Do the Math

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2015, 03:00 PM
RE: Do the Math
If we follow your logic, Islam will also take over Europe.... so there might be something faulty to it or we here are screwd..

I dont mind, genocide is almoust a tradition here.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2015, 06:02 AM
(12-09-2015 07:47 PM)f stop Wrote:  According to the The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism 1% of Americans openly identified as atheists in 2005. By 2012 the number had grown to 5%. If this growth continues at an exponential rate, 23% per year, America will be 50% atheist by 2024.

From my understanding, the most aggressive analysis on the poll data has the developed world being more than 50% non-religious* around 2040, give or take a bit. It might be pertaining to the entire world, but I'm not sure about that. I know that, currently, religion is actually rising world wide because it's rising faster in the undeveloped world than it is shrinking in the non-developed world.

*Note that this figure is all people who don't identify with any particular religion, and not people who identify as atheist or agnostic. That number is typically around 20% of the "non-religious" number. Also, note that a significant number of this larger group still admits to praying some of the time and believing that "something might be out there".

(12-09-2015 11:50 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  The problem is bigger than that. You can't do any meaningful regression out of two data points, since the standard deviation (i.e. of expected value of Y given X) is undefined for two data points. You can find a linear, exponential, logistical, sinusoidal, etc. and every regression will give you a solution that goes through two points because there's only two of them.

Exactly. For all we know, it's logarithmic, and has already begun petering out.
14-09-2015, 01:38 PM
(12-09-2015 08:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  I always wonder if these types of polls take into account (or try to) the the people who hide their atheism.
Often, atheists don't know that they are atheists. They don't even know what the word means.
They might instead call themselves agnostic, but often people don't know what that means so,
They might call themselves no religious or not affiliated to a religion.

The poll ought to ask people do you believe in the existence of god or gods? (Y/N)

Anyway, religion is disappearing from many parts of the educated world. Religion is a disease and education is the cure.
Many parts of USA are resistant to education.
But it will happen.