Do we as atheists REALLY have any basis for morals?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-12-2014, 05:01 PM
RE: Do we as atheists REALLY have any basis for morals?
(06-12-2014 04:50 PM)tear151 Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 04:39 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Our morals are basically formed by our empathy. There's no absolute morality and there are things we can't figure out just yet.

At the end of the day, everyone acts as they wish. However, establishing a common ground with others is important for our own survival.

Do I have a personal sense of morality? Probably yes.
Do I think all people should have my morality? No.
Do I think that morality is a clear case and that any action can be inherently moral or immoral? No.

Morality is subjective, and that's where I believe the concept of amoralism falls apart.

If you reject certain morals, you still have your own moral code.
If you reject all morals, what is it that directs your actions towards others?

The problem with your argument is the same as the problem when arguing that if God isnt real what happens after I die? Imdeed, nothing guides it, I do as I please, unpleasant to you perhsps, but the world owes you no pleasantry.

You sound sociopathic with last comment.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2014, 05:04 PM
(06-12-2014 05:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 04:50 PM)tear151 Wrote:  The problem with your argument is the same as the problem when arguing that if God isnt real what happens after I die? Imdeed, nothing guides it, I do as I please, unpleasant to you perhsps, but the world owes you no pleasantry.

You sound sociopathic with last comment.

And that makes me wrong? "Your beliefs sounds like godless heathenry!" "blasphemy"

"A witty quote means nothing"
06-12-2014, 05:06 PM
(06-12-2014 04:54 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 04:50 PM)tear151 Wrote:  The problem with your argument is the same as the problem when arguing that if God isnt real what happens after I die? Imdeed, nothing guides it, I do as I please, unpleasant to you perhsps, but the world owes you no pleasantry.

Does that mean that you do whatever you want without caring about other people involved?

If you do care and simply do whatever pleases you without hurting others, then that's just your own morality.

If you don't care, then you simply lack empathy.

I have empathy, but I try to ignore it, I do what makes me happiest in the long term.

06-12-2014, 05:07 PM
(06-12-2014 05:04 PM)tear151 Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 05:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You sound sociopathic with last comment.

And that makes me wrong? "Your beliefs sounds like godless heathenry!" "blasphemy"

You haven't "gained conscious control of your empathy" if you are, you simply lack it.

Those of us who don't cannot really control it.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
06-12-2014, 05:09 PM
(06-12-2014 05:07 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 05:04 PM)tear151 Wrote:  And that makes me wrong? "Your beliefs sounds like godless heathenry!" "blasphemy"

You haven't "gained conscious control of your empathy" if you are, you simply lack it.

And? Why is empathy good?

06-12-2014, 05:11 PM
(06-12-2014 05:09 PM)tear151 Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 05:07 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  You haven't "gained conscious control of your empathy" if you are, you simply lack it.

And? Why is empathy good?

It was obviously favored by evolution so I gather if it didn't exist, we wouldn't be alive.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
06-12-2014, 05:11 PM
(06-12-2014 05:04 PM)tear151 Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 05:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You sound sociopathic with last comment.

Dangerous to others.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-12-2014, 05:13 PM
(06-12-2014 05:11 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 05:09 PM)tear151 Wrote:  And? Why is empathy good?

It was obviously favored by evolution so I gather if it didn't exist, we wouldn't be alive.

So's belief in god

06-12-2014, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2014 05:16 PM by tear151.)
(06-12-2014 05:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 05:04 PM)tear151 Wrote:  And that makes me wrong? "Your beliefs sounds like godless heathenry!" "blasphemy"

Dangerous to others.

And why is that bad? Thats a circular argument, youve basically told its immoral as a rebuttal to amoralism. Thats like telling me Dawkins is wrong because it disrespects god.

06-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Cleanup on aisle 151.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post