Do religious people ever just weird you out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Do religious people ever just weird you out?
You know, sometimes you just read something from these people and you just...shiver.

I'm not even talking about really awful stuff like the people who want to kill homosexuals, a lot of them are completely harmless, it's just the sheer level of delusion makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes.

Like, those people who discuss that the rapture is so totally going to happen this week, every week, and they do this as casually as discussing the weather. Again, it's not so much that what they're talking about is awful, it's just...so freakin' delusional. It's like watching communities speculate on which tree being cut down will summon the Lorax. It hits just the right mix of "WHY!?" "WHAT!?", and "What's wrong with you!?" that you're not sure whether you should be pitying them or angry at them. You feel this sense of just being defeated just from knowing that there are people with such a poor understanding of reality on the same planet as you.

Undecided

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like CleverUsername's post
18-08-2015, 06:34 PM
RE: Do religious people ever just weird you out?
I don't know if it's quite the religoiusness or what it is but I've had it.

There was once one lady that came to my work asking for boxes to pack things and she stated why she needed them using the phrase, "My Daddy went to heaven." This was a grown woman in her 30s or 40s saying this.

That gave me the shivers and it was a bit surprising to a friend of mine that I recognized her around again a few months later but because of how strange that interaction was I clearly remembered her.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Several times a day.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
18-08-2015, 06:42 PM
I know a lot of fundamentalists, and I'd argue that their delusions actually are more scary than bad. So many are convinced that various end-time prophecies apply now, and that somehow they may be able to help these prophecies occur. Also, many have the view that since the Rapture is bound to happen soon, it doesn't matter how much they pollute the environment, since God's gonna fix it after sending all of the nonbelievers to eternal torment. It sucks that they don't even think of changing their view, even when I point out that people have been expecting the end times for, literally, millennia.

I feel even more creeped out when I learn about the beliefs of even more out-there religions (to me) like Mormonism and Scientology, or when I see, as on a recent trip to Salem, MA, a town where every other storefront is selling magic wands, candles and powders. It seems that so many people prefer to live in a world of fiction. It wouldn't matter much, but some of those fictions harm the world I have to share with them.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
18-08-2015, 06:56 PM
(18-08-2015 06:42 PM)julep Wrote:  I feel even more creeped out when I learn about the beliefs of even more out-there religions (to me) like Mormonism and Scientology, or when I see, as on a recent trip to Salem, MA, a town where every other storefront is selling magic wands, candles and powders.

I have no doubt there are a lot of people there who believe in such things but a big part of that in Salem is just to get money out of the tourists. It is kind of a non-stop Halloween and many people are just having fun with it.

In some ways it is disrespectful to the victims but I'd rather have people laughing too much at the idea of witchcraft than taking it seriously.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
18-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Sometimes religious people weird me out, sure. Some of you crazy atheists weird me out too, though, so they don't have the monopoly on that. I'm sure I weird some of you out too.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
18-08-2015, 07:18 PM
(18-08-2015 07:15 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Sometimes religious people weird me out, sure. Some of you crazy atheists weird me out too, though, so they don't have the monopoly on that. I'm sure I weird some of you out too.

Naaahhhh!
18-08-2015, 07:21 PM
(18-08-2015 06:56 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 06:42 PM)julep Wrote:  I feel even more creeped out when I learn about the beliefs of even more out-there religions (to me) like Mormonism and Scientology, or when I see, as on a recent trip to Salem, MA, a town where every other storefront is selling magic wands, candles and powders.

I have no doubt there are a lot of people there who believe in such things but a big part of that in Salem is just to get money out of the tourists. It is kind of a non-stop Halloween and many people are just having fun with it.

In some ways it is disrespectful to the victims but I'd rather have people laughing too much at the idea of witchcraft than taking it seriously.

I made the comment because I used to spend a fair amount of time in Salem (my FIL lived in Marblehead, which is near there) and there were always some witchy things there, there was a witch museum and the Salem Witch. We visited a couple of weeks ago after an absence of about five years and the amount of stores with witchy stuff had increased literally ten-fold since our previous visit, maybe about five or six years before. There used to be a lot of maritime and Nathaniel Hawthorne and Colonial stuff there, along with a bunch of witch stuff, and now it feels as though the witches and Harry Potter stores have taken over completely.

The dispiriting thing is that there are so many stores where the witch stuff is actually taken seriously. There is a teeny bit of Salem Witch Trial stuff overwhelmed by a whole bunch of psychic readers and buy-these-candles-and-burn-them-if-you-want-to-get-a-better-job shit.
18-08-2015, 07:35 PM
(18-08-2015 06:28 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  You know, sometimes you just read something from these people and you just...shiver.

I'm not even talking about really awful stuff like the people who want to kill homosexuals, a lot of them are completely harmless, it's just the sheer level of delusion makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes.

Like, those people who discuss that the rapture is so totally going to happen this week, every week, and they do this as casually as discussing the weather. Again, it's not so much that what they're talking about is awful, it's just...so freakin' delusional. It's like watching communities speculate on which tree being cut down will summon the Lorax. It hits just the right mix of "WHY!?" "WHAT!?", and "What's wrong with you!?" that you're not sure whether you should be pitying them or angry at them. You feel this sense of just being defeated just from knowing that there are people with such a poor understanding of reality on the same planet as you.

Undecided

Not me.

On the contrary, I weird them out. They are absolutely startled when I explain either Christian or Islamic theology to them ... as an atheist.

They do not understand how atheists can know more about their religion than they know themselves.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
18-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Considering that I was once religious, that would be a no. lol

Some do, the evangelical types do more so than say Catholics. I find that they are more fake than anything else, many of them. Some of course are genuinely good people...but, 'bless her heart' in a fake southern accent, and all that bullshit...I just don't like that. No

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post