Do we live in a "computer simulation"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Quote:Some physicists and university researchers say it's possible to test the theory that our entire universe exists inside a computer simulation, like in the 1999 film "The Matrix."In 2003, University of Oxford philosophy professor Nick Bostrom published a paper, "The Simulation Argument," which argued that, "we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation." Now, a team at Cornell University says it has come up with a viable method for testing whether we're all just a series of numbers in some ancient civilization's computer game.
Researchers at the University of Washington agree with the testing method, saying it can be done. Asimilar proposal was put forth by German physicists in November.
So how, precisely, can we test whether we exist? Put simply, researchers are building their own simulated models, using a technique called lattice quantum chromodynamics. And while those models are currently able to produce models only slightly larger than the nucleus of an atom, University of Washington physics professor Martin Savage says the same principles used in creating those simulations can be applied on a larger scale.
"This is the first testable signature of such an idea," Savage said. "If you make the simulations big enough, something like our universe should emerge."
The testing method is far more complex. Consider the Cornell University explanation: "Using the historical development of lattice gauge theory technology as a guide, we assume that our universe is an early numerical simulation with unimproved Wilson fermion discretization and investigate potentially-observable consequences."
To translate, if energy signatures in our simulations match those in the universe at large, there's a good chance we, too, exist within a simulation.
Interestingly, one of Savage's students takes the hypothesis further: If we stumble upon the nature of our existence, would we then look for ways to communicate with the civilization who created us?
University of Washington student Zohreh Davoudi says whoever made our simulated universe might have made others, and maybe we should "simply" attempt to communicate with those. "The question is, 'Can you communicate with those other universes if they are running on the same platform?'" she asked.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/who...25825.html

Consider

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2012, 04:30 AM
RE: Do we live in a "computer simulation"?
Brian Greene, (Columbia Physics) thinks we are a holographic manifestation of data running, (just as data is preserved as something falls into a black hole on it's surface), on the surface of our universe. So you might be right.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

15-12-2012, 04:51 AM
They say a "computer simulation".... but could it be said that if their tests come back with positive results, that our universe could be compared to that of a simulation. That we dont "live" in a simulation. Consider

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
15-12-2012, 07:06 AM
There is no good reason to believe that we do.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Researchers at the UDub would seem to disagree with you. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-12-2012, 08:14 AM
(15-12-2012 07:20 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Researchers at the UDub would seem to disagree with you. Drinking Beverage

They only seem to disagree with me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
15-12-2012, 09:28 AM
(15-12-2012 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-12-2012 07:20 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Researchers at the UDub would seem to disagree with you. Drinking Beverage

They only seem to disagree with me.

Exactly.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Absolute waste of time and money. There is nothing to be gained from this.

It's like testing for the existence of God. Nothing could be 100 percent proven because let's say in this instance we were inside of a computer simulation... Who's to say there wouldn't be measures in place to defend against any test that would reveal our actual world. So if the test came back negative it could mean nothing. If it came back positive it could mean nothing as well, because what if it came back positive but it was god who made that outcome happen to throw us off his sneaky little trail.

This reminds me of the study showing that since the invention of the car there have been more car related deaths. Pointless.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
15-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Even if we are in a simuilation, what does it matter? Other than it proving why life seems to be so stacked against certain poeple and in favor of some others. If we are able to set up our own simulatios that are as complex as our own, there would be only one way to prove that our own is real or fake. If you look at our world, you know that computers have a finite amout of memory and hardware limits. If we are in a computer sim then we can endevour to take up space by creating more simulations until we cause the computer simulation we are part of to crash and become glitchy. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if the program does collapse. If we are simulations then the computer would be upgraded and then re-initialized at the point of the crash or maybe scrapped.
15-12-2012, 02:16 PM
The comments below that article made me laugh. Smile

"Holy #$%$!!! Pot hasn't even been legal in Washington State for a month and look where we are already!"

"Makes perfect sense. How else do you explain the popularity of the Hiltons and Kardashians?"

"I hope nothing happens to the power supply."

"13.5 billion years to get to this point ??? They must still be on dial-up ???"

"If our existence is a computer simulation, the game sucks."

"I'd like to request a transfer to another simulation, preferably one with less war, famine, and no Kardashians."

"This simulation has too many virus's in its government software....."

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post