we hold -- has a lot to do with how we get along with folks.

I don't see the point of going through life on the defensive. I'll high-five any sonofabitch, and if he's stupid enough to think that makes me a target, that's his problem, not mine.

But I won't be judging him before that moment. That's just me.

Thumb that freaking beautiful

I live in an overwhelmingly Muslim neighborhood and have so for 7 years (i left home at 17) had a problem once .And emphasize I'M A FREAKING JEW if there is anyone in the neighborhood they would want dead it should me. It's not like i hide it it's a neighborhood wide fact i'm a Jew. My freakin neighbor is from Lebanon and his entire first family was wiped out by an Israeli airstrike yet iv'e looked after his kids (second family) why would this be i wonder. I can't be because i'm not seen as weak i have never once owned a gun i almost never lock my door when i'm home there absolutely nothing stopping someone from killing me. maybe it's because the see me as person instead of a label and view them in kind.

Dorko is free to use his heavy handed methods to force conformity but will do so in vain in the end all his methods breed is hate resentment that will create more enemies. Which means more heavy handed methods which will create even more enemies. and so on and so on and so on

High fives and hugs may not always make friends but Dehumanizing people will always create enemies .

[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
26-09-2016, 05:01 AM

26-09-2016, 07:27 AM
(24-09-2016 10:04 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  OK guys...I've been doing a lot of thinking, and basically, I really like most of you. I think you're good people, and many of your ideas and philosophies have a great deal of merit, even if they are not my own.

Okay. First thing. Your repeatedly condescending, 'holier-than-thou' attitude is wearing a little thin. I'm really pleased [sic] that you think we're "good people" and you "like" most of us. I'd be totally devastated if you didn't like us as good people..

Quote:I don't mind lively debate, but outright abuse is counterproductive, and since I am not as evolved as you are, I just want to punch somebody in the throat, and since the internet hasn't offered that service yet, it is just frustrating.

It's strange that later on in this very thread, when backed into a corner, you resort to "outright abuse" yourself. And the ad hominems fly thick and fast, as per "You are precisely the type of arrogant moron...".

Quote:I am disheartened when my wealth of knowledge and experience is just ignored because my opinion differs from yours.

Oh dear! Seriously? Are you really that insecure that you're "disheartened" by the comments of a few people who you'll never meet, on a forum on which even you use a nom de guerre? Thin skin much LOL.

Quote:I would lay money on the fact that I have as much life experience as anyone on this board, and much more than most.

Ahhh... your arrogance is only bettered by your ignorance in the ways of the world. Or your poor assessment skills. But then, at only 50, you still have a lot left to learn. Obviously.

Quote:I served in the military with honor, as an F-15C fighter pilot.

Oh, WOW! Really? Gee, what a hero. I must remember to fall to my knees whenever I read your comments, and never forget that I owe my very freedom to you alone.

Quote:I have a lifetime of experience behind me, and although I hold a master's degree, my life was not spent in school, it was spent in the world, experiencing all it had to offer... My choices come from blood and guts and dead children and body parts and sadness and suffering and pain and hunger and sacrifice...

A "lifetime" of experience at age 50 years? So you admit you still have another 10 or 20 years' worth of learning ahead of you sonny boy? And why is it that I think I can hear the faint sounds of the "The Star-Spangled Banner" being played by a lone bugler? BTW, I think you're wasting a possible career as a screenwriter, or have you already.....? Silly question; of course you have LOL.

Quote:Now let's see who still likes me- if anyone did.

For someone who claims to be all-knowing, and fearless and invariably right, it surprises me that you're so blatantly fishing for compliments—as an obvious ego boost. I don't really care one way or the other if people on a forum agree or disagree with my opinions—why the fuck should anybody? None of us really "knows" the others in any meaningful way, other than our political and world views, or our sense of humour or a dozen other self-identified characteristics.

Personally, I neither like nor dislike your persona here. I doubt a lot of the grand personal claims you make about yourself and your huge skills-set and your all-encompassing life experiences (is there anything you haven't done?) but then that's my choice. Sorry. Suck it up mate.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
26-09-2016, 07:43 AM
(25-09-2016 02:23 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Concerning self perception - I must say that your opinion about yourself is intriguing. As I heard people tend to think that they're smarter than they really are but you're taking it to extreme I feel. [...]

I can only suggest that The Dark One read up on the Dunning-Kruger Effect. He unerringly fits the clinical descriptors. Sad really.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
26-09-2016, 07:55 AM
I actually do think disability fraud is a huge issue, and not talked about enough. I am guessing because welfare is poor, typically minority, women - easier to 'blame'. And disability tends to be caucasian, blue or white collar men.

There are 3 men and 1 women in my 'circle' of acquaintances that I know are on disability. One gets $5,000 a month. He has a bad back - but manages to travel, work outside in the yard, walk the dog, drag in a 10ft. Christmas tree, etc. The second is obese, which I am NOT faulting him for, however....he can still cook, drive a car, travel. I fail to see how this precludes him from having a job. The woman has nerve pain but again, manages to travel, shop, go apple picking, babysit her grandkids, etc.

It makes me angry because there are people who have TRUE disabilities. They cannot work AT ALL or they are terminally ill and wracking up thousands in medical debt.
26-09-2016, 07:57 AM
The Dark One sounds like a reactionary. Yearning for a return back to utopia.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
26-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Dark One - without taking a position one way or another on your political views, you've only been here since July and have a Rep of 21. That's hardly what I'd call persecution/abuse.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post