Do we as atheists REALLY have any basis for morals?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-12-2014, 04:04 PM
RE: Do we as atheists REALLY have any basis for morals?
(08-12-2014 03:49 PM)tear151 Wrote:  Do you have any children at all btw? I don't want to sound overly personal, but how does your amorality apply to your child/ children if you have one/them and a spouse equally? I generally haven't bothered with relationships, I've had a few but I up to now I've found myself incapable getting beyond friends...

Not trying to be rude or nosy, but, haven't you mentioned once that you are 15 years old? If so, don't you think it's a little early to worry about not getting beyond friends?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 04:05 PM
(08-12-2014 04:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 03:49 PM)tear151 Wrote:  Do you have any children at all btw? I don't want to sound overly personal, but how does your amorality apply to your child/ children if you have one/them and a spouse equally? I generally haven't bothered with relationships, I've had a few but I up to now I've found myself incapable getting beyond friends...
I have two wonderful daughters, 4 and 6.
I get them to think about consequences rather than tell them that something is good vs bad.

My 6 year old had a boy punch her in the face at school and told me about it at home. I asked her if she wants me to go to school and kill the boy.
She said "no"
I asked "Why not?"
She said "because I don't want you to go to prison."

I'd say that my girl is a thinker and she is very confident regarding making her own decisions.

I also lie to her quite a bit, generally about trivial or ridiculous things, this way she learns not to trust everything people say. She makes assessments as to whether it is likely true or lie. Pretty great for a 6 year old I think. But then again I am her doting dad, I would think that about her.

I think my parenting style will be tested more when she gets older. I've got to say, it is really difficult to know as a parent what approach to take with kids. Probably won't see the results until years later and by then it would be too late to change my style. I'm sure many parents hold self guilt about not knowing the best approach with guiding the kids.

On the bright side raising an egoist child doesnt leave much room for teenage rebellion Tongue

"screw you dad im just going to obey you and stop thinkimg for myself, im going to go out and act morally"

"A witty quote means nothing"
08-12-2014, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 04:10 PM by tear151.)
(08-12-2014 04:04 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  

Not trying to be rude or nosy, but, haven't you mentioned once that you are 15 years old? If so, don't you think it's a little early to worry about not getting beyond friends?

18, first year undergraduate, I live a life rather similar to an eccentric 18th century gentlemen, sit around a fire with friends and just enjoy eachothers company, debating like this, listening to... Mainly Rachmaniov, oh so very pretentious I know. But at least im.aware of it lol. Its more that im so out of touch with youth culture finding a soul mate is hard.

08-12-2014, 04:08 PM
(08-12-2014 04:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I have two wonderful daughters, 4 and 6.
I get them to think about consequences rather than tell them that something is good vs bad.

My 6 year old had a boy punch her in the face at school and told me about it at home. I asked her if she wants me to go to school and kill the boy.
She said "no"
I asked "Why not?"

I'd say that my girl is a thinker and she is very confident regarding making her own decisions.

I also lie to her quite a bit, generally about trivial or ridiculous things, this way she learns not to trust everything people say. She makes assessments as to whether it is likely true or lie. Pretty great for a 6 year old I think. But then again I am her doting dad, I would think that about her.

I think my parenting style will be tested more when she gets older. I've got to say, it is really difficult to know as a parent what approach to take with kids. Probably won't see the results until years later and by then it would be too late to change my style. I'm sure many parents hold self guilt about not knowing the best approach with guiding the kids.

I'm pretty sure that children learn empathy by mimicking adults. Aren't you worried about them growing up thinking that their role-model is capable of murder? Not trying to sound offensive in any way.

(08-12-2014 04:03 PM)tear151 Wrote:  I wish there was some profoundess to my grief, but I find no proof to suggest it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. Was that an answer to my question?

-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-12-2014, 04:09 PM
(08-12-2014 04:07 PM)tear151 Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 04:04 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Not trying to be rude or nosy, but, haven't you mentioned once that you are 15 years old? If so, don't you think it's a little early to worry about not getting beyond friends?

