Do religious people ever just weird you out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 09:37 PM
RE: Do religious people ever just weird you out?
(18-08-2015 09:25 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I get extremely nervous around mormons, especially when they talk to me and ask that question. They are the creepiest mother fuckers on the planet and just SCREAM of CULT Brainwashing!

Girly knows how to give them bigass hugs which preempt any silly spurious dialog.

[Image: bearhugs.jpg]

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Mostly, no. The creeps with the "have a blessed day" stuff, well yeah, they strike me as drones.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-08-2015, 10:29 PM
A proselytizer of any faith makes me uncomfortable, but really it's the evangelical Christians who absolutely make my skin crawl.

I was not raised Christian and most people that I grew up around were either from my own culture, or were secular Christians. When I was a teenager I took a trip to America’s bible belt and met people from the Fundamentalist, Independent Baptist Church movement. They invited me to church and they offered to teach me about Jesus! They were terrifying! They told me that there were dinosaurs on the arc with Noah.

It was a massive culture shock for me. I found these folks to be so disingenuous and really obtuse about the world around them. I’d seen characters like this on TV and in movies, but I thought those depictions were just gross exaggerations of religious Christians. I never knew these types of people actually existed.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
18-08-2015, 11:22 PM
They exist.

Exist.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-08-2015, 01:18 AM
Since I heard from fellow student that evolution is false cause humans don't have 6 fingers on each hand - for computer use - it takes a lot of religious idiocy to make me feel strange.

Though when I hear some of politicians in my country I wonder if they are really so brainwashed, stupid and generally waste of space or this is their way of talking to even more stupid voters.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-08-2015, 04:39 AM
Yeah, like LARPers. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-08-2015, 06:20 AM
(18-08-2015 09:23 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I think what scares me the most is how most of them can apply logic and reason to all other aspects of their life...unless it treads on their religious ideologies.

Yeah, this. My brother in law is a fairly intelligent human being, except when it comes to the age of the Earth... It's always confused the hell out of me that we can have a really great conversation about the physics of black holes, the newest cool tech, etc... but the moment biological evolution or the age of the universe comes up, he turns into a drooling idiot. We went to the Air and Space Museum in DC and we talked to an astronomer about pulsars and he had no problem. Then we went to the Natural History Museum and he got into an argument with a resident archaeologist about dating methods.... Hobo Hobo Hobo

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
19-08-2015, 06:50 AM
(19-08-2015 06:20 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:23 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I think what scares me the most is how most of them can apply logic and reason to all other aspects of their life...unless it treads on their religious ideologies.

Yeah, this. My brother in law is a fairly intelligent human being, except when it comes to the age of the Earth... It's always confused the hell out of me that we can have a really great conversation about the physics of black holes, the newest cool tech, etc... but the moment biological evolution or the age of the universe comes up, he turns into a drooling idiot. We went to the Air and Space Museum in DC and we talked to an astronomer about pulsars and he had no problem. Then we went to the Natural History Museum and he got into an argument with a resident archaeologist about dating methods.... Hobo Hobo Hobo

But come on now, you were at the Natural History Museum. That archaeologist was definitely part of the global evolution/atheism conspiracy to deceive the masses. I mean, why else would he be there, because he has a passion for archaeology and teaching? Facepalm

But seriously, I've had similar situations happen when talking with students at the evangelical college I'm still attending. I've always been astounded at how quickly they change from a rational human being to a brainwashed religionist. It's like they have mental trip wires set up in their mind around their religious beliefs or something. Once they get tripped, its game time...
[+] 3 users Like Cozzymodo's post
19-08-2015, 07:36 AM
(19-08-2015 06:50 AM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 06:20 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Yeah, this. My brother in law is a fairly intelligent human being, except when it comes to the age of the Earth... It's always confused the hell out of me that we can have a really great conversation about the physics of black holes, the newest cool tech, etc... but the moment biological evolution or the age of the universe comes up, he turns into a drooling idiot. We went to the Air and Space Museum in DC and we talked to an astronomer about pulsars and he had no problem. Then we went to the Natural History Museum and he got into an argument with a resident archaeologist about dating methods.... Hobo Hobo Hobo

But come on now, you were at the Natural History Museum. That archaeologist was definitely part of the global evolution/atheism conspiracy to deceive the masses. I mean, why else would he be there, because he has a passion for archaeology and teaching? Facepalm

But seriously, I've had similar situations happen when talking with students at the evangelical college I'm still attending. I've always been astounded at how quickly they change from a rational human being to a brainwashed religionist. It's like they have mental trip wires set up in their mind around their religious beliefs or something. Once they get tripped, its game time...

First. Hug

I'm so sorry you are stuck at an evangelical college. My sister and BiL went to Bob Jones University. Even though I was still religious when they started attending, that place creeped me the fuck out.

Second. It's actually a little impressive how their brains manage to hold mutually exclusive ideas and the cognitive dissonance doesn't simply shut their brain down. Seriously, how can you understand how black holes work, but still think they're all 6000 years old... Consider

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
19-08-2015, 07:51 AM
(19-08-2015 07:36 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 06:50 AM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  But come on now, you were at the Natural History Museum. That archaeologist was definitely part of the global evolution/atheism conspiracy to deceive the masses. I mean, why else would he be there, because he has a passion for archaeology and teaching? Facepalm

First. Hug

I'm so sorry you are stuck at an evangelical college. My sister and BiL went to Bob Jones University. Even though I was still religious when they started attending, that place creeped me the fuck out.

Second. It's actually a little impressive how their brains manage to hold mutually exclusive ideas and the cognitive dissonance doesn't simply shut their brain down. Seriously, how can you understand how black holes work, but still think they're all 6000 years old... Consider

Ya... fortunately I've just got a year to go, not really any point in trying to transfer out now.

And I'd have to agree with you there. Looking back into my deconversion experience, I definitely had a period of some serious cognitive dissonance as I tried to make what I was just then learning about science and biblical contradictions work with my dwindling faith. I couldn't imagine how I could have been able to continually accept both sides to some extent without it driving me mad.