Do we as atheists REALLY have any basis for morals?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-12-2014, 06:35 PM
RE: Do we as atheists REALLY have any basis for morals?
(08-12-2014 06:19 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 05:58 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  {Perk}
Spank?
Whut?

Oh crap.....that was my out loud voice huh?
Dammit

Nevermind (roseanna danna voice)

Have you done something that requires a spanking ?

No butt Witchy gets whatever she wants! Blush
I don't fancy being turned into a newt! Confused

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 06:48 PM
(08-12-2014 06:19 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 05:58 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  {Perk}
Spank?
Whut?

Oh crap.....that was my out loud voice huh?
Dammit

Nevermind (roseanna danna voice)

Have you done something that requires a spanking ?

When am I not in trouble?
Always in trouble.....my whole life.

LOL... Just have to laugh bout it. Cant take myself too seriously.

Seriously.

Just can't.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
08-12-2014, 06:52 PM
(08-12-2014 06:48 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 06:19 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Have you done something that requires a spanking ?

Seriously.

Just can't.

Please don't turn me into a newt.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
08-12-2014, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 06:02 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-12-2014 04:57 PM)tear151 Wrote:  Christian ethics were a reaction to the ethics of the greeks and the roman empire. The Poor felt oppressed, had a system of ethics taught to them that meant that not only were they suffering, they were pathetic.

The poor of the empire (Originating in a culture very talented for simplistic desert folk religion) reacted to this by producing it's own code of ethics, they put "God on the cross", they made they're suffering the new virtue, Meekness the new glory, Wealth prevented one from getting into some glorious afterlife, and that they could find salvation in this servant king, the God of and by the poor.

Nice story, but needs more dragons and vampires. So .. no. Totally wrong.

The ethic ("Do unto others") that developed by Rabbinic Judaism in the late Apocalyptic period after the diaspora, was an attempt by the rabbis to simplify all the old law codes. It boiled down to the "golden rule". Christianity took it from them, and ran with it. It was not Greek AT ALL.

The concept of "evil" the ancient Jews had was appropriated from the choas myths of the Babylonians.

The "suffering servant" existed in Hebrew culture LONG before the sub-sect of Jews, (called "The Way") broke away and stated calling themselves "Christians".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-12-2014, 06:59 PM
(08-12-2014 06:48 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 06:19 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Have you done something that requires a spanking ?

Seriously.

Just can't.

Isn't that what life's all about. One series of troubles after another. Sometimes you laugh about them. Other times you cry. Every now and then you punch 'em in the fucking teeth.Big Grin

08-12-2014, 07:00 PM
(08-12-2014 06:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 04:57 PM)tear151 Wrote:  Christian ethics were a reaction to the ethics of the greeks and the roman empire. The Poor felt oppressed, had a system of ethics taught to them that meant that not only were they suffering, they were pathetic.

The poor of the empire (Originating in a culture very talented for simplistic desert folk religion) reacted to this by producing it's own code of ethics, they put "God on the cross", they made they're suffering the new virtue, Meekness the new glory, Wealth prevented one from getting into some glorious afterlife, and that they could find salvation in this servant king, the God of and by the poor.

The ethic ("Do unto others") that developed by Rabbinic Judaism in the late Apocalyptic period after the diaspora, was an attempt by the rabbis to simplify all the old law codes. It boiled down to the "golden rule". Christianity took it from them, and ran with it. It was not Greek AT ALL.

The concept of "evil" the ancient Jews had was appropriated from the choas myths of the Babylonians.

The "suffering servant" existed in Hebrew culture LONG before the sub-sect of Jews, (called "The Way) broke away and stated calling themselves "Christians".

Im not describing the actual origins, more why it was so successful, the psychology of the believers as it spread like a meme virus.

"A witty quote means nothing"
08-12-2014, 07:16 PM
(08-12-2014 07:00 PM)tear151 Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 06:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nice story, but needs more dragons and vampires. So .. no. Totally wrong.

The "suffering servant" existed in Hebrew culture LONG before the sub-sect of Jews, (called "The Way) broke away and stated calling themselves "Christians".

Im not describing the actual origins, more why it was so successful, the psychology of the believers as it spread like a meme virus.

The reason it was successful was because the Roman emperor wanted to unify his empire and saw it as a tool. He didn't care what they taught about it, as long as they presented it in a unified way, (thus he called the council to argue over and finalize the details). It was a political tool. Most people were totally uneducated, and illiterate. It had been done before once by the Persian Emperor with Israel after the Babylonian exile, and it would be done again by the Arabians when they used Islam to unify their empire. It didn't spread by itself. There was nothing special about this new cult. It borrowed from all the others.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-12-2014, 07:26 PM
(08-12-2014 06:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

For "Christ's" sake Bucky...stop being so smart. You make the rest of us heathens look...well...kind of dumb.Tongue

I think humans have an innate sense of morality from birth. How it is shaped is dependent on their upbringing. How they interpret it as an adult is up to the individual.

08-12-2014, 07:44 PM
(08-12-2014 07:26 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 06:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nice story, but needs more dragons and vampires. So .. no. Totally wrong.

For "Christ's" sake Bucky...stop being so smart. You make the rest of us heathens look...well...kind of dumb.Tongue

I think humans have an innate sense of morality from birth. How it is shaped is dependent on their upbringing. How they interpret it as an adult is up to the individual.

Well since even rats have been shown to have empathy, you're probably on track.
Human values are culturally relative in every culture, (including Christian culture which claims to have "absolutes ... but which we know has all sorts of variations depending on circumstances and interpretations of those circumstances, which the vast numbers of Christian sects in many ways all disagree about), but most important they are LEARNED values and expectations from the cultures in which they exist.

Ok. For Jebus' sake I'll go say my prayers. Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-12-2014, 07:49 PM
(08-12-2014 06:59 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 06:48 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  When am I not in trouble?

Seriously.

Just can't.

Isn't that what life's all about. One series of troubles after another. Sometimes you laugh about them. Other times you cry. Every now and then you punch 'em in the fucking teeth.Big Grin

Yes!
Lol

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.