18, first year undergraduate.

I'm confused Consider

(08-04-2013 11:39 AM)tear151 Wrote:  I'm Michael, A 15 year old from the UK, hoping to one day become either a politician or a physicist.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-12-2014, 04:14 PM
(08-12-2014 04:09 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 04:07 PM)tear151 Wrote:  18, first year undergraduate.

I'm confused Consider

(08-04-2013 11:39 AM)tear151 Wrote:  I'm Michael, A 15 year old from the UK, hoping to one day become either a politician or a physicist.

That was a mistype, I was 16 at the time, I was 17 in the june of that year (2013). Now I'm 18.

A lot of growing up happened in between.

08-12-2014, 04:14 PM
(08-12-2014 04:07 PM)tear151 Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 04:04 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Not trying to be rude or nosy, but, haven't you mentioned once that you are 15 years old? If so, don't you think it's a little early to worry about not getting beyond friends?

18, first year undergraduate, I live a life rather similar to an eccentric 18th century gentlemen, sit around a fire with friends and just enjoy eachothers company, debating like this, listening to... Mainly Rachmaniov, oh so very pretentious I know. But at least im.aware of it lol. Its more that im so out of touch with youth culture finding a soul mate is hard.

Turns out my "projecting" wasn't too far off after all, eh TearyOne?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2014, 04:15 PM
(08-12-2014 04:08 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 04:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I have two wonderful daughters, 4 and 6.

She said "no"
I asked "Why not?"

I'm pretty sure that children learn empathy by mimicking adults. Aren't you worried about them growing up thinking that their role-model is capable of murder? Not trying to sound offensive in any way.

(08-12-2014 04:03 PM)tear151 Wrote:  I wish there was some profoundess to my grief, but I find no proof to suggest it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. Was that an answer to my question?

It's a yes, it's simply personal discomfort, to think of it as otherwise is simply magical thinking.

08-12-2014, 04:16 PM
(08-12-2014 04:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 04:07 PM)tear151 Wrote:  18, first year undergraduate, I live a life rather similar to an eccentric 18th century gentlemen, sit around a fire with friends and just enjoy eachothers company, debating like this, listening to... Mainly Rachmaniov, oh so very pretentious I know. But at least im.aware of it lol. Its more that im so out of touch with youth culture finding a soul mate is hard.

Turns out my "projecting" wasn't too far off after all, eh TearyOne?

I have had the relationships, they simply lacked a certain amount of meaning which I craved and they didn't, I am a socialite mainly, I do get on with people, I'm out of touch in the sense I can't truly connect with anyone, but getting off my tits at a pub and having a fun night out doesn't require some profound connection does it. I will admit it now, that was an entirely knee jerk emotional defence, but you seemed interpreted my ideas as me being some edgy hardcore metal loving thrasher who says fuck you to society, i.e trying to impress you all with how edgy and "cool" and "selfish" I am, I hope it's been made clear later in the thread that wasn't the original intent.

08-12-2014, 04:19 PM
(08-12-2014 04:07 PM)tear151 Wrote:  That was a mistype, I was 16 at the time, I was 17 in the june of that year (2013). Now I'm 18.

A lot of growing up happened in between.

Oh, alright then.

(08-12-2014 04:07 PM)tear151 Wrote:  It's a yes, it's simply personal discomfort, to think of it as otherwise is simply magical thinking.

"Discomfort" is defined as "slight pain". Feeling "slight pain" for a loved one who has died is not quite a normal human behavior. Feeling "great pain" is not magical thinking.

(08-12-2014 04:07 PM)tear151 Wrote:  1Its more that im so out of touch with youth culture finding a soul mate is hard.

Many of us are, but it doesn't have to do with our ideas on morality Thumbsup

And by the way, since you started this thread, what do you think our difference is in simple examples?

-Guybrush Threepwood-