Do some americans lump farmers and redneck together

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2014, 04:27 PM
RE: Do some americans lump farmers and redneck together
(27-09-2014 04:23 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 04:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We were so urban in those towns with populations under 3,500. Dodgy

You just reminded me of this obnoxious guy in one of my college classes who kept talking about coming from "the city" (meaning Grand Rapids, MI) like he was so much cooler than rest of us.

The professor shut him down by pointing out that where he comes from "The City" means "Manhattan." Thumbsup

I grew up in the 'BIG TOWN', the ones around us had population counts that didn't require a comma.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2014, 05:19 PM
(27-09-2014 04:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 04:23 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  You just reminded me of this obnoxious guy in one of my college classes who kept talking about coming from "the city" (meaning Grand Rapids, MI) like he was so much cooler than rest of us.

The professor shut him down by pointing out that where he comes from "The City" means "Manhattan." Thumbsup

I grew up in the 'BIG TOWN', the ones around us had population counts that didn't require a comma.

People around here don't know what a comma is. They aspire to be rednecks.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
27-09-2014, 05:29 PM
A comma is what happens when a mule kicks them in the head and they can't wake up.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
27-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Farming is a profession.

Redneck is a life-style.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-09-2014, 07:20 AM
So its a mental state which people lump southern US citizens into Confused

Y'all behave now Shy
28-09-2014, 11:04 AM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-09-2014, 11:08 AM
*Fun Fact*

The Term Redneck came from the west virginian Coal miners who were trying to unionise. The would wear red bandanas to show their allegiance to unionization. It was originated as a slur (much like Yankee was a slur during the revolutionary war) but was taken up as a mark of honor.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
28-09-2014, 09:20 PM
(28-09-2014 11:08 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  *Fun Fact*

The Term Redneck came from the west virginian Coal miners who were trying to unionise. The would wear red bandanas to show their allegiance to unionization. It was originated as a slur (much like Yankee was a slur during the revolutionary war) but was taken up as a mark of honor.

Interesting. I'd always assumed it referred to the sunburned neck a white person acquires while stooped over working the field.

This is how I view the different terminology:

I've always used the term country to describe people that know their way around the farm and woods and are well mannered. If they drink, it's bourbon, Jack Daniels, Miller Light, or Bud Light.

Redneck and hillbilly are derogatory terms meaning "white trash", just more specific and sounds less harsh.

A redneck lacks certain social graces i.e. Their momma didn't give 'em no raisin'. Probably drinks Natty Light. Wardrobe is mostly woodland camo, women will additionally have pink camo. Wear rebel flag tshirts, probably have stars and bars tattoos.

A hillbilly lives in Appalachia and likely makes moonshine. More likely than a redneck to have a family tree with no branches.

[Image: 112f3c1188c03499b08e6f6206ef6a9a.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
29-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Re: Do some americans lump farmers and redneck together
Never heard the idea of farmers and rednecks being synonymous.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson