Do people go overboard on "going to hell"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2012, 09:09 AM
RE: Do people go overboard on "going to hell"?
(03-09-2012 04:02 AM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  I can understand how it can be annoying to a point. I hardly ever say it (and right now I can't think of anytime in recent history that I have) and I just chuckle a little bit to myself when I see or hear it. I agree with AmishLatinJew... it's just a saying nowadays. I still say "oh my god" and "jesus christ" occasionally. That doesn't mean I'm under-educated or misinformed. To me it's like a reflex of saying an expletive or exclamation when something happens.

It's no different than "proper" people getting upset over people cussing. They're all just words. That being said, when someone is serious in saying that someone else is going to hell is when it is a problem. Jokingly I don't have a problem with it.

just words?

any action that you enable to exist, that is a 'loss to the common' aint good

good (actions a life can cause to exist, in choice): support life to continue.

good/bad........... easy!

heaven - hell are of mind, not some place

kind of like going into 'another dimension': just fignewtons of the imagination, that can be articulated, with 'words' (manmade creations, themselves)

hell, aint a place, but how about looking at a 'bad' as an action a life did/can cause that is selfish (loss to the common). Darwin, WON! (his actions assist mankind in comprehending a concept of living survival (evolution(s)) and hitler shared that anyone can be 'evil' in the guise of 'good'. Just like a religion can.

Then mirror the concept of self preservation into the concept of another BELIEF system. Like a belief in a system of understanding (ptolemaic/newtonian/relative; methodology of description).

Each can be a weeeeee bit off.

Good, lives (combines with others and supporting life to continue)

Bad, goes extinct. (to equlibrate, so to speak (giggle giggle))

hell aint a place and the error of false witness is a 'loss to the common'

People can cause actions to exist that mislead and them that are mislead, to me, have a right to judge, eventually, to ANY and all that send them on the wrong path.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2012, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 11:25 AM by Impulse.)
(08-08-2012 09:31 AM)elemts Wrote:  Just yesterday I was talking to someone who said that she was looking forward (and would personally kick them to hell, and beat the crap to them if she could hang them from a tree):

Obama
Congress
Business owners
Anyone doing bad things (i.e. marijuana, alcohol, or drugs)
Mormons are going to hell
Anyone not thinking like them is going to hell
X dumped my son/daughter, they're going to hell! (yeah, X is a teenager like 14, but still, HELL FOR THE EX!)

Do people not think about what hell (eternity, pain and suffering) is?

Anyway, I just keep on hearing people saying that people are going to hell here lately. Every day someone else has been condemned to hell. It makes me want to scream... I literally had to smile while biting my tongue to prevent myself from saying something even as I wanted to say "it's a scam, there is no hell or heaven, it's a way for the church to take your money--you know, the same minister who shows up to the old people's homes the day they get their govt checks to 'help' them calculate their 10-15% tithe? yeah, they just want your money, they don't care if you never show up" (sadly, the part about the minister is true, he shows up and does "help" them calculate how much money to give to him--he even brings a drawing from children as a gift so they feel compelled to give back to him).
The term "hell" is used in multiple ways. There are those that say it without any thought to it's meaning at all ("go to hell", for example, usually means something more like "get lost, jerk" or "the hell with it" really means "forget it"). Then there are those who truly want something bad to happen to someone that they despise, but they haven't really thought about the extreme that hell is. Maybe someone in a relationship breakup saying "I hope you rot in hell" might fit into this category. And then there are those who probably know exactly what hell is and mean exactly that in what they say - maybe in reference to a serial killer or someone equally abhorrent. Given that the first 2 are probably more common, yes the term is overused.

But, in my opinion, the worst example of people not thinking about how horrific hell is comes from religious people who believe that their all-loving god could really create such a place and allow it to continue to exist.

(Edited to correct a minor grammatical error.)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
05-09-2012, 01:20 AM
(04-09-2012 10:47 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 09:31 AM)elemts Wrote:  Just yesterday I was talking to someone who said that she was looking forward (and would personally kick them to hell, and beat the crap to them if she could hang them from a tree):

Obama
Congress
Business owners
X dumped my son/daughter, they're going to hell! (yeah, X is a teenager like 14, but still, HELL FOR THE EX!)

Anyway, I just keep on hearing people saying that people are going to hell here lately. Every day someone else has been condemned to hell. It makes me want to scream... I literally had to smile while biting my tongue to prevent myself from saying something even as I wanted to say "it's a scam, there is no hell or heaven, it's a way for the church to take your money--you know, the same minister who shows up to the old people's homes the day they get their govt checks to 'help' them calculate their 10-15% tithe? yeah, they just want your money, they don't care if you never show up" (sadly, the part about the minister is true, he shows up and does "help" them calculate how much money to give to him--he even brings a drawing from children as a gift so they feel compelled to give back to him).
The term "hell" is used in multiple ways. Then there are those that say it without any thought to it's meaning at all ("go to hell", for example, usually means something more like "get lost, jerk" or "the hell with it" really means "forget it"). There are those who truly want something bad to happen to someone that they despise, but they haven't really thought about the extreme that hell is. Maybe someone in a relationship breakup saying "I hope you rot in hell" might fit into this category. And then there are those who probably know exactly what hell is and mean exactly that in what they say - maybe in reference to a serial killer or someone equally abhorrent. Given that the first 2 are probably more common, yes the term is overused.

But, in my opinion, the worst example of people not thinking about how horrific hell is comes from religious people who believe that their all-loving god could really create such a place and allow it to continue to exist.

This may sound cold, but I have thought deeply about the concept of Hell, and I very much want my ex to go there...but, that's me xD

In any case, Hell is just another reference for most of society. Sometimes it's humorous, sometimes it's profane, sometimes it's simply a colloquialism. The only time I take issue with the concept is when a christian tells me that their "loving" and "just" god sends people to Hell as a "fitting" punishment for sin. In this case, I use one of 3 responses to them (depending on the context):

1) "Tell me; would you think it 'just' to literally set your own child on fire for disobeying your command to not steal cookies from the cookie jar? I wouldn't imagine so. And the reason you wouldn't is meerely because of your pety, insignificant sense of what is truly 'just' - the very same sense that you believe your God instilled within us. With that being the case, just imagine how much greater your God's sense of true justice is. What's more, imagine his love. It would be infinitely greater than the love you have for your disobedient child. For this reason, if your God is both all-loving and just, Hell cannot and would not exist."

2) [When I'm told I'll go to Hell] "You mean along with Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennet, Harris, Hawking, Savage, Hyneman, Twain, Brando, Gervais, Carlin, Izzard, Bruce Lee, Lennon, Macfarlane, Nicholson, Zappa, Angelina Jolie, Wilder, Edison, Penn & Teller, Edgar Allan Poe, Shatner, and all of the other bad-ass atheists history has ever known?

Fuck Heaven, I'm going where the party is!!!"

3) "Burning alive and being raped by demons for hours upon days upon weeks upon months upon years upon decades upon centuries upon millenia and into eternity for making a few very Human mistakes in my dreadfully, unspeakably short lifetime? ...Sounds kinky."

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
05-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Hell is a made-up bed-time story, a Doctrine of Terror, invented by the early Church to scare suckers into doing what they were told. On an older thread I posted a section from my book that covers the origins.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid125789

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Considering back in the day what you would go to hell for I think today you get off pretty light.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-09-2012, 09:12 PM

Obama
Congress
Business owners

ok lets talk about money..do you bother asking the stripper,or the dope dealer or the gambling hall what they are doing with your money or the hooker on the street ,i know her or his job really sucks,,,lol but your asking are they putting it to good use is out of the question..i must say all pastors is not for the right reasons.for we all have sin and non is perfect but the father ( GOD) the money is to amplify the growth of his word and city state & the world.. its in giving for the saving of man kind...oh im not from a special fourm im coming stright for your salvation..
07-09-2012, 08:19 AM
(05-09-2012 09:12 PM)Sinners Prayer Wrote:  for we all have sin [...]
No. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
07-09-2012, 09:38 AM
(05-09-2012 09:12 PM)Sinners Prayer Wrote:  

Obama
Congress
Business owners

ok lets talk about money..do you bother asking the stripper,or the dope dealer or the gambling hall what they are doing with your money or the hooker on the street ,i know her or his job really sucks,,,lol but your asking are they putting it to good use is out of the question..i must say all pastors is not for the right reasons.for we all have sin and non is perfect but the father ( GOD) the money is to amplify the growth of his word and city state & the world.. its in giving for the saving of man kind...oh im not from a special fourm im coming stright for your salvation..
It's interesting that you think an omnipotent being would need (or even just decide to use) money to "amplify the growth of his word". See, this is one of the many things about the concept of God that doesn't sit right with me. God could easily spread his own word by showing himself visibly to every person in such a way that no one would doubt his existence. Yet he doesn't. So that leaves me to assume, if God exists (and I don't believe he does), then he really doesn't want to amplify his word at all. But, of course, that contradicts the whole idea that we must believe in him.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair