Do unto others...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 12:40 AM
RE: Do unto others...
I subscribe to the silver rule, not the golden rule.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Treat others as THEY wish to be treated is how I do things, works out well I find.
11-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Do unto others as they do unto you.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
11-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Matthew 25

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I don't disagree with everything the New Testament Dude said wink.png But he did say a lot of crazy shit as well. That is undeniable!
13-08-2014, 11:25 AM
I feel that the "Do unto other..." is well worn past it's prime. What we do to others can be subjective of how we view ourselves. I agree with the statement of empathy, but also an injection of respect, understanding, compassion and kindness can take us much farther than 'do unto others'. If we do to others what they have done to us, I'm afraid we will continue to remain in grade school and continue to call names and hit back (on a much escalated level of course) until we can try to understand the other perspective. Just my thoughts.

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
13-08-2014, 11:45 AM
(09-08-2014 11:04 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  People have said time and time again 'do to others what you'll have them do to you.'
Treat others how you want to be treated or however you want to put it.
But is this idea really good. I asked jokingly in another thread somewhere around here "what if I want to be kicked in the nuts?"
So what if I like pain or I like people to cut me? What if I want to die and I prefer if someone would kill me? Should I treat others how I want to be treated?
Is the philosophy not flawed?

Isnt this fallacy by accident? Since it applys to the majority but some people are exceptions since they are masochists;