Do we have the right to tax people in order to help the poor?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2012, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 10:32 AM by Zat.)
RE: Do we have the right to tax people in order to help the poor?
(11-02-2012 10:18 AM)Thomas Wrote:  That concludes our econ 101 lesson for today. Thanks for attending the lecture.

I didn't.

I heard it before, many, many times.

You know the old joke:

What is the difference between a neurotic and a psychotic?

The neurotic is the one who builds castles in the air.

The psychotic is the one who moves in.

And the psychiatrist is the one who collects the rent.

Now, if we want to adapt this joke to economics.... Big Grin

Seriously, Thomas, your problem seems to be your inability to think outside your box. I guess you have a lot invested in it. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2012, 10:30 AM
(11-02-2012 09:58 AM)kim Wrote:  Yep, me and that guy in Nebraska -we know what wealth is and we know how we got it... believe me; we don't mind sharing.

Ohhh???

ShyShyShy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-02-2012, 11:08 AM
(11-02-2012 10:28 AM)Zat Wrote:  Seriously, Thomas, your problem seems to be your inability to think outside your box. I guess you have a lot invested in it. Tongue

I'll end my input with your absolutely profound retort.
I hope others have gotten something out of my posts here.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
(11-02-2012 11:08 AM)Thomas Wrote:  I hope others have gotten something out of my posts here.

Erxomai did! You see, you are not alone, you have followers! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
11-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I also got something from your posts Thomas. Thanks!

Just so we're clear, that makes me a follower? Wow Zat, I must say, as of late you have really shown your childish side. It really seems to piss you off when people don't agree with you. Like I mentioned before, perhaps it's time to take the ego down a notch? You may actually find that you'll get something from the discussions if you stop assuming you know more than everyone else here. Sorry to sound nasty, but I'm just callin' it like I see it.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
(11-02-2012 12:03 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I also got something from your posts Thomas. Thanks!

Just so we're clear, that makes me a follower? Wow Zat, I must say, as of late you have really shown your childish side. It really seems to piss you off when people don't agree with you. Like I mentioned before, perhaps it's time to take the ego down a notch? You may actually find that you'll get something from the discussions if you stop assuming you know more than everyone else here. Sorry to sound nasty, but I'm just callin' it like I see it.

I'll defend my friend Zat here, though thanks for the support. Zat is firing out what he believes and speaking his mind. This is very much needed. We have to talk and discuss.

We live in a world right now that is filled with frustration. It does appear that some get away with too much, but we need to take a second and look at real solutions to getting humanity through this pivotal time. I do believe that we are the verge of greatness as a species, but we could be fighting in the streets next week. The T-Party v OWS. Both groups scare me a little. They are both so damn sure they are right.

We need ideas to try, not demons to fight.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
11-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Ideas? Yes. An enthusiastic yes. Even if those ideas prove to be ineffective after analysis, yes.

Telling people things like, "You're problem is......" is NOT productive. I mean shit. Don't get me wrong. I'm totally ok with those things being said. But I refuse to pretend they are something that they are not. Constantly telling people they are not reading, that they have a problem, etc. is childish and unproductive. I've seen more than one person throw their hands in the air and walk away from discussions because of this, when that person had some great things to contribute. Zat has done the same when he had some great things to contribute.

Ya gotta understand, when I call someone out on something like this, I ONLY do it if I think the person can take it, and if the persons opinions matter to me. We all need to be slapped up side the head from time to time, and it's my opinion Zat needs it now. If I didn't like the guy and want to hear what he has to say, I wouldn't bother. Hell, I probably need a slap more often than most others here!

11-02-2012, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 03:52 PM by Zat.)
(11-02-2012 12:03 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It really seems to piss you off when people don't agree with you.

That's not what pisses me off, Stark, but I have explained before, many times, what pisses me off and there is no reason for me to repeat it here.

You are entitled to your opinion, no doubt, just as I am entitled to mine. Smile

As far as taking ego down a notch or two, or taking mental laziness (of a few individuals I called on it) down a few more (not reading my arguments, misstating my posts, often to the opposite of what I had said ) -- it is also a matter of opinion.

Now whether it is childishness to keep refuting misstatements, misunderstandings and implied or explicit slurs, it is also a matter of opinion.

I was rude once recently (to Jeff) and I apologized for it. The other times I am trying to be as polite (sarcasm notwithstanding) as I can be.

I don't think that I know more than everybody else, however, I do have strong opinions, based on years of research and thinking and I try to present and defend them, honestly, to the best of my abilities.

I have a completely open mind, however I refuse to discuss topics as bizarre as "whether the Earth is truly flat or not" (of course it is only my own estimate that decides when a topic falls into this category or not.)

If the above explanation is not quite satisfactory for you, then we can agree to disagree and keep on trucking.

No hard feelings, of course! Smile

(11-02-2012 12:51 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Telling people things like, "You're problem is......" is NOT productive.

You mean something like this:?

(11-02-2012 08:02 AM)Thomas Wrote:  Here's the real problem:
You think someone else has your stuff and you want the government to go take it from "the they".
"They" are not going to let it happen. The government is run by the "they".
My advice to you is to shut up whining about someone else having more stuff than you.
You're not getting the "participation trophy" that you got in grade school.
Reality has set in and you don't like it. Too bad. Reality will not change no matter how much you whine!
Go find some sort of job or three. Work your way up. Get training / education. Scrape by and grind it out.
Then one day you can be on a website forum typing what I'm typing to a 20 something who has been told all his life that the world owes him something.
Where's my "participation trophy". Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
You don't get one. The trophies go to those that actually accomplishg something
So focus on accomplishing something for yourself and not bitching about the accomplishments of others calling it "unethical".

Have a nice day.

Which was what I responded to when I said "Your problem is..."

Funny that you noticed mine and didn't notice his.

You see what I mean?

Rolleyes
11-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Oh I noticed all of it. It's quite possible that I hold you to a higher standard because I SEE the thinking that goes into what you say, regardless of whether I think you are right or wrong. Is it fair to hold you to a higher standard than those who I don't know as well? (as much as you can "know" someone on the internet that is) Possibly not. But I do anyways. I see real genius in your thinking Zat, but with that comes high expectations. It's just the way I am brother.

11-02-2012, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 02:30 PM by Zat.)
(11-02-2012 01:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Oh I noticed all of it. It's quite possible that I hold you to a higher standard because I SEE the thinking that goes into what you say,

Fair enough, Stark -- I will try to live up to your "higher expectation" -- if it kills me! Big Grin

Patience is, unfortunately, not one of my virtues. Sad

Here is another example (since we are talking about my conduct on this Forum).

Right on this thread germanyt accused me of: "What you are suggesting is income equality".

When I told him this wasn't true and suggested that he read my "Proposal for a New Social Contract" thread, he replied: "So lazy fucks who do nothing get provided for by the hard work of others?"

When I told him that it is the exact opposite of my proposal, he said: "Also, way to throw freedom and liberty out the window by forcing citizens to contribute in specific ways. Sounds a lot like a labor camp to me".

First criticizing me for letting them "not contribute", then, without admitting misunderstanding, he criticized me for wanting to put them into "labour camps".

He never even read the whole OP, let alone the whole thread in which this was discussed in detail and I answered a lot of questions. He just got hung up an a few trigger words and accused me of all kinds of things I was totally innocent of.

So how can you deal with someone this irrational, other than throwing up your hand and walking away (after suggesting to him, gently, to read the whole thing)? Big Grin

I have many other examples like this, when I told people to go back and read the whole thread, carefully, without missing anything, before continuing the conversation. It's not my fault if some people don't pay attention to what they read and then accuse me of the exact opposite (like "blaming science" Rolleyes -- me a science worshipper and a retired scientist) of what I had said.

I better stop now before I get all pissed off again! Big Grin