Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM
RE: Do we owe each other anything?
Did I forget to tell you?

In real life I am Speedy Gonzales! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 04:38 PM by Observer.)
(10-02-2012 04:30 PM)Zat Wrote:  What was your point again? Big Grin
That the answer to the question "do we owe each other anything" is:
Yes. Responsibility.
(10-02-2012 04:35 PM)Zat Wrote:  Did I forget to tell you?

In real life I am Speedy Gonzales! Big Grin

pass the aspirin speedy

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
10-02-2012, 04:43 PM
(10-02-2012 04:35 PM)Observer Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 04:30 PM)Zat Wrote:  What was your point again? Big Grin
That the answer to the question "do we owe each other anything" is:
Yes. Responsibility.

It sounds like we are saying the same thing -- unless we interpret 'responsibility' in a completely different way.

My interpretation is: cause minimum harm, cause maximum benefit.

What is yours?
10-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Ok... here's our problem then...

I interpret responsibility more as a form of involvement...
I'm bouncing against the limits of my knowledge of English Sad

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
10-02-2012, 04:56 PM
(10-02-2012 04:54 PM)Observer Wrote:  I interpret responsibility more as a form of involvement

I prefer 'substance' (results) over 'form'. Smile
10-02-2012, 05:08 PM
(10-02-2012 04:56 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 04:54 PM)Observer Wrote:  I interpret responsibility more as a form of involvement
I prefer 'substance' (results) over 'form'. Smile

Rebooting plug-in "English"
I Interpret responsibility as the result of involvement

Dammit!

"Verantwoordelijkheid is betrokkenheid bij de gevolgen van je daden"--> "Responsibility is involved in the consequences of your actions"
that doesn’t sound right...
curse you GoogleTranslate

help me out here...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
(10-02-2012 05:08 PM)Observer Wrote:  "Responsibility is involved in the consequences of your actions"
that doesn’t sound right...
curse you GoogleTranslate

help me out here...

Yep - I can dig it.
And I agree. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I think that responsibility is an attitude.

Before acting, consider ALL your options and ALL the possible consequences of your actions or lack of action.

First: "do no harm if at all possible"

Second: "try to maximize benefit for all involved, while doing minimum harm if you absolutely have to".

Third: "own up to all your actions, the alternatives you considered and the reasons for doing what you did."

Fourth: "live with the results with a clear conscience, knowing that you did your best, to do what you believed had to be done".

Well, how about that? Huh
10-02-2012, 05:21 PM
this is "new thread worthy"

'll chew on it for a while and get back to you but for now my left brain lobe hurts

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
10-02-2012, 05:31 PM
If you remove human emotions.....(especially empathy) then I would say no we dont owe each other diddly squit.

You asked this in another post Zat and I still stick to my answer as a contibution to thought now as I did back then......the answer is in relation to the scenario of the drowning child.

Quote:I myself have been fortunate enough in life I consider.....to have had a lot of love and understanding and trust in my life to shape me into the way I am. I have seen and been shown how to be considerate to others and I have experienced it myself firsthand. This gives me the general outlook that life can be good given the right circumstances, and whilst I may not see my the right circumstances all the time I try to implement them and have hope and faith in my conviction that I can do so.

However on the other hand......there are people out there who are born into hate and solitude and thats what shapes them into the people they are. They may have seen nothing of love and consideration and when they have generally it may have been fleeting and infrequent enough to make a permanent impact on there overall outlook.

So potentially the man in the boat may see the child drowning in a completly different way to than how we do......he may not be able to comprehend our outlooks whilst we cannot fully comprehend his.

So.......if you did pull the trigger on the man and kill him......then you would be doing it based only upon his life up until that point.......which potentially could of been completey outside of his control.

Which potentially means ......on that judgment.....he could reverse it and shoot you for rescuing the child.

EDIT: So basiclally answering your question Zat paradoxically I would have to say yes and no Smile

(although I side with the yes side)

We are all but tiny pieces of what collectivly make the world the picture that it is today.....im gonna sound really "hippyish" when I say that I think to experience "love" and good really healthy and positive experiences in life gives you the scope and the experience to re-enact those scenarios with empathy......its only in having experienced them that can we "afford" to share that experience in part.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.