Do some americans lump farmers and redneck together

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Do some americans lump farmers and redneck together
Because farmers are cool. I used to work for one who was really helpful and nice.

But i don't think one should judge a group who is not like you, and be called stupid though, i mean it might be rude to lump people into a hate wagon. Even though some might be loud i guess.

And sorry if i might generalize americans a little bit with this thread, not meaning to generalize all american citizens, i just hear that stuff from USA so that's why i'm asking.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...710AARORe1
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2014, 02:56 PM
RE: Do some americans lump farmers and redneck together
I always thought rednecks were different. Set apart by attitude rather than profession.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

27-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Agreed, moms. But that's just it, attitude is everything. You can be a redneck and an outstanding human being, it just depends on what you stand for. Hell, look at our current admin... Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-09-2014, 03:19 PM
(27-09-2014 03:12 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Agreed, moms. But that's just it, attitude is everything. You can be a redneck and an outstanding human being, it just depends on what you stand for. Hell, look at our current admin... Tongue

Yabbut our Admin is a Hillbilly NOT a redneck.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-09-2014, 03:24 PM
(27-09-2014 03:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yabbut our Admin is a Hillbilly NOT a redneck.

Potato tomato. Angel

Okay, maybe our ex admin?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-09-2014, 03:36 PM
[Image: 400_F_17468581_tlC6zOrBUoMFZCe51PG1diAgdid2WIsG_PXP.jpg]

Depends on the farmer.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
27-09-2014, 03:53 PM
In my experience, "redneck" is a general term, whereas "farmer" is merely a profession/way of life. Living out here in the country, I see a lot of people who are similar, but different, and so I've kind of made it a form of personal entertainment to classify them. Some people are rednecks; some people are simply "country," and yet others possess qualities of both. The differences need to be explained.

Country: Well-groomed. Speaks with a southern (or "suth'n") accent. Probably works on a farm, or deals farm-type equipment like tractors, fences, feed, etc. If neither of these applies, then he definitely has close connections with someone who works on/owns a farm. Drives a late-model, large-bed Dodge, Chevy or Ford pickup truck regardless of whether or not he works on/owns a farm. Thinks a mass of deer antlers makes for a nice-looking chandelier. Very likely has a fireplace in his home. Much of his house bears a hard-wood finish and always smells warmly of fresh pie and/or venison. His wife is always super nice and calls you "darlin'" at all times. Is a conservative, God-fearing individual. Typically smells of cigar smoke.

Redneck: Heavy southern accent. Owns several woodland camo baseball caps with various firearm/farm equipment/angler logos printed on them; each fitted with a golden fishing hook on the brim. In fact, most articles of clothing are woodland camo. Wears beat-up shoes/work boots - always muddy. Drives an old, poorly-painted Ford or Chevy pickup truck complete with widened muffler, rust holes in the body and Fox Racing/No Fear sticker in the back window. ("Don't Tread On Me" license plate is optional) Greatly enjoys "mudding," Budweiser and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Loves "Gawd," and will aggressively defend his religious upbringing. Any unkind or negative words regarding his truck, girlfriend or family will be met with threats of violence - typically by firearm. Reeks of cigarettes and usually has a mushy chunk of tobacco in the corner of his mouth.

Of course, some people embody both of these individuals. Perhaps they enjoy a case of Budweiser and a pack of smokes in the comfort of their well-furnished, country home. Perhaps, like a friend of mine, they always wear a camo ballcap with the "Remington" logo and fish hook, but otherwise dress very neatly and couldn't be bothered with "mudding."

Either way, being a farmer is not a necessary part of the package. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
27-09-2014, 04:03 PM
(27-09-2014 03:53 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  In my experience, "redneck" is a general term, whereas "farmer" is merely a profession/way of life. Living out here in the country, I see a lot of people who are similar, but different, and so I've kind of made it a form of personal entertainment to classify them. Some people are rednecks; some people are simply "country," and yet others possess qualities of both. The differences need to be explained.

Country: Well-groomed. Speaks with a southern (or "suth'n") accent. Probably works on a farm, or deals farm-type equipment like tractors, fences, feed, etc. If neither of these applies, then he definitely has close connections with someone who works on/owns a farm. Drives a late-model, large-bed Dodge, Chevy or Ford pickup truck regardless of whether or not he works on/owns a farm. Thinks a mass of deer antlers makes for a nice-looking chandelier. Very likely has a fireplace in his home. Much of his house bears a hard-wood finish and always smells warmly of fresh pie and/or venison. His wife is always super nice and calls you "darlin'" at all times. Is a conservative, God-fearing individual. Typically smells of cigar smoke.

Redneck: Heavy southern accent. Owns several woodland camo baseball caps with various firearm/farm equipment/angler logos printed on them; each fitted with a golden fishing hook on the brim. In fact, most articles of clothing are woodland camo. Wears beat-up shoes/work boots - always muddy. Drives an old, poorly-painted Ford or Chevy pickup truck complete with widened muffler, rust holes in the body and Fox Racing/No Fear sticker in the back window. ("Don't Tread On Me" license plate is optional) Greatly enjoys "mudding," Budweiser and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Loves "Gawd," and will aggressively defend his religious upbringing. Any unkind or negative words regarding his truck, girlfriend or family will be met with threats of violence - typically by firearm. Reeks of cigarettes and usually has a mushy chunk of tobacco in the corner of his mouth.

Of course, some people embody both of these individuals. Perhaps they enjoy a case of Budweiser and a pack of smokes in the comfort of their well-furnished, country home. Perhaps, like a friend of mine, they always wear a camo ballcap with the "Remington" logo and fish hook, but otherwise dress very neatly and couldn't be bothered with "mudding."

Either way, being a farmer is not a necessary part of the package. Wink

Interesting comparison. But i feel its a little wrong to lump people like that in my opinion. It'll be like lumping poor and rich people on their values. I just don't see how it will help.
[+] 1 user Likes ZeroX3's post
27-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Where I grew up the farmers were rednecks and those that lived in town weren't.

We were so urban in those towns with populations under 3,500. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-09-2014, 04:23 PM
(27-09-2014 04:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We were so urban in those towns with populations under 3,500. Dodgy

You just reminded me of this obnoxious guy in one of my college classes who kept talking about coming from "the city" (meaning Grand Rapids, MI) like he was so much cooler than rest of us.

The professor shut him down by pointing out that where he comes from "The City" means "Manhattan." Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson