Do we have the right to tax people in order to help the poor?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2012, 11:35 PM
RE: Do we have the right to tax people in order to help the poor?
Thomas, will you be my forum BFF? Just don't tell Kingschosen.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
12-02-2012, 12:46 AM
This is something i've noticed. When i looked up the quote from Dom Helder Camara
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist"
the answers that came up on Yahoo all had to do with taxation, hypocrisy or redistribution of wealth.
Nobody discussed who this guy Camara was; whether he was a saint or communitst, in what context he said this... and nobody paid attention to the actual content of the quote. They all leap three or four paces ahead to expected, assumed, likely or possible implications. The same thing keeps happening here.
Nobody wants to deal with the question.

Why are they poor?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
12-02-2012, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 07:23 AM by Zat.)
(12-02-2012 12:46 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  The same thing keeps happening here.
Nobody wants to deal with the question.

Why are they poor?

That's not entirely true, Peterkin.

Thomas told me, in no uncertain terms, why I am poor.

He knew nothing about me and, without any foundation, he assumed that I am a 20-something whining lazy bum who thinks he is entitled to his betters' riches, without having made an effort to get an education, get a training or "get a job or three".

Now why would he automatically assume these things about me (not realizing that I was a 71 year old retired Physicist with a lifetime of achievements and accomplishments)?

Because I was fighting for social justice?

Because he felt threatened by the very concept of social justice?

I don't want to make the same mistake he made and just make unfounded assumptions. Only he can tell, if he is telling, or even knows it himself? Big Grin

Here is the quote from his post I am referring to:

(11-02-2012 08:02 AM)Thomas Wrote:  Here's the real problem:
You think someone else has your stuff and you want the government to go take it from "the they".
"They" are not going to let it happen. The government is run by the "they".
My advice to you is to shut up winning about someone else having more stuff than you.
You're not getting the "participation trophy" that you got in grade school.
Reality has set in and you don't like it. Too bad. Reality will not change no matter how huch you whine!
Go find some sort of job or three. Work your way up. Get training / education. Scrape by and grind it out.
Then one day you can be on a website forum typing what I'm typing to a 20 something who has been told all his life that the world owes him something.
Where's my "participation trophy". Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
You don't get one. The trophies go to those that actually accomplishg something
So focus on accomplishing something for yourself and not bitching about the accomplishments of others calling it "unethical".

Have a nice day.

You see, this is the mental image you are supposed to have about poor people.

Rich people go to enormous length of propaganda and brainwashing to spread and reinforce this image in the middle class, so they turn against the victims, instead of the perpetrators.

Clever policy, I have to admit and, unfortunately, it seems to be working (just read germanyt's posts and you will see how well)! Angry
12-02-2012, 08:14 AM
(12-02-2012 12:46 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Why are they poor?

I've said it half a dozen times. Because they are uneducated. And many times it's no fault of their own. Some school systems and parents just suck. How many 120+ IQ HS graduates are there in poverty? Probably none unless they are just plain lazy or #Occupiers.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
12-02-2012, 08:33 AM
To assess the benefit of education in the United States, I recommend studying the following report on "Unemployment with tertiary education; male (% of male unemployment) in the United States"

Make sure you click on the "View Chart" in the different educational categories.

Should give you an idea. Smile
12-02-2012, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 08:57 AM by N.E.OhioAtheist.)
(12-02-2012 08:14 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

I've said it half a dozen times. Because they are uneducated. And many times it's no fault of their own. Some school systems and parents just suck. How many 120+ IQ HS graduates are there in poverty? Probably none unless they are just plain lazy or #Occupiers.
BULLSHIT!

I know a friend that has 2 masters and couldn't buy a job. She is 55 years old. she has ended up working in a bar. She has her master deg. in engineering and I am not sure on the other one. It all has the to with Architectural building. She has 30 years experience yet still couldn't find a job. She's just to old for a company to hire. Your full of shit on education.
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
12-02-2012, 02:46 PM

I've said it half a dozen times. Because they are uneducated.

I suppose that's as profound and comprehensive an analysis as one can reasonably expect.
Which then leads to the question: Why does the Soon-to-haves party work so diligently and successfully to defund public schools and place higher education out of reach of the majority? Supplementary: Why has Dick Brothers been making war on the teachers' union?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
(12-02-2012 02:46 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  

I've said it half a dozen times. Because they are uneducated.

I suppose that's as profound and comprehensive an analysis as one can reasonably expect.
Which then leads to the question: Why does the Soon-to-haves party work so diligently and successfully to defund public schools and place higher education out of reach of the majority? Supplementary: Why has Dick Brothers been making war on the teachers' union?

This genius thinks "It's a Biblical principle. If you double a teacher's pay scale, you'll attract people who aren't called to teach." How have I managed to remain a registered Republican for the last 30 years? [Image: a57910b0ce28.gif] This must be how the Hellbound Preacher feels.

Back to taxes. I've been poor and while I'm by no means rich now this tool indicates that my income is in the top 10%. And yes, my education is why I'm no longer poor. But I see taxes pragmatically. Shit's gotta get paid for and social safety nets are a prophylactic against far more dire consequences. You want to save Social Security in the US, quit giving me a $750/month raise every August once I reach the cap.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-02-2012, 05:34 PM

It's Jesus' fault.

Quote:For you always have the poor with you, but you do not always have Me.” John 12:8 NASB

Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-02-2012, 05:53 PM
(12-02-2012 08:51 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  

BULLSHIT!

I know a friend that has 2 masters and couldn't buy a job. She is 55 years old. she has ended up working in a bar. She has her master deg. in engineering and I am not sure on the other one. It all has the to with Architectural building. She has 30 years experience yet still couldn't find a job. She's just to old for a company to hire. Your full of shit on education.

While I often (maybe usually) agree with you, I suggest you get the chip off your shoulder - you will be more clearly heard and understood.Angel

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user