Do we live in a "computer simulation"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2012, 10:40 AM
RE: Do we live in a "computer simulation"?
[Image: 32095874.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
20-12-2012, 08:22 AM
this universe does seem to have properties of a simulation but it is unlikely that there is some kind of infinite progression of simulation within simulation. Each simulation is likely to have an energy/entropy impact on the universe it is built on. This would constrain it to have either a lower resolution or a smaller size than its parent simulation.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
20-12-2012, 08:37 AM
(20-12-2012 08:22 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  this universe does seem to have properties of a simulation but it is unlikely that there is some kind of infinite progression of simulation within simulation. Each simulation is likely to have an energy/entropy impact on the universe it is built on. This would constrain it to have either a lower resolution or a smaller size than its parent simulation.

Claiming we are a simulation is like claiming that life on earth came from elsewhere.
It answers no question, it solves no problem, it just moves the solution a level away.

Regress Regress Regress Regress Regress ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-12-2012, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2012 09:09 AM by Hafnof.)
It solves a problem if proposing it allows you to detect it and start to investigate properties of the universe above us, just like proposing a multiverse solves a problem if doing so allows you to identify force disturbances that come from other universes/branes/whatever.

In the end, proposing true things that make surprising but verifiable predictions solves a problem. Proposing false things or even true things that fail to make surprising and verifiable predictions don't help, unless they kick off someone's thought process towards something that does produce surprising and verifiable predictions.

Questioning assumptions and testing fundamental assumptions sometimes yields surprising results and sometimes increases our knowledge in hugely important ways. Not often, but often enough to keep doing it Smile

More specifically, we can't argue that an idea is bad just because it doesn't reach some end goal of ultimate knowledge. Science doesn't care about the consequences of an idea. It only cares whether or not the idea is true. Saying that it doesn't help because it just tells us there is another universe out there is like saying that the idea of other galaxies than the milky way is not a useful idea because it just means that there are more galaxies to understand. If they exist, the idea is useful. If they don't exist well, the idea was bunkum. If they exist and we censor our thinking because we don't like the consequences, then we're poorer for our lack of imagination.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
20-12-2012, 09:47 AM
(20-12-2012 09:03 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It solves a problem if proposing it allows you to detect it and start to investigate properties of the universe above us, just like proposing a multiverse solves a problem if doing so allows you to identify force disturbances that come from other universes/branes/whatever.

In the end, proposing true things that make surprising but verifiable predictions solves a problem. Proposing false things or even true things that fail to make surprising and verifiable predictions don't help, unless they kick off someone's thought process towards something that does produce surprising and verifiable predictions.

Questioning assumptions and testing fundamental assumptions sometimes yields surprising results and sometimes increases our knowledge in hugely important ways. Not often, but often enough to keep doing it Smile

More specifically, we can't argue that an idea is bad just because it doesn't reach some end goal of ultimate knowledge. Science doesn't care about the consequences of an idea. It only cares whether or not the idea is true. Saying that it doesn't help because it just tells us there is another universe out there is like saying that the idea of other galaxies than the milky way is not a useful idea because it just means that there are more galaxies to understand. If they exist, the idea is useful. If they don't exist well, the idea was bunkum. If they exist and we censor our thinking because we don't like the consequences, then we're poorer for our lack of imagination.

You make a cogent argument. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-12-2012, 12:19 AM
(17-12-2012 04:21 PM)Pham Nguyen Wrote:  Also, what happens when we die? Do we go to the recycle bin? Big Grin

Nope.
We'll be sent to /dev/null

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
24-12-2012, 08:25 AM
No. Since I think, therefore I am.
24-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Do we live in a "computer simulation"?
(24-12-2012 08:25 AM)namiloveyou Wrote:  No. Since I think, therefore I am.

That's what you were programmed to think. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
24-12-2012, 08:36 AM
yeah.... the Architect of the Matrix said so after all....
24-12-2012, 08:39 AM
(15-12-2012 02:16 PM)Vosur Wrote:  The comments below that article made me laugh. Smile

"Holy #$%$!!! Pot hasn't even been legal in Washington State for a month and look where we are already!"

"Makes perfect sense. How else do you explain the popularity of the Hiltons and Kardashians?"

"I hope nothing happens to the power supply."

"13.5 billion years to get to this point ??? They must still be on dial-up ???"

"If our existence is a computer simulation, the game sucks."

"I'd like to request a transfer to another simulation, preferably one with less war, famine, and no Kardashians."

"This simulation has too many virus's in its government software....."

Indeed.
Such a waste of time researching something that can't be experimented upon.
Fools, they are!

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage