Do people dismiss you because of your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2013, 11:06 AM
RE: Do people dismiss you because of your atheism?
(14-04-2013 05:41 AM)Thanh Wrote:  At the workplace, I noticed that people in my team have been ignoring my input and feedback regarding lots of topics like relationships, politics, and life in general. We talk philosophy but with a majority of theists (Muslims and Catholics) it always comes down to the word of God and the holy books. My ideas come second if at all.

My trick is that I try to get my words in last, so that people remember what I say. I often have to face counter-arguments and ridicule about my geeky lifestyle (because instead of practicing religion, I read and write a lot, and watch movies. And yes I happen to enjoy video games). Theists pretend to be interested in science topics to bait me into mockery instead of really learning anything.

Being the only "outed" atheist I usually don't get involved in religious talk because I don't have the energy to get into a heated debate about faith and morality. But the general feeling is that, because I don't believe in an imaginary friend, my ideas and wisdom don't matter to those who do (believe in said imaginary friend). There are times when I know someone is troubled and I want to help them... But they wouldn't let me knowing that I don't pray, or maybe they fear that I would try to make them lose faith in their god.

This is the kind of moments when I hate, and really mean hate, religion. What if I needed help and moral support? Who would offer to help me then?

I would hope your real friends would offer help.

Yes....a few people have said that because of my "lack of belief" I'm somehow disqualified from discussion about any number of topics. Drinking Beverage

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm dismissed more for my skepticism than for being an atheist.

My father is a firefighter/paramedic of 25+ years, and he's since "retired" to the training academy where he trains recruits on how to intubate pig corpses and such. Recently, as preperation for a class on autism and the autism-related things paramedics might encounter in the field, he held a phone interview with a member of some autism awareness group (no bias there, no way) who told the story of a bright young man who, after recieving all of his vaccinations in one day, became completely autistic. Shitting his pants, drooling, rocking back and forth, etc. My dad, being the gullible fuck that he is, ate it right up and is now teaching his class that vaccinations cause autism because the smart lady at the awareness group said they do.

Naturally, I scoffed and told him that there is no evidence that vaccines cause autism. He insisted that it happens because the "doctor" told him so. So I asked him:

"Are you going to be speaking to this woman again?"

"Probably; I'm gonna need to do a follow-up before the class is over next month."

"Ok, here's what I want you to do. The next time you speak to her, and I'm serious here, I want you to request that she send you her peer-reviewed data to prove that this one, singular case of autism - if it happened at all - was caused by the vaccines the man was given."

"What's 'peer-review'?"

"*Facepalms* When a scientist makes a claim, he or she needs to submit that claim for peer-review; which means the scientific community gets to pick it apart piece by piece and determine whether or not it's valid. If it's not valid, they toss it the fuck out. If it's valid, they give it the ok. So this dumbass doctor of yours is making a claim; that must mean it's been peer-reviewed and found to be valid. She shouldn't be making the claim if it's not. So, I'd like to see her peer-reviewed data."

At this point, he became incredibly dismissive and basically told me to fuck off. After all, it doesn't matter how reasonable I'm being, the big smart lady at the anti-vacc-....I'm sorry, the "autism awareness place" (wherever and whatever the fuck that is) told him that vaccines cause autism. Who am I to question her in-depth knowledge?

Such dismissal of skeptical thinking occurs often. Particularly among my more religiously-inclined associates.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2013, 02:49 PM
(14-04-2013 02:42 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'm dismissed more for my skepticism than for being an atheist.

My father is a firefighter/paramedic of 25+ years, and he's since "retired" to the training academy where he trains recruits on how to intubate pig corpses and such. Recently, as preperation for a class on autism and the autism-related things paramedics might encounter in the field, he held a phone interview with a member of some autism awareness group (no bias there, no way) who told the story of a bright young man who, after recieving all of his vaccinations in one day, became completely autistic. Shitting his pants, drooling, rocking back and forth, etc. My dad, being the gullible fuck that he is, ate it right up and is now teaching his class that vaccinations cause autism because the smart lady at the awareness group said they do.

