Poll: Would a sex scandal deter your from voting for the offending candidate? (Referring to legal and consenual sex)
Yes
No
Depends/Unsure/Other
[Show Results]

Do sex scandals really mean anything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Do sex scandals really mean anything?
With the recent Weiner and Spitzer news that seems to never die, I had this thought in my mind and didn't know what you all thought. FYI: this is my first post in the politics section so I'm not sure if I'm walking into a cult-like subreddit atmosphere Big Grin

Do sex scandals really matter when your vote comes up?

If you are in New York for example, is the recent Weiner news going to stop you from voting for him? Is it black and white? Should a person's sex life, even if it's exposed, should it be a factor in your vote.

I know some people who are very secular who still say that if a person can't be faithful to his/her spouse, why should I trust them with a government postional authority/responsibility over me? I find this a true enough statement, but for me, if Person A has better policies than People B through E, and Person A had cheated on his wife mid-campaign, I would chalk that up to basic human error and desire of physical attraction and attention that is basic to our species. So I'd probably still vote Person A.

But anyways, I'm just curious what you all think on this issue and maybe even if Bill Clinton's scandal had happened in this day and age, would the calls for impeachment been so resounding?

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2013, 11:30 AM
RE: Do sex scandals really mean anything?
As long as not kids are involved, I don't really care.

I think some people are really bothered by affairs of potential "leaders" because it does show that they don't take their promises (ie marriage vows) seriously. That's pretty simplistic but I think it comes down to being an indicator of integrity for many.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
29-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Only if it BETRAYS THE LAW

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
29-07-2013, 11:43 AM
1. If it's something between consenting adults (no sexual harassment), then it doesn't matter.
2. If the politician or public figure isn't hypocritical - decreeing anything sexual in public but doing the opposite in private, then it doesn't matter.

It's just that simple.
[+] 3 users Like PoolBoyG's post
29-07-2013, 11:47 AM
As long as Anj and PoolboyG's criteria are met I don't care what they've done.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
29-07-2013, 12:12 PM
What a politician does with his personal time isn't relevant to me because I can't think of a legal sex scandal that would show him to be unfit for office.

If you support anti-gay legislation and vote for a congressman who ends up having a gay affair, then he can't be trusted. But if you are voting for a pro gay-rights candidate and he has sex with women, it doesn't matter. If you vote for a pro-traditional marriage candidate who cheats on his wife, he is not trustworthy. But if you vote for a candidate who believes in personal freedom in such matters but still has a traditional monogamous relationship, it doesn't matter. If you're on the personal freedom side, sex scandals just don't matter as far as policy goes.

A scandal involving cheating on a spouse without their consent does show someone to be an ass, but it does not by any means affect their policy (and policy is really the only reason to vote for someone).

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
29-07-2013, 12:28 PM
One could attempt to make an argument from 'risk of being blackmailed' but this is as much a bullshit argument as the 'gateway drug' argument....and after it's been exposed???

One could attempt to argue the point of honesty....but if you are looking into someones personal life for no good reason you should expect dishonesty.

Truth of the matter is sex scandals are simply the culmination of our cult of celebrity and puritanical values rearing their ugly heads in a world where they don't belong.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah they do. It means they lack a sense of judgement for what is or is not appropriate in human interaction situations, which is basic for a job like that. I don't really care about the (supposed) "evil" of the acts themselves, but it means they lack judgment, and basic honesty, and judgement is necessary in times of crisis. There's something fundamentally important missing in their judgement process. If they lie, it means they're liars. The public can expect better than that when they hire someone. On a day-to-day basis, no, it probably doesn't mean much, (except the slime ball in San Diego as an old man, is a serious douche bag, and he's got to go, like yesterday, as he preyed on MANY vulnerable women, using his position of power to do so). Weiner is an habitual liar. I don't care what he did, but he lied a lot about what he did, repeatedly. Why would anyone trust him ? He needs to make all-gone with himself, from the public sphere, for good. I'm on the fence with Spitzer. I think his prior record speaks well of him. I suppose that thinking one should go, and one not is inconsistent .. but I never thought Spitzer should have gone in the first place, so I wouldn't care if he came back. He could be doing nothing, living off the family cash. At least he wants to contribute, and he did a lot in NY as Attorney General. Maybe Weiner did also, but I never heard about it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Politicians who don't cheat on their spouses but lie to voters and do an about-face on their policies upon election are a dime a dozen. Parliaments everywhere are full of them. Sex scandals do show bad character and a lack of judgement, but I'd still vote for the candidate if he proves reliable at work, where his reliability matters most to me as a voter.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
29-07-2013, 04:51 PM
In the first instance he got caught out and tried to deny it, then later admitted it.

After being exposed he then went on to do it again which meant that he didn't learn his lessons the first time around.

If I had kids and I had to use a childminder to look after and care for them whilst I was at work, I wouldn't entrust them to someone who had a past history of lying and deception, especially to their loved ones (in the case of weiner, his wife) no matter how good their childminding credentials/political manifestos were. I would look to somebody else.

That's if I ever thought that voting actually achieves anything and I actually went and put a useless X in a box Drinking Beverage

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.