Do we have the "stuff" to travel beyond our solar system?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: Do we have the "stuff" to travel beyond our solar system?
(07-02-2013 12:20 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  It may increase every 10 years but I was assuming the question was could we do this now.

I see the nuclear bomb acceleration idea being very problematic... It would be difficult to build a bottom to that star ship that didn't get destroyed by the repeat nuclear explosions.
Actually the pusher plate turned about to be the easiest part. Turns out solid steel is extremely resistant to nuclear explosions. And we're not talking the Tsar bomba here, we're talking about 300kTon at most. It's estimated there'd be 0 - 1mm of ablation with each blast. That is, if you couldn't oil coat the pusher plate every few explosions. Then the ablation rate becomes a big fat 0.

They discovered this when a large steel sphere was hung near the Castle Bravo explosion. They found the ball afterward, and found workers' fingerprints embossed into the steel; with the steel around them ablated by about a quarter millimeter.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
07-02-2013, 12:35 PM
What about sticking several fusion reactors under there? Wouldn't that give far more control without the pesky side effects?

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
07-02-2013, 12:37 PM
(07-02-2013 12:24 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  They discovered this when a large steel sphere was hung near the Castle Bravo explosion. They found the ball afterward, and found workers' fingerprints embossed into the steel; with the steel around them ablated by about a quarter millimeter.

Oh shit, I remember reading about that! Yes

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
07-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Darn. Tis a bummer, this article. But the outlook may have improved in the past 5 years. Thumbsup

I don't really care that it doesn't seem worth the time it would take to build something to get us off this rock.
Fuck it.
The questions are simple: What is Science worth? What is the future worth? Dodgy

07-02-2013, 12:57 PM
(07-02-2013 12:35 PM)kim Wrote:  What about sticking several fusion reactors under there? Wouldn't that give far more control without the pesky side effects?

Nope. A reactor is a contained reaction. It is impossible to efficiently turn a contained nuclear reaction into thrust. They've been trying since the 40s, you just can't get any thrust with a reactor, or if you do the fuel efficiency is terrible.

Nuclear bombs are the most efficient way we have to apply thrust to a vehicle.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
07-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Why do we need to physically take humans to a nearby star system right now? Lets first learn how to make self sufficient interstellar ecosystems so we can survive the trip. Even then, wouldn't sending probes there first be more prudent? I mean, why take the effort to go there physically when we don't even know what's there first?

I recommend locating an interesting destination and learning how to survive self sufficiently in space for > 1 year before traipsing. At this point we are still working on how to send humans to Mars. Have we figured out the air and food issues for that trip yet? Last I heard was no.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
07-02-2013, 01:09 PM
(07-02-2013 12:57 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 12:35 PM)kim Wrote:  What about sticking several fusion reactors under there? Wouldn't that give far more control without the pesky side effects?

Nope. A reactor is a contained reaction. It is impossible to efficiently turn a contained nuclear reaction into thrust. They've been trying since the 40s, you just can't get any thrust with a reactor, or if you do the fuel efficiency is terrible.

Forgive my ignorance of physics, but wouldn't the sudden spike in G-forces kill the passengers?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
(07-02-2013 12:57 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  ... you just can't get any thrust with a reactor, or if you do the fuel efficiency is terrible.

I thought about that as soon as I posted. It would be real efficient with sever hundred or a thousand. Bit much? Unsure

07-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Ohmy This is so cool! *lifts jaw from floor* I think I'm gonna be having fun researching all this stuff, and getting up to date! Thanks for the replies written so far! Keep them coming! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-02-2013, 12:58 AM
(07-02-2013 01:09 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 12:57 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Nope. A reactor is a contained reaction. It is impossible to efficiently turn a contained nuclear reaction into thrust. They've been trying since the 40s, you just can't get any thrust with a reactor, or if you do the fuel efficiency is terrible.

Forgive my ignorance of physics, but wouldn't the sudden spike in G-forces kill the passengers?

That's why you need shock absorbers. The design in the 50s used a combination of mechanical and pneumatic shocks, two or three stories high.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.