Naturally, I scoffed and told him that there is no evidence that vaccines cause autism. He insisted that it happens because the "doctor" told him so. So I asked him:

"Probably; I'm gonna need to do a follow-up before the class is over next month."

"Ok, here's what I want you to do. The next time you speak to her, and I'm serious here, I want you to request that she send you her peer-reviewed data to prove that this one, singular case of autism - if it happened at all - was caused by the vaccines the man was given."

"What's 'peer-review'?"

"*Facepalms* When a scientist makes a claim, he or she needs to submit that claim for peer-review; which means the scientific community gets to pick it apart piece by piece and determine whether or not it's valid. If it's not valid, they toss it the fuck out. If it's valid, they give it the ok. So this dumbass doctor of yours is making a claim; that must mean it's been peer-reviewed and found to be valid. She shouldn't be making the claim if it's not. So, I'd like to see her peer-reviewed data."

At this point, he became incredibly dismissive and basically told me to fuck off. After all, it doesn't matter how reasonable I'm being, the big smart lady at the anti-vacc-....I'm sorry, the "autism awareness place" (wherever and whatever the fuck that is) told him that vaccines cause autism. Who am I to question her in-depth knowledge?

Such dismissal of skeptical thinking occurs often. Particularly among my more religiously-inclined associates.

Holy shit. Your dad should meet my dad.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
14-04-2013, 02:58 PM
(14-04-2013 02:49 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 02:42 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'm dismissed more for my skepticism than for being an atheist.

"What's 'peer-review'?"

Holy shit. Your dad should meet my dad.

I'm beginning to think that both of our families in general would really click. lol

14-04-2013, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 07:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(14-04-2013 05:45 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Nope. Religion (or the lack thereof) is a private thing in Germany.

People actually are surprised that I am also. I have a lot of religious friends. Some of my late great-aunt's nun friends are my very good friends. Thay are great ole gals. They teach reading to the poor, and immigrants, and do prisoner outreach. I love them like I do my family. I just shut my mouth. No reason to constantly make an issue of it. I'm also involved in music, some of it at churches, occasionally. My little "wedding group" of student trumpeters, string quartet, soloists, and various assorted French horns, and oboes, and tympani, is in huge demand, lately, since we did a famous pro athlete's wedding. I could turn it into a profession, but I doubt I will. Life is complicated. Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-04-2013, 07:17 PM
No, tends to be the other way around.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
14-04-2013, 08:26 PM
(14-04-2013 02:58 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 02:49 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Holy shit. Your dad should meet my dad.

I'm beginning to think that both of our families in general would really click. lol

Well my dad doesn't do much with his life so emails would be a definite start.

No, no. I take that back. But it would be something of a WTAF from our dads. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
14-04-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 09:43 PM by Mark Fulton.)
Hey Thanh.

You're proud you're an athist. Right?

You're proud you're female. Right?

You're proud you're single. Right?

No-one can put you down. You don't need support ( although it's nice to get some)

You will be what you decide you are. Stand up for yourself, be real and honest, and no-one can hurt you.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
14-04-2013, 09:23 PM

"What's 'peer-review'?"

I want the name of that group. Seriously. It's bullshit and scares people for no reason. And it fucking pisses me off to no end.
That kinda shit is worse than those fucking DAN doctors going on about their fucking cure all diets.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-04-2013, 11:45 PM
(14-04-2013 09:23 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

"What's 'peer-review'?"

I want the name of that group. Seriously. It's bullshit and scares people for no reason. And it fucking pisses me off to no end.
That kinda shit is worse than those fucking DAN doctors going on about their fucking cure all diets.

The thing that gets me is that he's gonna be teaching this to 30 students a class - one class a day - for a month. He starts tomorrow.

I'm no good at the maths, but 30 new students a day for a month being taught pure, grade A, unpasturized bullshit is fucking sad.

[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post