Do unto others...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Do unto others...
People have said time and time again 'do to others what you'll have them do to you.'
Treat others how you want to be treated or however you want to put it.
But is this idea really good. I asked jokingly in another thread somewhere around here "what if I want to be kicked in the nuts?"
So what if I like pain or I like people to cut me? What if I want to die and I prefer if someone would kill me? Should I treat others how I want to be treated?
Is the philosophy not flawed?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2014, 11:08 AM
RE: Do unto others...
Most people don't like those things done to them. You could always ask before you do unto.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-08-2014, 11:09 AM
(09-08-2014 11:04 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  People have said time and time again 'do to others what you'll have them do to you.'
But is this idea really good. I asked jokingly in another thread somewhere around here "what if I want to be kicked in the nuts?"
So what if I like pain or I like people to cut me? What if I want to die and I prefer if someone would kill me? Should I treat others how I want to be treated?

It is reliant on the norm outliers tend to disrupt that idea. A better wording (same intent) would be "Treat others as they wish to be treated"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-08-2014, 12:34 PM
(09-08-2014 11:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 11:04 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  People have said time and time again 'do to others what you'll have them do to you.'

It is reliant on the norm outliers tend to disrupt that idea. A better wording (same intent) would be "Treat others as they wish to be treated"
But what if I want people to worship me. Should I be treated how I wish to be treated.
09-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Re: Do unto others...
The problem with that golden rule, obeying it as a masochist makes you a sadist.

I've always preferred the "silver rule" don't do onto others as you don't want done onto yourself.. Which is passive and I could be accused of a quietism behavior.

But the optimal choice is what Rev said. That's considered the Platinum rule. So, we've improved maxims from the time of Confucius. Time to celebrate.

As there are people who wish to worship, yes.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-08-2014, 02:35 PM
I see your point, but do unto others, so long as it benefits them. Not just if I want to be treated a certain way. If I hate myself, should I hate others? It can get a little silly. lol Laugh out load

Be true to yourself. Heart
09-08-2014, 02:37 PM
(09-08-2014 02:35 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I see your point, but do unto others, so long as it benefits them. Not just if I want to be treated a certain way. If I hate myself, should I hate others? It can get a little silly. lol Laugh out load

Ultimately this is just a rule of thumb, so it will never be applicable to all people at all times. It boils down to have some empathy which in most cases is a good thing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
09-08-2014, 09:10 PM
I think what they mean, rather than what they say, is to not be an asshole. If you're an asshole don't be one, and if you're not one that's cool and keep it that way. Shy
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
09-08-2014, 11:39 PM
(09-08-2014 02:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 02:35 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I see your point, but do unto others, so long as it benefits them. Not just if I want to be treated a certain way. If I hate myself, should I hate others? It can get a little silly. lol Laugh out load

Ultimately this is just a rule of thumb, so it will never be applicable to all people at all times. It boils down to have some empathy which in most cases is a good thing.

I agree with this. Just empathy. Have some thought about what the other person might feel.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
10-08-2014, 12:25 AM
The G-Man has some words of wisdom to share every once in a while.

(09-05-2014 07:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't be a dick sums it up nicely. Where that comes from? Yeah we've been genetically engineered by evolution to be societal and communal. It's in our genes. Don't be a dick.

Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post