Do we have the right to tax people in order to help the poor?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2012, 09:35 AM
RE: Do we have the right to tax people in order to help the poor?
(10-02-2012 09:28 AM)Observer Wrote:  For a second I thought you where one of those typical "The babyboomers where the best" type of old farts... but it clearly shows you're just a regular old fart... Big Grin

Such as it is, I take it as a compliment! Big Grin

Quote:I'm going to answer to the OP as well but first I want the read the other post and carefully over-think my response. I have quite the nuanced idea about this.

Finally, someone who is willing to read through the whole thread and think it over!

Music to my ears!

I am looking forward to reading your "nuanced idea". Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2012, 09:40 AM
(10-02-2012 09:35 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 09:28 AM)Observer Wrote:  For a second I thought you where one of those typical "The babyboomers where the best" type of old farts... but it clearly shows you're just a regular old fart... Big Grin

Such as it is, I take it as a compliment! Big Grin
Over here they say: Being young isn’t really an achievement.

Quote:I am looking forward to reading your "nuanced idea".
What’s with the quotes around "nuanced idea" old fart? Dodgy

Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
10-02-2012, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 09:43 AM by Zat.)
(10-02-2012 09:33 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Just o be fair, you did all those nice things by putting it on the credit card....lol! Now we have to pay it off, while supporting you.

You are not supporting me. Rolleyes

I like to think that my pension (using the pension fund that I had paid into for 35 years) comes directly from the income tax of the most harmful rotten bastard in this country who is our current prime minister. Big Grin

(10-02-2012 09:40 AM)Observer Wrote:  What’s with the quotes around "nuanced idea" old fart? Dodgy

I just wanted to give you credit by quoting it. Big Grin
10-02-2012, 09:46 AM
(10-02-2012 08:51 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Everone in this country has an opportunity to make something of themselves. No one deserves a handout.

and
Quote: We can tax people in a fair manner to fund the government. Are you suggesting we tax the rich so we can cut checks to the poor?

OMG Ignorance on this scale has to be self-inflicted.

Which still begs the question: Who are the we in the OP? If 51% of the country is poor, then the poor is we and we have the power to tax anybody any way for any reason we want.
Democracy may be a failed system, as all forms of governance have failed at some time, but the majority still has the power - if not through orderly political procedure, then through force.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
10-02-2012, 09:53 AM
(10-02-2012 09:05 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 08:51 AM)germanyt Wrote:  ... people in this country making a living on the welfare system.

...especially many of the super rich, living off of government contracts and government bailouts.

According to the gospel of capitalist apologists: it is supposed to be 'trickle-down' not 'trickle-up'. Rolleyes

BTW is 'liberal' a dirty word now?

The word implies 'liberty' doesn't it?

And before you call me a 'communist', let me remind you that the word 'communism' implies 'community'.

It is amazing how many beautiful concepts became dirty words in certain circles! Big Grin

LOL. Because Communism is such a great system of government. They really have a grasp on poverty and human rights. I'm also not talking about social liberalism (liberty) but fiscal liberalism. And I don't subscribe to trickle economics. I haven't seen a definitive right way to run the economy from either side of the isle. Some policies work and some don't. One that def will not do anyone any good is wealth redistribution and income equality.

Life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness. No one in this country has an inherant right to middle class suburbia.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
10-02-2012, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 10:14 AM by Zat.)
(10-02-2012 09:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness. No one in this country has an inherant right to middle class suburbia.

"PURSUIT of happiness" does not take you very far if you were born into a poverty-stricken family with a single mother, having to have 3 jobs just to survive. You can PURSUE all you want, the cards are stacked against you from the start.

Equal opportunity?

Give me a break! Rolleyes

BTW, middle class suburbia is my worst nightmare in this country.

I like to live out in the country with elbow room, with nature, with like minded people around me.
10-02-2012, 10:36 AM
(10-02-2012 10:00 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 09:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness. No one in this country has an inherant right to middle class suburbia.

"PURSUIT of happiness" does not take you very far if you were born into a poverty-stricken family with a single mother, having to have 3 jobs just to survive. You can PURSUE all you want, the cards are stacked against you from the start.

Equal opportunity?

Give me a break! Rolleyes

BTW, middle class suburbia is my worst nightmare in this country.

I like to live out in the country with elbow room, with nature, with like minded people around me.

People who have an easier road have it that way because someone in their family worked to make life easier for their future kids and grandkids. Every person has that opportunity. Anyone without a learning or physical disability can graduate high school and go to college. Education is the key to fixing poverty, not wealth redistribution.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
10-02-2012, 10:47 AM
(10-02-2012 10:36 AM)germanyt Wrote:  People who have an easier road have it that way because someone in their family worked to make life easier for their future kids and grandkids.

Worked at what? Whisky trade? Arms trade? Juicy uncontested government contracts? Taking out life insurance on their sick employees and cashing in when they croaked (Walmart, etc)? Financial fraud (derivatives) and speculation? destroying competing superior ideas to stay in business? .... the list is limitless!

Quote:Every person has that opportunity.

Especially the children of the single mother with 3 jobs. Rolleyes

Quote:Education is the key to fixing poverty, not wealth redistribution.

...and where do you think the money comes from for your education that you are planning right now? Whose taxes will pay for it? What have you done to earn it?

Sorry, germanyt, you can't have it both ways (even though I understand the temptation). Big Grin
10-02-2012, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 11:19 AM by germanyt.)
(10-02-2012 10:47 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 10:36 AM)germanyt Wrote:  People who have an easier road have it that way because someone in their family worked to make life easier for their future kids and grandkids.

Worked at what? Whisky trade? Arms trade? Juicy uncontested government contracts? Taking out life insurance on their sick employees and cashing in when they croaked (Walmart, etc)? Financial fraud (derivatives) and speculation? destroying competing superior ideas to stay in business? .... the list is limitless!

Quote:Every person has that opportunity.

Especially the children of the single mother with 3 jobs. Rolleyes

Quote:Education is the key to fixing poverty, not wealth redistribution.

...and where do you think the money comes from for your education that you are planning right now? Whose taxes will pay for it? What have you done to earn it?

Sorry, germanyt, you can't have it both ways (even though I understand the temptation). Big Grin

So you want to tax the responsible ones to aid the poor just because some people earned their money unethically? What about the small business owner that got rich by following all the rules?

I grew up with a single mother of 4. I gradutated high school at 17, joined the Navy, and am now planning to go to LSU to pursue a masters.

Are you referring to my high school education? Because my mom paid taxes that fund public high schools. If you are referring to college, I will be paying for it. I didn't have to do anythign to earn it. I'm a veteran and a taxpayer. I'll take what grants I qualify for and student loans for the rest. And if I have to pay some out of pocket then I'll work to do that.

I'm not sure what you mean by having it both ways.

Bottom line is there are too many lazy hippies like #Occupy that have been brainwashed into thinking they are entitled to something from the rich. While these people are protesting about how hard they have it while they could be working or enrolling in school.

-Mark Twain
10-02-2012, 11:40 AM
(10-02-2012 11:16 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I'll take what grants I qualify for...

and

Quote:brainwashed into thinking they are entitled to...

I rest my case.

germanyt, work on the arithmetic.

I was hoping to get through to you, but now I don't think I will ever be able to.

Can we agree to disagree on this one? Sad