Do religious people ever just weird you out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 07:51 PM
RE: Do religious people ever just weird you out?
I used to be a Jesus freak--so no, they don't weird me out. However, now that I am out, I can't believe I believed half the shit I did.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-08-2015, 08:11 PM
(18-08-2015 07:48 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Considering that I was once religious, that would be a no. lol

Some do, the evangelical types do more so than say Catholics. I find that they are more fake than anything else, many of them. Some of course are genuinely good people...but, 'bless her heart' in a fake southern accent, and all that bullshit...I just don't like that. No

It's worse in a real southern accent.

I'm mostly weirded out by the fact that they're so willing to hate things they just don't understand, don't want to understand, and prefer not to understand... yet are willing to bash... sometimes literally/physically.

http://lexiecannes.com/2015/08/16/transg...n-detroit/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-08-2015, 08:32 PM
(18-08-2015 08:11 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 07:48 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Considering that I was once religious, that would be a no. lol

Some do, the evangelical types do more so than say Catholics. I find that they are more fake than anything else, many of them. Some of course are genuinely good people...but, 'bless her heart' in a fake southern accent, and all that bullshit...I just don't like that. No

It's worse in a real southern accent.

I'm mostly weirded out by the fact that they're so willing to hate things they just don't understand, don't want to understand, and prefer not to understand... yet are willing to bash... sometimes literally/physically.

http://lexiecannes.com/2015/08/16/transg...n-detroit/

in a real accent as well. lol

that link...that saddens me so much. Sad

Be true to yourself. Heart
18-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Even though I used to be a devout evangelical, I still do get freaked out from time to time from Christian's in my area. For example, there is some crazy person whose property I pass on my way to work, and he has fire and brimstone/end is nigh bible verses scrabbled all over his house, written on makeshift signs, on makeshift crosses, etc. I have yet to see this person, but I'm pretty sure he'd fit the stereotype...

Also, I still get generally wierded out by seeing the outwards effects of the indoctrination of my college friends (I attend an evangelical college, long story...). Although I think that I get more wierded out by being reminded how messed up my thinking used to be, then just from how they are acting now.
[+] 1 user Likes Cozzymodo's post
18-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Yes, that link is appalling. It's why I recalled it the moment we got to talking about why Christians (and their culture) creep me out. A lot of the recent thread about "why be moral if no God" reminded me of it-- I'm not sure which would be worse, them taking moral guidance from a psychopathic, bigoted Bronze-Age Blood God, or taking none at all. They horrify me, and often creep me out when they forget I'm in the room.

I don't get it. I was born in south Texas, moved to southeast Georgia at age 4, WVa at 11, Texas again at 14, Louisiana at 15-18, and have lived as an adult in only two non-southern states (year of college in Colorado and a winter spent in St.Paul, MN). I am now in southeast Missouri, and lived before that near Topeka/KC, Kansas. I'm about as Suuuuthern as a man can get. And yet, I'm an atheist, I don't fear LGBTQ people, and I'm not even a little bit jingoistic except in that I think the unfulfilled promise of this country as a Constitutional Republic based on individual rights and the consent of the governed would be lovely to see fulfilled, someday. According to conventional wisdom, I should not exist. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Ha! I don't think I should exist either Consider

The prayer warriors and "praise the Lord" yelling crowd creeps me out all the time. I just don't get them at all....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-08-2015, 09:08 PM
This thread is going to get existential pretty quick is everyone starts talking about how none of us should exist...
[+] 1 user Likes Cozzymodo's post
18-08-2015, 09:23 PM
I think what scares me the most is how most of them can apply logic and reason to all other aspects of their life...unless it treads on their religious ideologies.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
18-08-2015, 09:25 PM
I get extremely nervous around mormons, especially when they talk to me and ask that question. They are the creepiest mother fuckers on the planet and just SCREAM of CULT Brainwashing!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
18-08-2015, 09:32 PM
(18-08-2015 06:28 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  You know, sometimes you just read something from these people and you just...shiver.

I'm not even talking about really awful stuff like the people who want to kill homosexuals, a lot of them are completely harmless, it's just the sheer level of delusion makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes.

Yeah, it's not some much a shiver as a tremble.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus