Do people dismiss you because of your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 01:19 AM
RE: Do people dismiss you because of your atheism?
Actually, I get mixed results in this area. I have one friend who just completely dismissed me, and then I have a rather larger group of friends who actually value my opinion more, since I have an unbiased view. I actually have a catholic girl who constantly asks me about relationship advice (being this is the first one she's ever had) because she knows if she asks people in her church group she isn't going to get an honest answer. Also, in areas of science, I do have a friend who goes to a bible college, whom whenever he writes a paper on science, biology in paticular, he sends me a copy so I can fact check the science, the most recent being on the topic of homosexuality.

On rare occasions, things actually work out lol
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DerekS's post
15-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Yeah, that really sucks. And it happens all the time, and that's scary.

I know what you mean about being dismissed for skepticism more than anything, though. People seem to think people are skeptical for the sole purpose of being an asshole or upsetting people, they don't grasp that it's more to do with making sure there is a good reason to believe a claim. I get it all the time with people into all sorts of supernatural stuff, ghosts, psychic crap,talking to dead people etc. I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, I'm trying to not be gullible.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like amyb's post
15-04-2013, 09:02 AM
(14-04-2013 11:45 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 09:23 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I want the name of that group. Seriously. It's bullshit and scares people for no reason. And it fucking pisses me off to no end.
That kinda shit is worse than those fucking DAN doctors going on about their fucking cure all diets.

The thing that gets me is that he's gonna be teaching this to 30 students a class - one class a day - for a month. He starts tomorrow.

I'm no good at the maths, but 30 new students a day for a month being taught pure, grade A, unpasturized bullshit is fucking sad.

Tell him he needs to stop getting information from the Church of Scientology.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-04-2013, 09:15 AM
In a way, I find the opposite: I tend to avoid *them.* Makes for a kind of lonely life, but I get so tired of the "Pray for this" and "Thank God for that." Ironically, I find those people to be the meanest, in general. I don't want to be around them.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
15-04-2013, 09:25 AM
People dismiss me because...

I love my Gwynnies! Big Grin

Ya know what's funny? I go into the loony bin, talking about being a "prophet of god" and shit, and the mental health professionals accuse me of being the sanest person in the building.

But!

I start talking about my Gwynnies, and they're like, nutbag, certified. Big Grin

But, no. It's one of the "verifying points" of being a prophet. Peeps tend to listen to me when I start talking about god. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Sorry if you've already posted this, but where in the world do you live?
15-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Ah sorry, I see you live in France. Its unbelievable that you could be ignored becuase of atheism - I always thought that France was a pretty progressive country in that sense.
I've worked with French, German and Danish people, and I no way want to be xenophobic - but I've found disrespect for being a vegetarian. I'm sure many British people are bigoted in that way too - but I think vegetarianism is much bigger here. Do you think it is just your progressive views in general and your workmates are bigots?

What kind of work do you do? (Again, sorry if this has already been mentioned!)
15-04-2013, 11:34 AM
(14-04-2013 02:42 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  My father is a firefighter/paramedic of 25+ years, and he's since "retired" to the training academy where he trains recruits on how to intubate pig corpses and such. Recently, as preperation for a class on autism and the autism-related things paramedics might encounter in the field, he held a phone interview with a member of some autism awareness group (no bias there, no way) who told the story of a bright young man who, after recieving all of his vaccinations in one day, became completely autistic. Shitting his pants, drooling, rocking back and forth, etc. My dad, being the gullible fuck that he is, ate it right up and is now teaching his class that vaccinations cause autism because the smart lady at the awareness group said they do.

Man that whole vaccination/autism thing was so bad. There's a massive outbreak of measles in Wales at the moment because people were so gullible to believe that crap. And its spreading. Well done autism awareness
15-04-2013, 02:09 PM
(15-04-2013 11:30 AM)Elio27 Wrote:  Ah sorry, I see you live in France. Its unbelievable that you could be ignored becuase of atheism - I always thought that France was a pretty progressive country in that sense.
I've worked with French, German and Danish people, and I no way want to be xenophobic - but I've found disrespect for being a vegetarian. I'm sure many British people are bigoted in that way too - but I think vegetarianism is much bigger here. Do you think it is just your progressive views in general and your workmates are bigots?

France is mainly a monotheistic country with only 25% of non-believers. Atheism is negatively connoted here, probably because people remember anti-religious dogmas from communism.

I'm also a vegetarian and it's not something I like to advertise unless we're talking about health issues related to food, agriculture, and yeah sometimes when the question of halal meat comes up. Most of my Muslim friends will refrain from eating red meat which is where we find common ground, but not for the same reason. I never pass the opportunity to give them new information about veggie diets, the environmental consequences of livestock industries, talking the horrors happening behind the close doors of all slaughter houses. I don't like to sugar-coat and I always make sure they understand my choices. Except when it comes to atheism, there's mutual respect of everyone's position there.

Being progressive is important especially because we live in a conservative environment. I work with airport security. There are so many different ideas and people that I meet everyday and my regular team has some of the most open-minded, tolerant, intelligent coworkers. Sadly we have a couple of bad eggs who try to ruin the bunch. Here's another topic where I give you a lot of more details regarding religious issues in my workplace:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...im-convert

I tried to view France as an "evolved" model for society for years but the reality is always different since people all come from a different cultural background. In Western Europe, France is probably the most "backward" of all societies (just look at all the riots going on against gay marriage right now).
15-04-2013, 07:06 PM
(15-04-2013 02:09 PM)Thanh Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:30 AM)Elio27 Wrote:  Ah sorry, I see you live in France. Its unbelievable that you could be ignored becuase of atheism - I always thought that France was a pretty progressive country in that sense.

France is mainly a monotheistic country with only 25% of non-believers. Atheism is negatively connoted here, probably because people remember anti-religious dogmas from communism.

I'm also a vegetarian and it's not something I like to advertise unless we're talking about health issues related to food, agriculture, and yeah sometimes when the question of halal meat comes up. Most of my Muslim friends will refrain from eating red meat which is where we find common ground, but not for the same reason. I never pass the opportunity to give them new information about veggie diets, the environmental consequences of livestock industries, talking the horrors happening behind the close doors of all slaughter houses. I don't like to sugar-coat and I always make sure they understand my choices. Except when it comes to atheism, there's mutual respect of everyone's position there.

Being progressive is important especially because we live in a conservative environment. I work with airport security. There are so many different ideas and people that I meet everyday and my regular team has some of the most open-minded, tolerant, intelligent coworkers. Sadly we have a couple of bad eggs who try to ruin the bunch. Here's another topic where I give you a lot of more details regarding religious issues in my workplace:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...im-convert

I tried to view France as an "evolved" model for society for years but the reality is always different since people all come from a different cultural background. In Western Europe, France is probably the most "backward" of all societies (just look at all the riots going on against gay marriage right now).

Maybe it's not your atheism.

Maybe you're being dismissed because of your vegetarianism.

Or because you're friendly with Muslims.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]