Do people go overboard on "going to hell"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Do people go overboard on "going to hell"?
Just yesterday I was talking to someone who said that she was looking forward (and would personally kick them to hell, and beat the crap to them if she could hang them from a tree):

Obama
Congress
Business owners
Anyone doing bad things (i.e. marijuana, alcohol, or drugs)
Mormons are going to hell
Anyone not thinking like them is going to hell
X dumped my son/daughter, they're going to hell! (yeah, X is a teenager like 14, but still, HELL FOR THE EX!)

Do people not think about what hell (eternity, pain and suffering) is?

Anyway, I just keep on hearing people saying that people are going to hell here lately. Every day someone else has been condemned to hell. It makes me want to scream... I literally had to smile while biting my tongue to prevent myself from saying something even as I wanted to say "it's a scam, there is no hell or heaven, it's a way for the church to take your money--you know, the same minister who shows up to the old people's homes the day they get their govt checks to 'help' them calculate their 10-15% tithe? yeah, they just want your money, they don't care if you never show up" (sadly, the part about the minister is true, he shows up and does "help" them calculate how much money to give to him--he even brings a drawing from children as a gift so they feel compelled to give back to him).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2012, 09:54 AM
RE: Do people go overboard on "going to hell"?
Do people go overboard on going to hell?

Yes

Achilles did.

08-08-2012, 10:23 AM
You wanna see hell overboard? Read Dante's Inferno.

I do think that "you're going to hell" or "I'm going to hell" has become a social phrase just like "Oh my god" and "jesus christ." So yes. Just another showing of the overgeneralization and uneducation that we have.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
08-08-2012, 10:30 AM
(08-08-2012 10:23 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  You wanna see hell overboard? Read Dante's Inferno.

I do think that "you're going to hell" or "I'm going to hell" has become a social phrase just like "Oh my god" and "jesus christ." So yes. Just another showing of the overgeneralization and uneducation that we have.

Required reading when I was at Saint Louis University Smile Just the other day I told my mother that I found something "in the seventh circle of hell" just because it sounded better than "the bottom drawer" lol. And I am kind of found to the phrase (probably not exact as it's been a while): "Abandon all hope al ye who enter here" as it seems way too appropriate for many workplaces.
[+] 2 users Like elemts's post
08-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I got an email from the exorcist Bob Larson's list where Bob writes that Gore Vidal went to hell. I like to turn this threat back on christians by telling them that going to hell doesn't sound as bad as they present it. Now Gore Vidal knows that his life has meaning!
08-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Lately I've been bothered by constantly seeing people post pictures or saying things like, Oh I'm so going to hell for that joke.

It has gotten to a point of being really annoying. Perhaps I'm not a fan of things being "forbidden" or "off-limits" so it annoys me that people even in humor go with that mindset.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-08-2012, 06:39 PM
They don't think about it just as they don't really think through the aweful concept of heaven.

It's like a revenge reflex because they feel powerless.
"I can't get you back for that [whatever transgression] but you'll get your come-uppance at the hands of someone more powerful (and unrestrained by pesky moral/laws)."

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
03-09-2012, 03:28 AM
(08-08-2012 10:23 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  You wanna see hell overboard? Read Dante's Inferno.

I disagree about saying "Oh my god." something being caused by lack of education. I was raised in a church, so while I don't believe in god the phrase still sticks with me. I use it when I really want to curse and can't because I don't want my bird using that language, since the next step is having kids and I can't have the bird teaching my kids filthy language. It seems too childish to say words like "darn".
03-09-2012, 03:43 AM
I think they do.

When I was still in the process of becoming an atheist I had stumbled upon a youtube video that basically said atheists would burn in hell, and suffer along with rapists, killers, and other vulgar positions.

It was very hurtful, and sometimes when I'm emotional and someone says that to me it still stings.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
03-09-2012, 04:02 AM
I can understand how it can be annoying to a point. I hardly ever say it (and right now I can't think of anytime in recent history that I have) and I just chuckle a little bit to myself when I see or hear it. I agree with AmishLatinJew... it's just a saying nowadays. I still say "oh my god" and "jesus christ" occasionally. That doesn't mean I'm under-educated or misinformed. To me it's like a reflex of saying an expletive or exclamation when something happens.

It's no different than "proper" people getting upset over people cussing. They're all just words. That being said, when someone is serious in saying that someone else is going to hell is when it is a problem. Jokingly I don't have a problem with it.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes TheDoctorPhil's post